Do Something Challenge Discussion Thread

FWIW, when we first started doing this at the other forum many years ago, it took me every bit of 6 days to do a song (drums, rhythm guitars & bass) and there were weeks where I missed an entry due to how long it took me. Now, after years of doing it, my current "record" is an hour and 50 minutes. If a schlep like me can do that, y'all are home run hitters.

Gotta lay aside the desire to make it all perfect and just do your best. My best sucks and I'm okay with that. :rofl

"Perfection is procrastination in disguise".

Maybe we shouldn't overthink this and just start doing what Drew thinks is cool. Looking forward to this! I think it will be very interesting to hear what different styles of music the forum members come up with.
Sure. That can work too. 😊. But it’s also fun helping to fine-tune or think of different scenarios.

One alternative idea that doesn’t seem quite as punitive as lower point value for items that might be considered “easy” for the experienced: Maybe you have trophies or points by category. So you could standard the categories:
- Full Production - Original Song (many parts as stated before)
- Full Production - Cover Song (same - but cover song)
- Partial Production - Original (could be like improv / original solo over a backing track or an original rhythm over a drum track)
- Partial Production - Cover (could be just the rhythm of a cover song over a backing track)

Then just give everyone 1 point for completion in their category. It will be obvious that someone with 5 points in “Full Production - Original Song” - is more skilled and likely put in more effort. But then a person (like me) getting 5 points in “Partial Production - Cover” - still feels good. Versus someone having 20 points, and someone else, who did their best to their capabilities every week only showing 5 points.

You could have fun with it and create little icons for each of the categories, and we could have points by each. So a person could have 3 Strats, 2 Les Pauls, 2 Amps, etc. something fun like that.

I don’t know. Probably overthinking this. But the optics seem different in this scenario vs. The other point system.

Also - if it’s not obvious - I do appreciate the effort and planning Drew is putting into this, and am not trying to poo poo the approach at all. Just offering some other ideas. I’ll be a good team player regardless…. 😊

That last sentence is huge! Well put. :beer

A guy with kids and a family and lesser ability may struggle more putting one hour in
than a guy without as many commitments who put in 10 hours. It could require more of
him to just give that hour than we know.

Not to get borderline religious, but it reminds me of that tale about the woman with
two pence who gave it all, versus the man with more who gave less than all. :idk

I don't know what other people's commitments are in life, and what else they have
going on. It could be less or more than my own. But if someone makes the effort to
offer anything I feel like that should be the entire point. No punt intended!! :LOL:

This is really why there’s a weekly challenge and a bi-weekly challenge. I’d think just those would even things out enough for people, so even if you had a wife, kid and a dog that sh*ts uncontrollably on all your gear, you’d have 2 entire weeks to get something done.

But you are diminishing their efforts by assigning lower point values. 😉

Conversely, I’d find it diminishing the efforts of someone contributing an entirely original, fully tracked song in comparison to someone improvising over a backing track. Even if someone understands how to record and is experienced with it, it still takes a great amount of effort to write and record a song. If not, I’d have 40 albums out by now.

Add in that someone will be contributing backing tracks, drum MIDI’s for other people, that’s now adding in another aspect where someone is doing more work than others but getting awarded the same.

I think it should be kept in mind this is a challenge. It’s not “Stay Inside Your Comfort Zone A Week” and the points are meant to be more a self-marker that might not mean much in week’s 1 or 2, but by week’s 3 and 4, when you see everyone keeping up with it weekly/bi-weekly but you dropped out, that’s where the healthy competition starts coming in with “Sh*t, I need to step up!”

No one has to take part. It very well might not be for everyone as some people just want to play their guitar and talk gear. There’s also the option to not give as sh*t about the points at all and still contribute, which is what I had to do on the other forum when work was kicking my ass around.

Alright, the first week I’m just going to post a drum track and a drum MIDI, do whatever ya’ll want with it and we’ll go from there.

I’m getting more frustrated trying to even lay out the ground work and I’m going to end up throwing in the towel before we even start if I keep going. When I get home tonight I’ll post it up.

I’m going to break back out my humble recording rig right now to prepare for this DEATH MATCH.

Might need some tard advice on importing the drum track into Logic.

Def going to need some mixing advice if/when I come up with something on this 325 bpm drum pattern Drew drops.

Alright, the first week I’m just going to post a drum track and a drum MIDI, do whatever ya’ll want with it and we’ll go from there.

I’m getting more frustrated trying to even lay out the ground work and I’m going to end up throwing in the towel before we even start if I keep going. When I get home tonight I’ll post it up.
Don’t let us stress you out! (And sorry if I contributed to any frustration).

It’s all good - appreciate you!!

They don’t, really, because the prize at the end of the week is knowing you did something. The points are more meant for the contributors, bragging rights are “I contributed!”, so in that sense, I can understand the desire for 1 point-for-all, but like I said, I know what it’s like to put in a massive amount of effort and come up short because someone smoked you in contributions by improvising over a backing track.

Just an example, here are some of my previous submissions-

The two full songs took me a straight week to complete, the last track was a Lead Of The Week I submitted because I was either running low on steam that week or had extra time after finishing a full song; I improvised over it a couple times, pressed Record after I understood the changes and spent maybe 15 minutes entirely on it.

Hey I was just trying to be funny🤷🏻
I agree that the point system will be beneficial to keep a baseline of participation 👍
Now tell me more about this E minor track 😂😂😂

Still catching up on the thread but this is really cool. I’d be interested even on stuff like Riff or Lick of the week.

I’m down for collaboration stuff as well, work and life in general permitting (i.e. compilation of guitar solos recordings or videos over backing tracks, et al)

Suggestion: We could start the challenge with a cover.

1673025333351.gif

Back