Do Something Challenge Discussion Thread

Sorry guys, I really had to disconnect this weekend and get whatever rest I could. Work kicked the sh*t out of me last week and I‘m starting this week knowing I’m not going to have staff to cover everything I need, which means I’ll be getting the sh*t kicked out of me again this week.

When I get home tonight I’ll make the thread for Week 4.

Sorry guys, I really had to disconnect this weekend and get whatever rest I could. Work kicked the sh*t out of me last week and I‘m starting this week knowing I’m not going to have staff to cover everything I need, which means I’ll be getting the sh*t kicked out of me again this week.

When I get home tonight I’ll make the thread for Week 4.
Is the bi-weekly thing no longer a thing? Not sure having two different categories really made much sense in the first place. What's the difference between posting bi-weekly, and posting weekly but missing half the time? :D

(Asking for a friend/ maybe I'll actually finish a second recording some day.)

teacher-jpg.159661

Actually, no.
:sofa
If someone participates in the bi weekly and submits one clip within every two weeks they’re on time.

If someone is participating weekly, but only submits one clip every two weeks they are missing half of their clips being on time within a week, and the number of clips being late accumulates as every week goes by.

:idk

So I’m thinking yes.

However someone can submit as many or as few clips as they like throughout the challenge.

:beer

If someone participates in the bi weekly and submits one clip within every two weeks they’re on time.

If someone is participating weekly, but only submits one clip every two weeks they are missing half of their clips being on time within a week, and the number of clips being late accumulates as every week goes by.

:idk

So I’m thinking yes.

However someone can submit as many or as few clips as they like throughout the challenge.

:beer
You missed the "participates in the bi weekly but fails to submit one clip within every two weeks" scenario.

I still haven't decided whether my first submission was a late Bi-weekly #1 or an early Bi-weekly #2, so I can't tell whether I'll be early or late for every deadline hereafter. (And even that's being optimistic LOL.) I'm on NDSP time. :rofl

You missed the "participates in the bi weekly but fails to submit one clip within every two weeks" scenario.
I only addressed your initial question.

I still haven't decided whether my first submission was a late Bi-weekly #1 or an early Bi-weekly #2
If you get your 2nd one in this week you’re right into the never having missed cycle going forwards. Given a production of two additional clips within the next two bi weekly segments.

ImpoliteSpecificArcherfish-max-1mb.gif

Don’t get wrapped up in the cadence other than to pick the time that you’re gonna work on it; ie one week or two. That’s the main constraint that helps you get it done.

I did week one, and then life happened. I’m furnishing the studio w new junk in between trying to learn the tools.

Unfortunately, my wife’s office is on the opposite side of my music wall. Literally… 😆

I "found" my drum track last night. I have some riffs but the beat was not popping out in DKFH. I'll need to do some judicious editing to see if I can make it work on my end. Fingers crossed :bag :satan

Unfortunately, my wife’s office is on the opposite side of my music wall. Literally… 😆
My daughter's bedroom is immediately above the "guitar half" of my music room's ceiling. And my/ my wife's bedroom is immediately above the drum kit half. #impractical :(

I "found" my drum track last night. I have some riffs but the beat was not popping out in DKFH. I'll need to do some judicious editing to see if I can make it work on my end. Fingers crossed :bag :satan
I managed to comp together one chorus of a jazz arrangement that I've been meaning to build an actual composition around. I was laying in a simple bass line just to check whether my timing was honest when I got sidetracked. I'm probably in way over my head anyway. Might wind up exporting a chorus or two and calling it "concise" LOL.

I managed to comp together one chorus of a jazz arrangement that I've been meaning to build an actual composition around. I was laying in a simple bass line just to check whether my timing was honest when I got sidetracked. I'm probably in way over my head anyway. Might wind up exporting a chorus or two and calling it "concise" LOL.
Do it! I have about 3 riffs in my head that are going to go together. The hardest issue this week is fixing the drum track and restringing my guitar so it doesn't sound dead :oops:

I’m probably not gonna be able to record anything new for at least a couple weeks :(

Between getting ready for an upcoming show, family vacation, and lots of work for my “day gig” there’s just not gonna be time.

Bummed because I’d already started charting out this heavy rock song to work out the progression… that’s the way the cool kids do it right? :bag

47C4E5F1-D4D4-4711-88FC-CAFDC5B1027E.jpeg

Like it’s audibly not popping out in the mix?

I parallel compress all the drum tracks I’ve uploaded. It’s super easy to do and it’s precisely how I get the drums popping out in the mix without dominating it. I can’t remember which DAW you’re using, but it shouldn’t be too hard to set up a bus off the drum track, send the full signal to the compressor and set the compressor with a fast attack/medium decay. It’ll get the initial hits of the drums popping out, without raising the volume of the entire drum track, just the initial hits.

I’m probably not gonna be able to record anything new for at least a couple weeks :(

Between getting ready for an upcoming show, family vacation, and lots of work for my “day gig” there’s just not gonna be time.

Bummed because I’d already started charting out this heavy rock song to work out the progression… that’s the way the cool kids do it right? :bag

View attachment 4256

I do the same thing for lots of parts. Play the part on keys and then play from the charts for guitar or wind synth. I'll also construct harmonies from the original chart and then play from those.

Oh yeah, I forgot to make a 2nd thread for the bi-weekly challenges, @mbenigni. The original intent was to give everyone who might not have enough time in one week to get something done, an chance to still participate. Had I known work was going to try to destroy me shortly after starting the challenge, I probably would have done things differently rather than dropping the ball all over the place.

Oh yeah, I forgot to make a 2nd thread for the bi-weekly challenges, @mbenigni. The original intent was to give everyone who might not have enough time in one week to get something done, an chance to still participate. Had I known work was going to try to destroy me shortly after starting the challenge, I probably would have done things differently rather than dropping the ball all over the place.
Likewise with the death by work thing. :(

I may have lost track, but I think technically the deadline for the second bi-weekly has already passed? (I can tell because I'm currently working on the second bi-weekly LOL.)

Back