Do Something Challenge Discussion Thread

I do the same thing for lots of parts. Play the part on keys and then play from the charts for guitar or wind synth. I'll also construct harmonies from the original chart and then play from those.

I always do it when I’m figuring out harmonies and cadences. Especially when there are multiple parts or I’m trying to find good chord substitutions.

For some reason it helps me work it out faster. I think it’s the visualization of it

Workin on this weeks submission today 😬😃 042C794F-D544-4415-867D-485725D4B3DA.jpegBBDDE0E7-1AA1-4DD2-BD4D-E479DAA086C4.jpeg

Looks like Joel Hoelkstra who replaced Doug Aldrich who replaced Reb Beach who replaced Steve Vai
who replaced Viv Campbell who replaced Adrian Vandenberg who replaced John Sykes in Whitesnake. :idk

( I know that's not right---the order, but kind of funny to think about.)

:idkpretend like I grew up listening to hip hop and hardcore punk?

Whitesnake, TSO, Cher, Night Ranger, Revolution Saints, Broadway Shows, monthly column for Guitar Magazine, a million YouTube things. A million other things.

One of my favorite random JH sightings

Buy an EVH

Looks like Joel Hoelkstra who replaced Doug Aldrich who replaced Reb Beach who replaced Steve Vai
who replaced Viv Campbell who replaced Adrian Vandenberg who replaced John Sykes in Whitesnake. :idk

( I know that's not right---the order, but kind of funny to think about.)
It goes back quite a bit further than John Sykes. Not back to anyone who really matters, but that band is 50 years old or so now.

Last edited:
Whitesnake, TSO, Cher, Night Ranger, Revolution Saints, Broadway Shows, monthly column for Guitar Magazine, a million YouTube things. A million other things.
Ah, okay, yeah, no idea, thanks! That's pretty damn cool even though that isn't my wheelhouse.
I did a facial recognition search and everything but their best matches were all older female actors :wat

Came up with a new workflow for recording guitar that should help me to speed things up, especially for tracking, while adding more flexibility in the mix.

To this point I've been either tracking guitars direct to the interface and using plugins for amp/cab/effects, or running into the Axe FX 3 for everything and recording the effected output. I like the speed of using the AF3 patches but don't love committing everything to tape. On the flip side using plugins is super flexible but time consuming to find patches and what not, plus playing through a bit of latency.

So here's a hybrid setup:

I run the guitar through the Axe FX 3 for a full signal chain (amp, cab, effects), and then run the line outs into my interface. But I added a second output block after the amp block, before the cab and effects. In the DAW I'm using Axe FX 3 as the audio input, and then taking that second output block for the recorded track. That gives me the core amp tone (plus any boosts out front), and then I can add whatever cab and any other effects I want via plugins.

From a tracking standpoint, I get the general tone I want and can directly monitor the guitar with practically no latency. I can pick from a set of amps I like, adjust the gain where I want it, and add any drive pedals I might want. I don't have to sift through cabs and worry about nailing the effects because that can be done later.

And from a mixing standpoint, I can easily swap out cabs to change the tone to fit the mix, and add whatever effects the part needs. I'm not tempted to flip through different plugins to try and see if I like a different amp slightly more or less. It's mostly cab for high level tonality plus some EQ.

I don't yet have Logic (will probably get that soon), but I'll plan to set up a template that has separate bus effects for room reverb, bigger hall/plate reverb, and maybe a subtle slap delay. Then I can send guitars to the stereo effects busses as needed (like how most producers would). Garageband has a version of this that works pretty well actually. Then you're not running different reverbs all over all the guitar tracks.

If for whatever reason I did want to track the fully effected Axe FX 3 chain, I just pick USB inputs 1-2 instead of 3-4. Super easy.

Planning to re-track the bits and pieces of the song I'm working on with this method, but really excited to try it out. I think it will limit the amount of decisions I have to make and get me more focused on finding the right parts rather than the right presets.

Came up with a new workflow for recording guitar that should help me to speed things up, especially for tracking, while adding more flexibility in the mix.

To this point I've been either tracking guitars direct to the interface and using plugins for amp/cab/effects, or running into the Axe FX 3 for everything and recording the effected output. I like the speed of using the AF3 patches but don't love committing everything to tape. On the flip side using plugins is super flexible but time consuming to find patches and what not, plus playing through a bit of latency.

So here's a hybrid setup:

I run the guitar through the Axe FX 3 for a full signal chain (amp, cab, effects), and then run the line outs into my interface. But I added a second output block after the amp block, before the cab and effects. In the DAW I'm using Axe FX 3 as the audio input, and then taking that second output block for the recorded track. That gives me the core amp tone (plus any boosts out front), and then I can add whatever cab and any other effects I want via plugins.

From a tracking standpoint, I get the general tone I want and can directly monitor the guitar with practically no latency. I can pick from a set of amps I like, adjust the gain where I want it, and add any drive pedals I might want. I don't have to sift through cabs and worry about nailing the effects because that can be done later.

And from a mixing standpoint, I can easily swap out cabs to change the tone to fit the mix, and add whatever effects the part needs. I'm not tempted to flip through different plugins to try and see if I like a different amp slightly more or less. It's mostly cab for high level tonality plus some EQ.

I don't yet have Logic (will probably get that soon), but I'll plan to set up a template that has separate bus effects for room reverb, bigger hall/plate reverb, and maybe a subtle slap delay. Then I can send guitars to the stereo effects busses as needed (like how most producers would). Garageband has a version of this that works pretty well actually. Then you're not running different reverbs all over all the guitar tracks.

If for whatever reason I did want to track the fully effected Axe FX 3 chain, I just pick USB inputs 1-2 instead of 3-4. Super easy.

Planning to re-track the bits and pieces of the song I'm working on with this method, but really excited to try it out. I think it will limit the amount of decisions I have to make and get me more focused on finding the right parts rather than the right presets.
Always get a direct. No good reason not to. Just go straight from input 1 to a separate out with nothing in between

Always get a direct. No good reason not to. Just go straight from input 1 to a separate out with nothing in between

I think in this last project I’ve learned a lesson. Next time I’ll still print wet, but snag a dry track as well.

The effects are building too much in the mix.

I'll likely start doing that when I get into more serious recording. Still using Garageband so track management isn't awesome. I think once I move to Logic, I'll be able to do some track grouping so I can get DI tracks alongside the wet ones (along with take histories).

Song I've been working on has a very specific drum part in my mind. So this morning I finally learned how to take a stock drum part in GB/Logic and manually edit into what I want. Had to add/move a lot of stuff and then hand edit the velocities to get it to sound natural, but now it's great!

Eight bars down, just have to do that with all the other parts of the song...

Back