To follow your heart, the worst reaction is to
Freak out
So don't you
Freak out

So if you feel the world's insane reaction
Just follow your heart, the words will work out as they
Freak out
But we're free to close the door

Man, I really dig that, Devin didn't cram all 1,001 of his ideas into a song for once. :LOL:

His voice is insanely good, and so diverse. I just enjoy it when the instrumentation
is not caked with 18 different flavours of icing on top.

This is it. :beer

I need to get back into Devin. I was obsessed with him thru HS… haven’t listened yet o much of anything the last 6 years. I think I disliked Epicloud and kinda fell off the fanboy wagon a bit

Man, I really dig that, Devin didn't cram all 1,001 of his ideas into a song for once. :LOL:

His voice is insanely good, and so diverse. I just enjoy it when the instrumentation
is not caked with 18 different flavours of icing on top.

This is it. :beer

He said after doing those f*cking whackass WTF albums Puzzle and Snuggles, mixed with coming out of the pandemic he “just wanted to chill out so here’s your Def Leppard album or whatever” :rofl

I need to get back into Devin. I was obsessed with him thru HS… haven’t listened yet o much of anything the last 6 years. I think I disliked Epicloud and kinda fell off the fanboy wagon a bit

His albums hit or misses for me and sometimes it’s a hard hit. I didn’t dig Epicloud or Z2 and haven’t listened to them since they came out. By Devin’s own admission, he didn’t enjoy writing them and Z2 was a label commitment, making it something he had to do instead of really being inspired to do it.

I first heard Devin on Sex And Religion, heard SYL and it took a while for that band to resonate with me, I wasn’t metal enough when I first heard them. :ROFLMAO: After ’99-‘00 they were one of my favorite bands. His solo stuff I loved right away though, well, half of it. Ocean Machine is a masterpiece but I don’t like Terria at all and it kind of continues like that. The albums I love, though, I really love.

I've got one of his quarantine shows playing in the background, he does a pretty damn good job at keeping the energy up on this considering it was all virtual.. This is rippin'

His Tour Vlogs and Video Diaries are a fun watch on the 'Tube. He's a super cool dude. Super
open and transparent---and mixes in his whack ass take on metaphysics and consciousness.

I approve this message! ;)

I’m kinda liking the direction he seems to be heading in with this new album. Reminds me a bit of Ki but not as sinister sounding. For what it’s worth I prefer the first single he released for this album. There’s so much ear candy going on in it, great for headphones.

I don't like any of the stuff he has been putting out in the last 10-15 years. I tried many times, but the newer stuff just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Which is a shame, because pretty much every album he released until (including) Accelerated Evolution was an absolute masterpiece, especially Ocean Machine and SYL's City of course. Alien, Synchestra and TNB were the first albums that didn't reach me that much emotionally anymore, because they sounded weirdly "constructed" to me, and it went continuously downhill from there.

Reactions: JTI
I love Alien and TNB. The last thing he did (iirc) that resonated with me was the one with Anna on it? Sometimes I feel like his sanity is so tied to him NOT being heavy anymore that it takes some of the fun out of the proceedings. I loved all his lockdown livestreams though. Dude is always going to be a GOAT for me, even when I don't always gell with the latest material.

I love Alien and TNB. The last thing he did (iirc) that resonated with me was the one with Anna on it? Sometimes I feel like his sanity is so tied to him NOT being heavy anymore that it takes some of the fun out of the proceedings. I loved all his lockdown livestreams though. Dude is always going to be a GOAT for me, even when I don't always gell with the latest material.

hahahah Anna has been on a bunch of his albums, to the point people started complaining about it. Even I was getting a bit tired of hearing her voice because it tends to be a bit one-dimensional in the context of his music. She’s great, but it was like too much sugar in a dessert.

I don't like any of the stuff he has been putting out in the last 10-15 years. I tried many times, but the newer stuff just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Which is a shame, because pretty much every album he released until (including) Accelerated Evolution was an absolute masterpiece, especially Ocean Machine and SYL's City of course. Alien, Synchestra and TNB were the first albums that didn't reach me that much emotionally anymore, because they sounded weirdly "constructed" to me, and it went continuously downhill from there.

It’s really hit or miss for me, usually being whole albums I don’t dig instead of just songs on an album. But that’s ok, the dude puts out so much music that I just wait until the next album. You‘re not wrong about the “constructed” aspect, especially with the SYL stuff, Devin open admits he was doing it just to keep it going rather than doing it because “I gotta get this crazy sh*t out of my head”. Which ended up happening to him again with the Devin Townsend Project, just the idea that he had to keep putting out albums to pay the band members and keep their livelihoods intact, so he disbanded it. I wouldn’t want that pressure either, especially with the way he works.

hahahah Anna has been on a bunch of his albums, to the point people started complaining about it. Even I was getting a bit tired of hearing her voice because it tends to be a bit one-dimensional in the context of his music. She’s great, but it was like too much sugar in a dessert.

It’s really hit or miss for me, usually being whole albums I don’t dig instead of just songs on an album. But that’s ok, the dude puts out so much music that I just wait until the next album. You‘re not wrong about the “constructed” aspect, especially with the SYL stuff, Devin open admits he was doing it just to keep it going rather than doing it because “I gotta get this crazy sh*t out of my head”. Which ended up happening to him again with the Devin Townsend Project, just the idea that he had to keep putting out albums to pay the band members and keep their livelihoods intact, so he disbanded it. I wouldn’t want that pressure either, especially with the way he works.
I'm thinking of Addicted. Iy-Ah! was one of those onion sandwich moments for me :bag I didn't realize she was on so much of his stuff? I always assumed it was that album. Bad superfan lol

I'm thinking of Addicted. Iy-Ah! was one of those onion sandwich moments for me :bag I didn't realize she was on so much of his stuff? I always assumed it was that album. Bad superfan lol

Yeah, those 4 albums, Ki, Addicted, Deconstruction and Ghost are GREAT, but he kept using her after that on some more albums. He’s got so many damn albums and live albums it’s hard to keep up.

Reactions: JTI
Back