Crate Flexwave is the King of all guitar amplifiers!

IMG_1627.gif

The first amp I ever built was with a gutted out Crate G40C XL solidstate amp. Turned it into a brownface style Princeton 6G2. It was good for something.:grin
Still have the amp but have redone the circuitry entirely and made into a prototype which I really love now. The stock speakers were actually pretty good and loud for 8", but I changed them to hemp cone Eminences later on.

I remember the predecessor to the Flexwave series being pretty good. Tidalwave I think it was called. Like the Shockwave, I think some of the circuitry was the same as the Ampeg VH-140. I don't know if that actually carried over to the Felxwave though.

Crate put out some real stinkers; angry can of hornets anyone? They did have some pretty good sounding ones too. Stealth, Blue Voodoo 150 & 300, Shockwave Vintage Club and Palomino come to mind.

I remember the predecessor to the Flexwave series being pretty good. Tidalwave I think it was called. Like the Shockwave, I think some of the circuitry was the same as the Ampeg VH-140. I don't know if that actually carried over to the Felxwave though.

Crate put out some real stinkers; angry can of hornets anyone? They did have some pretty good sounding ones too. Stealth, Blue Voodoo 150 & 300, Shockwave Vintage Club and Palomino come to mind.

I rescued a 50w 2x12 Palomino about 10 years ago and I will never let that amp go, even though their market value has shot up since then. It's a tremendous amp. Both channels are like a perfect blend of an AC30 and 2204 JCM800. The thing barely functioned when I got it. Went through it and re-soldered lots of stuff, cleaned it in and out and it's been rock solid since. I even did a cosmetic mod on it cos I am not a blonde tolex fan.

Back