Caught GC red handed

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
So I recently returned a Marshall JMD-1 combo to guitar center because it was obviously messed up. I was perusing their page today and saw that the amp was listed back on their page and listed as "Great" condition. Well well I figured they fixed it. The Store Manager told me he was going to send it back to the original store so they could put a work order on it. There was definitely not enough time for that to happen...

I call up and get that Manager on the phone and tell him if that amp is fixed I'd love to come buy it again. Silence. He tells me that it was put on the web site by mistake and it is indeed NOT fixed. I call BS on that. They were hoping some schmuck would buy it and not bother with a return. I could tell by the tone of his voice he felt the "gotcha".

I think it doesn't hurt to hold a retailers feet to the fire when you suspect they are being dishonest. I don't go around doing this but I was monumentally disappointed the amp was broken so I wasnt lying, I'd have bought it at the asking price if it was indeed fixed. I just suspected it wasn't and caught them.

Last edited:
last time i went to GC was for something with my drums, i walk into the drum department and theres an attractive young lady in there, im thinking i cant wait to talk about my big snare with her, as im looking around though another guy comes in and starts asking about a double pedal, she said she didnt know what a double pedal was and she didnt play drums lol. i guess they just hire whoever will work now?

2x45l1.jpg

There are 4 GCs near me, only one hasn't screwed me/pissed me off in some way/shape/form. Too bad Sweetwater hasn't bought them out...

Hahahaha our Hallandale store lists a bunch of stuff with masking tape on it that says Broken or Defective right on it for normal prices.

IMG_1208.png

IMG_1211.png

IMG_1209.png

IMG_1213.png

Hahahahha all those “Selling for parts” are new, those absolutely were not on there last time I perused the used section.

See also: my recent TA-30 purchase. When I called to see whether they could refund any money or whether I'd have to return it, they said someone else had bought and returned it a couple of weeks prior - because "He just didn't dig it." He didn't dig it?? Did he have any specific thoughts about half the channels/ modes not working?

See also: my recent TA-30 purchase. When I called to see whether they could refund any money or whether I'd have to return it, they said someone else had bought and returned it a couple of weeks prior - because "He just didn't dig it." He didn't dig it?? Did he have any specific thoughts about half the channels/ modes not working?
Yeah, they’re almost universally awful. The last amp I got was shipped in a box. Just a box. No bubble wrap, no newspaper, no stock boy pubes, nothing.

The problems with my ElectraDyne were so pervasive that when I saw it back up on their site within DAYS of my return; I called them up and asked them about it as well. They did oh yeah our "tech" went through it and it is back up and running. Absolute bullshirt considering the symptoms it was exhibiting that most likely required an actual trip to Mesa. :poop: :cuss

They knew when they sold it to you…
I'm not sure they're even paying enough attention to be this nefarious. They're just working the cash register/ computer/ whatever. They'll let you bring their inventory home and test it; no way they've got the time/inclination.

The guy on the phone who implied my amp was merely not to someone else's taste? He was sitting in a call center somewhere, not a clue. My biggest takeaway after calling to tell them they'd sent me a broken amp, and getting a couple hundred bucks back for my trouble was, "Wow, I could have made that call even if the amp was mint, and gotten a hell of a discount." :idk I would never do this, but the truth is, there isn't a single individual GC employee anywhere who would care either way.

The problems with my ElectraDyne were so pervasive that when I saw it back up on their site within DAYS of my return; I called them up and asked them about it as well. They did oh yeah our "tech" went through it and it is back up and running. Absolute bullshirt considering the symptoms it was exhibiting that most likely required an actual trip to Mesa. :poop: :cuss

Their "tech":

Meme Reaction GIF

Your ED and @mbenigni 's TA deserved viking funerals. They were just cursed.

Back