Buying Today, What do you Buy?

wharf rat

Roadie
I am currently using Helix Native.

Guitar -> Focusrite Solo -> MacBook Pro (2019) -> Helix Native

Getting tired of having to fire up the laptop, DAW, etc. when it comes to plugins. Looking at hardware.

If you were to buy hardware today, what's it going to be?

On my list:

Fractal FM3 (currently on backorder, but I'm on the list)
Helix Floor (most expensive, maybe settle for HX Stomp)
Kemper (stage)
TONEX Pedal (cheapest, probably)

1) Am I missing anything
2) Home hobbyist, no gigging
3) I enjoy looping
4) I like Grateful Dead tones
5) Looking to stay within the Helix Floor budget area (i.e. sub~$1500 or so)

Let me know what you think!

BOSS GX-100, not saying I'd buy it without a second thought, just throwing it into the bunch.
John Cordy did a video on the GX-100 yesterday.

Only reason I skipped it was because I have experienced the Boss stuff and I think I would drive myself crazy with their lack of attentiveness to it in terms of updates.

I know Boss' model is to put out a unit that doesn't necessarily need updates, but still. It just seems that we have grown accustomed to demanding updates from these companies, such that, the unit you buy today might not look anything like that same product in 2-3 years.

Price wise, it's on the level with the HX Stomp - do you find those two units comparable?

Price wise, it's on the level with the HX Stomp - do you find those two units comparable?
Didn't play GX, so my experience is about the same as yours :LOL:
But if I'd have to choose I'd go with Boss, no question about it. HX Stomp is too limiting with its 8 blocks and three switches.

Of your options, I'd buy the Helix Floor/Stomp.

I went from L6 Floor Pod to HD500x to HX Stomp to Axe FX XLII+ to Helix Rack. If I had to go backwards, I'd go back to the Stomp. For me at least, the L6 stuff just sounds more to my liking and the interfaces are always fairly easy to use - so less tech-fiddling, more jamming.

Also in my consideration is the age of the units in question. I know the prevailing logic tends to be something to the tune of “if it sounds good today, it will sound good tomorrow when the next unit comes out”, but I don’t prefer spending $1500 and then the next unit comes out a day or a month later.

Whatever I pick up, I’d like a year or two of meaningful updates prior to it being superseded.

Based on my list I know:

1) Kemper is 10 years old
2) Helix is ~8 years old

Relevant? Maybe. It certainly has an impact on the way I see the units.

Also in my consideration is the age of the units in question. I know the prevailing logic tends to be something to the tune of “if it sounds good today, it will sound good tomorrow when the next unit comes out”, but I don’t prefer spending $1500 and then the next unit comes out a day or a month later.

Helix, FM3 and Kemper are all getting regular updates, and have no current replacement roadmaps that we know of. I don't think they'll stop being supported anytime soon to be honest.

And ToneX is, of course, a brand new product.

Whatever I pick up, I’d like a year or two of meaningful updates prior to it being superseded.

Based on my list I know:

1) Kemper is 10 years old
2) Helix is ~8 years old

Relevant? Maybe. It certainly has an impact on the way I see the units.
An alternative point of view: You buy a full featured, largely stable unit today vs tomorrow's "needs a bunch of fixes" new product, regardless of the brand.

If you feel like you might be coming in at the tail end of the product's life, buy used and you won't lose a lot of money. Except the first gen Axe-Fx Standard and the Quad Cortex, I've bought all the modelers I've owned used. Axe-Fx 2, Helix Floor, FM3 and Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12. Obviously some units like the FM9 might be hard to get used in the first place.

If I had to buy new for some reason, I'd probably get the Line6 Helix Floor simply due to its price to performance ratio. It does a lot, sounds good and is user friendly. In EU, Fractal has gotten really damn expensive with the FM3 costing almost as much as a Helix Floor. Helix Rack is actually cheaper than the FM3!

If I where to shop again for modelers I’d buy what I own again. Kemper, cause I know it works for me and is ”as good as it gets”. Boss GT core cause it’s the most cranked in a super compact box.
End of life risk?…true…but tbh..I don’t think there will be major innovation. Cheaper/smaller…sure…but nothing earthshocking. New stuff hitting the market has been more of the same in smaller/cheaper packages…thats it.

If I didn’t set “modeling” in stone…and would be shopping for a “silent rig”…I’d seriously consider amps like revv 20 / blackstar St James, hook wizard…amps with build in IRs…in combination with a multi efx (probably a modeler…those are todays multi efx)
The attraction is that silent rig/amp rig is one and the sam…together with the fact that it has limited options…I kinda like having to “use what you got” and deal with the consequences ;-)

I’d also consider going for analog preamps together with something like two notes cabm, again in combination with a multifx..and something to have the option to play a traditional cab..so poweramp/cab or return of combo

Last edited:
FM3 & EV1 No Doubts only thing preventing me @ the Moment is Scheming/Selling the Wife and making it work in the Budget

Last edited:
If you really like Helix Native, hard to go wrong with the full Helix Floor. Powerful and easy to use.

I don’t know much about looping but another option could be something like an HX Stomp and a separate looper pedal.

Fractal FM3 is great but for looping again you may want a separate pedal or more switches.

Anyways if I were buying one unit tomorrow it would probably be an FM9 but there’s a wait list and it’s pricey.

If you buy a Stomp/FM3, plus some other pedals, plus a pedalboard and power supply, then you’re getting into the Helix Floor price range. Also, you’ll be fiddling with setting it up, routing and level adjustments. If you want to just plug in and play more with less fuss then I’d go with the Helix Floor.

If you already know you like HX Native, then HX anything is kind of a no-brainer. I'd go with a used LT, since you seem somewhat budget-minded, but also value UI/UX and footswitches. (Or at least I think I gathered as much? I might have gotten that from one of the replies.) The Stomp is inevitably slightly less intuitive to use than the bigger HX products, simply because there are fewer buttons, etc. If you can't find a Floor/LT in your budget, then sure - Stomp.

ToneX is cheapest and sounds great (doing what it does), but it's not really a comparable product to the rest. Less I/O, simpler routing, almost no effects, etc. (And IMVHO, it's a bit of a PITA to use.)

There is one other device I quite like, but... never mind that. It's too expensive anyway. :bag

Don't discount the HX Stomp XL. Slightly more expensive, but fantastic form factor, IMHO.
Oh, yeah. I forgot all about the Stomp XL. That is a good form factor, good number of switches. I don't know if the UI is any different than the OG Stomp, though, and unless you're using a Stomp every day, some of the control groupings can be a little arbitrary. It's almost impossible to get lost on a full-sized Helix.

Also, both Stomp and Stomp XL only bring one CPU and 8 blocks. If you need lots of effects or complex routing, it can be worth the upsell to an LT.

I enjoy looping

Forget about the HX Stomp then already. Or get an external looper along with it.
I'd still consider a GT-1000. And by now I actually look at the lack of constant updates as something not all that bad. It's a mature unit and there's no need to brick anything with whatever updates. Also, given Boss' philosophy, you won't even start to think about collecting yet some more virtual amps. Which, again, I see as an advance, as long as the delivered amps are nice. Which they are.

Forget about the HX Stomp then already. Or get an external looper along with it.
zipper-mouth-face_1f910.png

Back