Buying Today, What do you Buy?

I have a 200w 2x12 Catalyst I bought about 5 months ago so my next purchase will be a HX Effects to add the features/effects I think it is missing. I am suffering from AOMO at the moment. I really like the way the Cat sounds with it's different amps, but the price on the Stomp right now at $599 is making me think twice of getting Helix Amps for $50 more whether I use them or not, which I probably will. I may buy a Stomp anyway and if I dont like it, take it back and get the HXFX.

Has Anyone worked with the looper function on either of these? If so, which looper works better? Feel free to make any other suggestions too.

Thanks!!!

If I didn’t set “modeling” in stone…and would be shopping for a “silent rig”…I’d seriously consider amps like revv 20 / blackstar St James, hook wizard…amps with build in IRs…in combination with a multi efx (probably a modeler…those are todays multi efx)

We seem to be on the same page amp wise.

Of all the amps out there the only two I'd still really like to get are the REVV Generator 120 Mk III and the Hook Captain 34. Got the St. James and really enjoying it.

If you already know you like HX Native, then HX anything is kind of a no-brainer.

This makes a lot of sense.

If I were starting all over I'd get a Fractal FM9 even thought it costs a little more than your target price range, partially because like stated above I already know I like Fractal gear.

zipper-mouth-face_1f910.png

What? The one switch looper is pretty bad unless you add an external switch (ideally MIDI). Plus, you're kinda wasting a block.

I´m more "analouge" and by then prefered the Boss ME 80. For me - more user friendly.

• Love
Reactions: JT
Oh, yeah. I forgot all about the Stomp XL. That is a good form factor, good number of switches. I don't know if the UI is any different than the OG Stomp, though, and unless you're using a Stomp every day, some of the control groupings can be a little arbitrary.

It's the exact same UI as the regular Stomp, for better or worse. You do get some goodies like pedal edit mode, more snapshots et al, but the workflow is identical.

Forget about the HX Stomp then already. Or get an external looper along with it.

HX Stomp XL lets you use Helix's 6 button looper, which is pretty nice. Still, there're far better options available if looping is a main decision factor.

I´m more "analouge" and by then prefered the Boss ME 80. For me - more user friendly.
That said, I don´t use it that much.
Not that I´m not safisfied with it, but its not that often I use effects, except Reverb, Delay and eventually a booster up front.
But when I "need" to..., or like to... use- or experience with effects and "stomps", the ME-80 has everything I need:

ME-80.png

That said, I don´t use it that much.
Not that I´m not safisfied with it, but its not that often I use effects, except Reverb, Delay and eventually a booster up front.
But when I "need" to..., or like to... use- or experience with effects and "stomps", the ME-80 has everything I need:

View attachment 4689
I like the knobs and tactile control. I am not a huge fan of those dual switches, though? I have the FS-7 and I like the fact that it's compact but it's a little too compact and hard to switch.

What? The one switch looper is pretty bad unless you add an external switch (ideally MIDI). Plus, you're kinda wasting a block.
Sorry, I was being (intentionally) cryptic. Call back to the fact that there's another device I quite like, and one of the precious few things people will agree on is that it has a good looper.

It's too expensive anyway. :bag

I am currently using Helix Native.

Guitar -> Focusrite Solo -> MacBook Pro (2019) -> Helix Native

Getting tired of having to fire up the laptop, DAW, etc. when it comes to plugins. Looking at hardware.

If you were to buy hardware today, what's it going to be?

On my list:

Fractal FM3 (currently on backorder, but I'm on the list)
Helix Floor (most expensive, maybe settle for HX Stomp)
Kemper (stage)
TONEX Pedal (cheapest, probably)

1) Am I missing anything
2) Home hobbyist, no gigging
3) I enjoy looping
4) I like Grateful Dead tones
5) Looking to stay within the Helix Floor budget area (i.e. sub~$1500 or so)

Let me know what you think!
Not a popular choice, I know, but I would stick with my Headrush Pedalboard... the ease of use and the UI just suits me. Would I like a desktop editor? Sure, but I wouldn't trade it for the tremendous ease of use on the unit itself.

Next on the list would probably be an FM9 - but just the thought of having to spend the time rebuilding all my sounds and learning a new UI deters me.

More likely next on the list would be the Helix Floor. I know I would be able to get all the sounds I need and I know the UI from the HX Stomp. But I still prefer the useability of the Headrush.

Now if IK release a full TONEX floor unit with 10 or so switches and amplitube effects in it, I would seriously consider. Again, depending of the UI on the unit itself.

Basically, if I had the choice between a unit that gave me a 5% better tone (knowing well that such things can't really be quantified) with a 50% increase in time spent getting said tone and the easier but "worse" sounding unit - I would choose the latter.

HX Stomp + TONEX Pedal

I’ve got this setup on my bench at the moment. I’ve got $799 in it altogether, brand new. There’s not another combination that can come close to the flexibility for the price IMO.

Edit: The HX Stomp also included a free copy of Helix Native, Cubase LE, and the Metallurgy Plugins:

So now I have both TONEX and Helix on the board and “in the box.”

Last edited:
Whatever I pick up, I’d like a year or two of meaningful updates prior to it being superseded.

Based on my list I know:

1) Kemper is 10 years old
2) Helix is ~8 years old

Relevant? Maybe. It certainly has an impact on the way I see the units.
General consensus is that this isn’t really a concern. We’ll get more options in the near term, but nothing game changing when it comes to sound and feel.

I am currently using Helix Native.

Guitar -> Focusrite Solo -> MacBook Pro (2019) -> Helix Native

Getting tired of having to fire up the laptop, DAW, etc. when it comes to plugins. Looking at hardware.

If you were to buy hardware today, what's it going to be?

On my list:

Fractal FM3 (currently on backorder, but I'm on the list)
Helix Floor (most expensive, maybe settle for HX Stomp)
Kemper (stage)
TONEX Pedal (cheapest, probably)

1) Am I missing anything
2) Home hobbyist, no gigging
3) I enjoy looping
4) I like Grateful Dead tones
5) Looking to stay within the Helix Floor budget area (i.e. sub~$1500 or so)

Let me know what you think!
What are you playing through. If you need an amp also, then Catalyst + Stomp will give you all your options. Want to just plug in quick to an amp? You got one. Worried about the Stomp not having enough processing? Run them together.

I currently have an HX Stomp XL and I would not hesitate for a moment to pick up a GX-100.

And.........I also have a PodGo. Don't discard the PodGo, it's a VERY capable unit still in production (comes in Red too).

There is an amazing selection of YT videos on this unit : Paul Hindmarsh (from L6), Tom Quayle, and John Cordy among many others.

Honestly if you are going to the 1500 mark , I might be tempted to save 200 more and get on The FM9 list , it moving fast and unless they run out of stock you probably would be looking at a month

In the interim maybe if you have an interface check out some of the plug ins they are convenient and sound great
I guess if you had to have something now , I would say ToneX pedal with the plug in bundle

Back