Burned out

I may be oversimplifying this but why not own a modeler and an amp and not have to worry about what you want to use on any given day of the week. You can have both. In fact, you deserve it. :ROFLMAO:
I know i deserve anything, anything I want. But i can’t justify it. And somehow my level of justification (is that the correct term?) is pretty low. :bag :rofl

When my complaint is having too many options available I don’t know that the solution is to add more options :p

The only reason it becomes a “tubes vs digital” thing for me is because analog gear forces limitations I have to work within, which helps control these unhealthy impulses I have to complicate things

So at least from a distance, it seems like you are trying to put together a single rig that covers all your bases for any gig you are picking up. One rig to rule them all, if you will. What about building out a couple of different rigs instead of a huge monolith?

As an example, I have my Helix rig that I use for silent rehearsal and any show where the venue can support not having physical guitar amps without creating a miserable playing experience. Then I have my stockpile of tube amps and analog pedals that I keep around for the gigs where I know I'm going to have to crank an amp to clear the drums and I need that more traditional playing experience. As a "best of both worlds" experiment I've also been adjusting my Helix presets to split out to a solid state power amp and guitar cab so that I can go direct to FOH AND get a more traditional playing experience on stage when I don't want to carry all the heavy gear around.

IMO the key to sanity is to stop trying to get everything you need for all your gigs in one rig. Give yourself options, and identify the scenarios that make you choose one option over the other. You need to be able to evaluate and make concise decisions or you will drive yourself insane when you should be having fun.

Yeah, I’ve headed down that road a bit. Typically I keep one main rig that can cover whatever the next show calls for, and then I keep a second rig that is small and portable for the times when I don’t need the kitchen sink.

Most of my gigs involve lots of complex switching between several instruments, so that requirement sort of always drives the main rig

If you divine joy from fiddling the strings, then He wants you to play and be passionate. 👍❤️🙏
There was a time when I actually preferred and most often played my tele unplugged in the couch…. Such a tremendously boring sound… but when your inner Buddha tells you it feels good, it feels gooood.

(And my tele has a really strong vibe…ration :rofl )

Long live digital. Long live analog.

Metro, your quandary or conundrum sounds less like it’s about gear and more like it’s about rethinking how you tackle your long-run gigs.

All respect; your current approach as described over the years is cool, the fine-tuned tone specificity from one number to another. Definitely added-value for your md’s. The question is if those nuanced permutations are absolutely necessary or if there’s an alternative no-compromise way.

I’m guessing there is, since I’ve been at modern Broadway productions and high-end events with cover bands where broad spectrums of music are covered with minimal to zero guitar settings/effect/tone changes beyond clean to gritty, and where the essence of the material is nonetheless honored.

Regarding all of your other instruments, digital has in itself been a (valid) compromise, for convenience, since ukes and mandolins and acoustics can be mic’d efficiently.

If it is a mindset/musical thing, then it won’t matter whether you stick with your Axe or a Kemper or a Princeton with a 12” speaker and small board. It’s your approach to the musical assignment, not the gear, that may alter or hopefully rejuvenate your experience of doing these shows.

It may be worth experimenting with doing as little as possible technically on your next run, and seeing if choosing a great tone or two and simply taking the music and performance to heart cuts it. I’m guessing you already have an answer here, but who knows, trying it again at a different point in life may yield a surprising result.

Long live digital. Long live analog.

Metro, your quandary or conundrum sounds less like it’s about gear and more like it’s about rethinking how you tackle your long-run gigs.

All respect; your current approach as described over the years is cool, the fine-tuned tone specificity from one number to another. Definitely added-value for your md’s. The question is if those nuanced permutations are absolutely necessary or if there’s an alternative no-compromise way.

I’m guessing there is, since I’ve been at modern Broadway productions and high-end events with cover bands where broad spectrums of music are covered with minimal to zero guitar settings/effect/tone changes beyond clean to gritty, and where the essence of the material is nonetheless honored.

Regarding all of your other instruments, digital has in itself been a (valid) compromise, for convenience, since ukes and mandolins and acoustics can be mic’d efficiently.

If it is a mindset/musical thing, then it won’t matter whether you stick with your Axe or a Kemper or a Princeton with a 12” speaker and small board. It’s your approach to the musical assignment, not the gear, that may alter or hopefully rejuvenate your experience of doing these shows.

It may be worth experimenting with doing as little as possible technically on your next run, and seeing if choosing a great tone or two and simply taking the music and performance to heart cuts it. I’m guessing you already have an answer here, but who knows, trying it again at a different point in life may yield a surprising result.

Yeah, it’s 100% a problem with my mindset, not the gear. I think I probably go way beyond what’s necessary.

I first realized that when I had a rig I’d used for a show and it had 5 amp models and a drive, and I saw the guy who played the show on Broadway talking through his rig and he just used 1 amp and 2 drive pedals.

On the flip side, to a certain degree it helps me advertise myself and get more gigs. I’ve had MDs who have hired me multiple times say they appreciate the work I put into getting the right sounds for the show.

There’s a balance

Last edited:
I’m guessing it’s the work that you put in to your musicianship even more, probably way more. But the only reason we’re talking about this is because of an expressed sense of burnout with the current approach, not because there hasn’t been a ton right with how you’ve been doing it all along. Anyway whatever happens venting here is a good thing.

Sounds to me you just need to own both types of rigs. The digital stuff and the "simple amp and a few pedals" rig. Then you always have the reminder why that digital rig makes sense most of the time.
Yeah, I don't understand why more folks don't do this. I think they think of money as being tied up in one of the rigs; but really if you are flipping, you will take enough losses on shipping, tax, market value drops, etc, that the flipping costs you more in the long run than maintaining two stable rigs.

Most people can afford both unless they are really living paycheck to paycheck or in some dire financial situation.

Anyway, I love the digital stuff but it is great to have traditional gear to reality check with and to keep you from having tube FOMO.

Yup. It's true. It just hurts when you see someone you have grown to respect make a series
of questionable decisions. :LOL:

IMG_2790.gif

GL with the sale @metropolis_4 and anxious to see what you decide to settle on that will work for you

(y)
You forgot some Farley quotes here with “settle on”.

:beer

Giod luck @metropolis_4 - while I think you’d be better off financially in the long run holding onto the axe rig, I also get that there are more than financial costs involved in the analysis - it IS a lot easier to make room physically, mentally, and emotionally before bringing in a new iteration of a rig.

Back