Brigadier or Memory Lane Jr V2 ?

jellodog

Rock Star
I'm eyeing a couple of used options. Trying to decide.

I had a real BBD recently (Nano), and it died... so I think I'm done with the real thing. MLJr is hybrid though, if I understand correcty - i.e. the initial repeat sound is created via an analog chip, but then that tone is digitised and the the subsequent repeats are digital (?).

I like the sound of both of them, but of course they are different. The MLJr sounds slightly brighter, clearer and more percussive perhaps? Brigadier still sounds gorgeous though and has lots of character and options to adjust brightness and flavour of the repeats.

I like the modulation on both, even though they both sound different. I have never heard either in real life.

Anyone here have opinions?

(I suspect this all just comes down to personal taste and preferences really)

Last edited:
I used a MLJr. For years was ok with that, Switcher to UAFX starlight a few month back loved it. First new Digi delay that sounds comparable to 80s stuff. The strymon, eventide h9, Fractal etc stuff had me use plugins for delays. Nuff said

I'm eyeing a couple of used options. Trying to decide.

I had a real BBD recently (Nano), and it died... so I think I'm done with the real thing. MLJr is hybrid though, if I understand correcty - i.e. the initial repeat sound is created via an analog chip, but then that tone is digitised and the the subsequent repeats are digital (?).

I like the sound of both of them, but of course they are different. The MLJr sounds slightly brighter, clearer and more percussive perhaps? Brigadier still sounds gorgeous though and has lots of character and options to adjust brightness and flavour of the repeats.

I like the modulation on both, even though they both sound different. I have never heard either in real life.

Anyone here have opinions?

(I suspect this all just comes down to personal taste and preferences really)
Got GAS ? lol

Got GAS ? lol

I mean... sure, yes I suppose.

I have 2 completely different setups. On the one side, tube amps and pedals; and on the other the FM9 with everything in the box. I'm currently spending my time split between them equally.

As you know, I didn't sell the Bella in the end, so I've been enjoying having that in the house while it lasts, even though modelling makes the ultimate sense for me and eventually the Bella will probably go. And then there's a Princeton too... which I feel I'll probably always have unless I jump between countries again (and sell all the heavy stuff). I'm just enjoying trying out different (mostly delay) pedals at the moment.

Big Box EH Deluxe Memory Man. Go big or go home, JD! :banana

Oh I had that to in the past. I definitely don't want something that big, flakey and stoopid again!

The thing about the DMM is that yes it sounds great... but everything else about it is annoying AF ... including its power requirements :LOL:

LOL! That's what everybody says pretty much. Thanks 🙂

Well both are used, so less cash to lose if I don't like it and want to sell it on.

Tom Buckovac says the Brig is the best BBD style digital emulator out there. It didn't wow me. :idk

I love the EHX memory Man line. In spite of the quirks and all. They are the Kings of the Mountain
for BBD style delays.

Memory Lane Jr. is a sweet sounding digital pedal. Like Hybrid Marijuana. Could givbe you the best of both
worlds, or not as much of either as you really want. :LOL:

I'd look into the Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe, too.Not a true BBD style delay and more of a tape emulator,
but it has a good DLX Memory Man preset on it, and it has the preamp. It is outstanding.

Others in the BBD camp I think are home runs. Maxon AD900/999. Not a lot of bells and whistles, but god damn
they sound good. :chef

@la szum Yeah, I've got tape emulators up the wazoo right now. Definitely do not want or need anymore of those. A V2 El Cap arrived last week. Enough is Enough!

Ach. Maybe I'll just try and play guitar instead 🤷‍♂️

Love EHX products for modulation and time based effects ... good ol classics

Last edited:
jellodog wants that murky degradation in his repeats .... but with tap tempo, no noise, and a small footprint.

Is that too much to ask world??? :hmm

Probably static discharge (I stupidly changed a patch cable whilst it was powered up), or else just a surge. Half the buckets seemed to be fried anyway. The first repeat wasn't working anymore. That was the DMM Nano. It sounded great - loved the modulation, but I made up my mind to not buy that one again.

Back