Brigadier or Memory Lane Jr V2 ?

Bondi Art Van delay?

Maaaybe one day? It certainly ticks a lot of boxes and the colour is FANTASTIC.

Much more spendy than a used Brig and currently not available (until they do the new run). I do remember looking at that though and thinking it was pretty cool.

Also - first post!

Welcome ✨ AmbientOwl ✨ - I am honoured that you chose to reply to this thread first!

blade runner owl GIF

Last edited:
Allow me to help you, poor lost soul:

The beauty of a good properly analogue BBD delay is matched by nothing else. You will be a terrible fool to get a digital recreation. Possibly, you will die if you try. All BBD delays have *something* about them that's an annoying compromise or workflow limitation, but it's worth it and honestly part of their beauty often lies in exactly those limitations.

For pure tone and depth of lush modulation glory, the DMM is unsurpassed. I had a TT1100 for a year or so. Loved it, the downside is they're often quite noisy on low notes and longer delay settings - the "dust bunny" hiss where the noise is integral to the repeats, as opposed to noise floor.

The Rubberneck is fantastic. It's not as lush as the DMM, nothing is. And the modulation shape isn't quite as interesting, it sounds more like a standard sine wave. But it's still a glorious sounding box and very flexible with the tone and gain controls in the feedback loop.

A slightly left field one: Death By Audio Echo Dream 2. It's got beautiful modulation, a great melt-to-ringing-midrange feedback path, and does really wierd interesting glitchy stuff once you get over 400ms or so.

As a general point, I don't think it's really possible to properly judge a delay in a youtube demo. You need to be playing, get inside the soundscape, see how the relationship between the dry signal and ambience *feels* as you move within it. The beauty of the DMM, for example, isn't apparent just by listening; it's that you can have the wet signal cranked really high, but not feel like the dry signal is being overwhelmed. So in a practical context it's great for getting more delay forward in a mix without f*****g up your part.

I tried this yesterday. We may be wearing him down.

I much prefer digital over analog delays, though the old DMM I had was great, just a too short delay time available.
The MLJr is fantastic, it "sits" sooo good with your overall tone.

Ahhh. @Blix ... you are always the sensible voice of reason and experience. Thank you 🙇‍♂️
I haven't tried the Brigadier though! :) I fell in love with the MLJr from the first repeat.
Not the best example, but pretty much the only recording I have of it, love how the modulation sounds when I turn up the mix for the EVH tap harmonic:

I haven't tried the Brigadier though! :) I fell in love with the MLJr from the first repeat.
Not the best example, but pretty much the only recording I have of it, love how the modulation sounds when I turn up the mix for the EVH tap harmonic:

Laughing my ass off at the camera shake. That must have been LOUD AF! :rofl

Back