BOSS Katana MKIII

It seems like a fine update to a fine product, but it doesn't really appeal to me. Great option for beginner guitarists, they get a ton of sounds without needing to buy pedals. I traded mine in towards a simple tube amp, and between that and high end modelers I have my bases covered.

I was thinking the same thing when going over the specs for new models. They do look nice, but the price is so high that I would never get an Artist for instance over a versatile tube amp like the DSL40.
That's the tough situation with very versatile digital amps, where people don't want to pay for it when it costs as much as a half-decent tube combo, even if it did more of what you like.

Even the lowest tier Katana 50 Gen 3 is no longer under 300 € and I think that was a pretty important price point.

I like the Katana amps. I wouldn't replace my tube amps with it but for a lightweight all-in-one rig for band practice, open mics or even gigs I can't take my main rig, they're quite good. I've played a few gigs with a MkI head a few years ago and it was fine.

I was thinking the same thing when going over the specs for new models. They do look nice, but the price is so high that I would never get an Artist for instance over a versatile tube amp like the DSL40.

Having an Artist Mk2 for a year or so, it's a solid amp, but it has drawbacks. Compared to the little 50 watt amp, it costs over twice as much and weighs over 40 pounds where the 50w version is about 25. It's no longer small and light weight at all.

I think something like the 100 watt Katana with a speaker swap to something lightweight (like a Neo V Type) makes more sense for a gigging musician, because it's got more volume and a bigger sound than the 50 watter but still reasonable weight and size.

Having an Artist Mk2 for a year or so, it's a solid amp, but it has drawbacks. Compared to the little 50 watt amp, it costs over twice as much and weighs over 40 pounds where the 50w version is about 25. It's no longer small and light weight at all.

I think something like the 100 watt Katana with a speaker swap to something lightweight (like a Neo V Type) makes more sense for a gigging musician, because it's got more volume and a bigger sound than the 50 watter but still reasonable weight and size.
Back when I was tempted by these, it was always the Katana100. That seemed the best at price/size/weight/functionality

Back when I was tempted by these, it was always the Katana100. That seemed the best at price/size/weight/functionality
agree...the 2-12 katana appealed to me only if stereo. otherwise the 1-12 100 watt is what i originally had but seld to fund the artist which i didnt like as much as the 100 but never rebought the katana as the mk2 just came out

Still no IR l loading at least on the head versions? Sheeeat I'll stick with my Creambackatana Mk2

If you don't use the effects, the Catalyst has much better tones, IMO...

If you don't use the effects, the Catalyst has much better tones, IMO...

Out of the box I liked the Cat clean tone a lot better but the higher gain tone was awful IMO. I didn't try the newer versions as I sold it, but I think for a cheap amp the Cat 60 is a good pick. Better stock speaker than the Katana IMO.

Out of the box I liked the Cat clean tone a lot better but the higher gain tone was awful IMO. I didn't try the newer versions as I sold it, but I think for a cheap amp the Cat 60 is a good pick. Better stock speaker than the Katana IMO.
Yeah, I agree the high gain wasn't impressive, but almost everything I play was covered with the Crunch, Boutique, & Chime before I got my Stomp XL. Since then, I run my Stomp in the Poweramp Mode and IMO those speakers really sound good across a lot of sounds. Now I have 4 XL presets with stomp versions of 2203, Plexi, AC30, and Dual Rec for the higher gain songs we play and roll off with guitar volume on Plexi & Chime for the cleaner needs.

I did the upgrade on mine and messed around with the new amps last week, but these are just amps that were released on the HX Upgrade 6-8 months earlier and are already dialed in on my XL so I know they can sound really good they just need to be deep edited through the software.

My Cat 200 mostly stays at our drummers house being used as my practice amp there and I have a DSL100H at home. It's plenty loud for what we do, but since I got the DSL, I'm moving towards tube amp heads vs SS. I have a Marshall SC20H on order and when it comes in, I'll probably be parting ways with the Cat not be cause of what it cant do, but just because I'm going in a different direction with heads & cabs with this band I'm playing with.

TBH, you really cant go wrong with either direction, Cat or Kat, it just comes down to what ecosystem you prefer, Line 6 or Boss. IMO, just another Android vs Iphone, Ford vs Chevy, etc. deal...

What does the bloom setting do?

something vague and betterer according to the "documentation"

'sharpens attack'
'dynamic low end'

have to wait for an Artist Gen3 video I guess

other topic:

someone says katana preamp is solid state analog, not DSP. anyone have thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524_072913_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20240524_072913_YouTube.jpg
    791.9 KB · Views: 13
someone says katana preamp is solid state analog, not DSP. anyone have thoughts on this?
100% BS, you can load in a bunch of different amp models via the "sneaky amps", which is a loophole that appears to be closed for the new series.

Back