BOSS Katana GO

Isn't that possible with the Airs as well? I always thought so... in case it's not that's a major thing in favour of the KG, at least for me.

Not that I know of and there is no aux-out (althou
Oh wow, that's pretty bad then.
I mean, it's not that they'd be too shabby in case you need a nice and tidy HP practising solution - but come on, especially devices like this should allow you to record something. This is the stuff you grab in your hotel room and once inspiration hits, you just want to quickly record things, even if that meant you'd have a cable hanging from your head (which you would anyway, in case you were using traditional headphones).

I think the hanging cable is a good justification for it not being included in the Waza Air. Maybe now it's an easy addition to port over they might consider a Waza Air II.

Can someone test using this as an interface to a DAW ... using loopback ... to track in realtime? Some devices like this have interfaces that are pretty high latency which would be OK for recording ... but not much else?

There are times when travelling I want to have an interface to use a plugin in realtime.

Katana Go -> DAW -> loopback -> Katana Go -> headphones

I'd also like to try using an iPad as a looper via the interface audio stream. That would be really nice.

Katana Go -> iPad/LoopyPro -> loopback -> Katana Go -> headphones

quick test in Loopy Pro, it works as expected. i havent used it in so long I was unsure of set up...I muted the input track to hear katana go direct, unmuting it is doubling it? best guess it works but I need to familiarize myself with the app again. i was used to using a usb interface and hosting tonex with loopy pro

quick test in Loopy Pro, it works as expected. i havent used it in so long I was unsure of set up...I muted the input track to hear katana go direct, unmuting it is doubling it? best guess it works but I need to familiarize myself with the app again. i was used to using a usb interface and hosting tonex with loopy pro
That's great, thanks! I guess latency is good (less than approx ~12ms).

You muted the input track into loopypro and have loopback enabled and are listening with headphones coming out of the Katana Go, right?

I assume that covers overdubs as well.

I suspect that also means we can use it with a DAW ... but you cannot disable the amp and cab since to get a truly raw input to a modeler/daw.

That's great, thanks! I guess latency is good (less than approx ~12ms).

You muted the input track into loopypro and have loopback enabled and are listening with headphones coming out of the Katana Go, right?

I assume that covers overdubs as well.

I suspect that also means we can use it with a DAW ... but you cannot disable the amp and cab since to get a truly raw input to a modeler/daw.
I’ll try some more tomorrow. I was on way out when I saw your question so it was a rushed test.
I tried to get it to show as an interface in GarageBand but no luck. I could play and record but I was thinking it should be named as an input source somewhere. Been many years since I used GarageBand so that too was not a definitive test.

I’m hoping it should appear as an interface option with channel 1 and 2 for tracking and 3 and 4 for DI but if all we can do is bypassing everything in a Katana Go patch and naming it “DI”and saving it gets us a source for amp sims in DAW or stand alone software I can live with it. I’ll work on that too…

As for latency I’d say it is quite low the way I used it in Loopy Pro, I didn’t sense hardly any latency between the two ‘sources’, when muting the input track it simply lowered the overall output level. And lost a hint of flange/comb filter?
More like accidentally having two speaker sims on in series in signal chain and then deleting one.

Last edited:
Just got mine today. It’s charging and I’m excited to hear how it sounds. Tried the Waza headphones but in the end they were too expensive as I have killer headphones already. Returned them in order to fund another Fender FR12 for stereo operation with my Fractal and other modelers. I may just sell my Boss Katana Waza 100 watt combo if this little $120 device delivers.

We live in great times, Gentlemen.

Last edited:
Well, that’s super cool! Might just be the best $120 that I have ever spent. Great toy for silent practice indeed.

Haven’t even dived into the app yet. Neatly!

Well, that’s super cool! Might just be the best $120 that I have ever spent. Great toy for silent practice indeed.

Haven’t even dived into the app yet. Neatly!

The irony is that most of the people here already have nice digital rigs that can do so much more than the Katana Go, yet here we all are talking about what a great headphone solution it is.

Consumerism is alive and well around here.

The irony is that most of the people here already have nice digital rigs that can do so much more than the Katana Go, yet here we all are talking about what a great headphone solution it is.

I like having options in a shared household. Especially when they are cheap and offer useable tones, Not a core need but a welcome solution.

Last edited:
I like having options in a shared household. Especially when they are cheap and offer useable tones, Not a core nerd but a welcome solution.

“Shared household.” I like that. My ex wife has been staying with me the past few years (just as a roommate/tenant), and even though it’s my house, she got over the whole guitar thing around 1994, when we were still together. So I do spend quite a bit of time with headphones on, or very quietly through monitors.

Personal favorite modeler?
Fractal Audio AxeFX III Mark II Turbo. No contest.

That’s on the high end. Low end favorites would be Atomic Ampli—Firebox Mark II on sale for $199 and the NUX Amp Academy for $199 with the latest firmware.

Last edited:

The Katana GO (I don't have it yet), would be the PERFECT solution for my specific use case at the moment. I am flying to India for a month, with luggage weight restrictions, so I cannot carry rigs. I have one electric guitar in India, but no rigs or cables. Just a pair of earphones/headphones and the Katana GO would have been PERFECT to take to India, so I can still play, record and have my guitar lessons from my phone as well.

“Shared household.” I like that. My ex wife has been staying with me the past few years (just as a roommate/tenant), and even though it’s my house, she got over the whole guitar thing around 1994, when we were still together.
I'm recently in that same situation, weird as it seems, it's actually working out all right.

So, could someone say whether this allows for recording the DI signal while monitoring through the onboard amps? And has someone bothered to test the latency of this as an audio interface?

Can't it be something that serves a different purpose than your nicer digital setup? It's in the name - on the go.

I could see myself getting a Katana Go to take with me to my family's cabin in the summer for example. Sure, I could take e.g my pedalboard + Strymon Iridium too, but it's going to take more space, needs an outlet nearby etc. Sometimes you just want something really convenient. The greatest tones ever are not as much of a concern in that sort of scenario.

I could be lounging in a chair outside basking in the sun, rocking a guitar through the Katana Go on headphones!

Back