Blocking a floating bridge

Mongillo19

Rock Star
I'm looking to block a few floating bridges. I never use the whammy and just want to be able to not worry about tuning. My local shop is trying to charge $100 to just block it with a piece of wood (which sounds crazy to me). Has anyone tried the roll of pennies trick? Anything I should be aware of?

A plastic bottle cap used to work PERFECTLY for it on Strats, but they're not as deep as they used to be.

And $100 is nuts for a piece of wood when you can get these for $20-

Trem-Stop-1200x644.jpg

A door latch also does the trick and lets you go from blocked to floating/decked really quick!

52462932384_ccb21d5578_b.jpg

I've used business cards and bottle caps for it, probably some wood at one point but not everyone has access to tools to cut it up/shape it.

I did it with a peace of wood, back when I still owned a guitar with floyd rose.
There's really nothing to it, set your trem to correct position, measure in the back how thick peace of wood you need, cut it out, test fit, adjust / sand as needed, stick it behind the block, release the springs, done.

I've done wood, stack of pennies wrapped in painters tape, trem stopper with the screw, tremol-no. Stack of coins is by far the easiest but wood can be more stable. Trem stoppers and similar devices can allow you to dive only and be adjusted

I often use a stack of old business cards when changing strings, easy to adjust the necessary thickness. Place them between the block and the rear of the body so the bridge is parallel to the body, take one spring out and done. I guess you may use the same trick to block it, at least provisionally.

I've been using the Schaler Tremstop for ages. The advantages are that you can change very quickly from floating to fixed, and you do not have to insert you fingers into the guitar's butthole to engage it
TremStop.jpg

GK_guitars.JPG

If you have a problem about how it looks, you may have to lower the gain at your Narcissist Pedal :grin

I often use a stack of old business cards when changing strings, easy to adjust the necessary thickness. Place them between the block and the rear of the body so the bridge is parallel to the body, take one spring out and done. I guess you may use the same trick to block it, at least provisionally.
I've found that a Staedtler eraser has the perfect measure for that task

20221104_194544.jpg

I've been using the Schaler Tremstop for ages. The advantages are that you can change very quickly from floating to fixed, and you do not have to insert you fingers into the guitar's butthole to engage it
View attachment 2148
View attachment 2150
If you have a problem about how it looks, you may have to lower the gain at your Narcissist Pedal :grin

Oh my friend has a GIANT one of those mounted in her shower by a suction cup, I wonder why she's playing guitar in the shower?

I'm looking to block a few floating bridges. I never use the whammy and just want to be able to not worry about tuning. My local shop is trying to charge $100 to just block it with a piece of wood (which sounds crazy to me). Has anyone tried the roll of pennies trick? Anything I should be aware of?

Thats all I use is pennies when I do that. I think 11 sounds about right. I just wrap them up in electrical tape. For me I notice better sustain immediately in my strats when I did that.

Thats all I use is pennies when I do that. I think 11 sounds about right. I just wrap them up in electrical tape. For me I notice better sustain immediately in my strats when I did that.
It’s gotta be a tons better than a rubber eraser, LOL.

I never knew about that one. I just got sick of trying to find a good piece of wood for it.
Another thing you can do on the cheap is put some painters tape on the surfaces and get a stick of epoxy putty. Knead it and stuff it in to fill the voids. Honestly that's probably the easiest and the tape will stop it from being permanent.

Back