NGD: 1973 Gibson Les Paul Custom

So far, I'd say, for the Custom:

- neck is definitely slimmer, more like a "30/60 slim" profile, I think they call it? Reminds me of a 339 I had, or an LP Classic (though I haven't played a lot of those), feels fast and a bit better for legato runs, etc; (I can see how Rhoads maybe found it easier to shred on it vs a 59 neck?)

- it's a pound heavier but doesn't feel super heavy, but probably more bottom-heavy, due to thinner neck

- has a noticeably crisper attack and a bit more high end overall (some of that could be because the pickups are set closer to strings, but you can hear and feel it acoustically, too)

- it's bit louder acoustically, as well

- Custom has a very slinky, easy feel, I actually thought it had 9s on it when I first picked it up, don't know why that is

- it has modern wiring, vs the 50s wiring on the R9; I usually much prefer the latter but so far it's not bugging me on the Custom and I'll stick with it for now

Awesome! A Custom and a Standard are such different beasts.

I believe some of that noted brightness and bite on the Custom is due to the Ebony Fretboard
on a Custom vs. Rosewood Fretboard on a Standard (your R9).

Glad you have epic examples of both! :beer

That's an absolute stunner.

Glad you like the T-tops. They're a bit Marmite for people online it seems, I love mine. There's a vault in Paris that contains the standard unit of humbucker, and inside the vault is a T-top.

Sometimes when I look at LPC’s, I wonder “Why even bother with a non-Custom?”

I know other LP’s are great, my own Orville isn’t a Custom and it’s the best sounding guitar I own, but the aesthetics of the Customs alone are just …..dreamy.

Awesome! A Custom and a Standard are such different beasts.

They really are. I'm surprised, as I didn't think it would be that much. (For me it's a perfect amount of "different yet also similar," in terms of being super comfortable on both.)

I believe some of that noted brightness and bite on the Custom is due to the Ebony Fretboard
on a Custom vs. Rosewood Fretboard on a Standard (your R9).

Yes, it seems like it. There's a snap and articulation to the Custom that seems connected to that ebony board.

Glad you have epic examples of both! :beer

Thanks! I am grateful, for sure.

That's an absolute stunner.

Glad you like the T-tops. They're a bit Marmite for people online it seems, I love mine. There's a vault in Paris that contains the standard unit of humbucker, and inside the vault is a T-top.

Thanks! Yeah, the T-tops are killer! They just sound perfect to me, and really like "the sound of rock."

Sometimes when I look at LPC’s, I wonder “Why even bother with a non-Custom?”

I know other LP’s are great, my own Orville isn’t a Custom and it’s the best sounding guitar I own, but the aesthetics of the Customs alone are just …..dreamy.

I hear you! They're this perfect mix of badass yet also classy and beautiful.

Haven’t been able to play it with the band yet, and won’t until next week probably. But really loving playing it at home for now! :love

Here’s a new pic:

IMG_5990.jpeg

That LP just keeps looking better and better. :love Great condition.
Back around '93 in my early days of playing, there was a fellow I'd jam with that had an early 80's black custom. That thing was so beat to hell it looked 40 yrs old then.

That LP just keeps looking better and better. :love Great condition.
Back around '93 in my early days of playing, there was a fellow I'd jam with that had an early 80's black custom. That thing was so beat to hell it looked 40 yrs old then.

Yes, it's in great condition but definitely not without some dings and wear and tear. Pretty extensive buckle rash too, as well as weird extra strap holes someone put in. Overall it just feels very comfortable in the hands and like I don't have to baby it, which is nice. Front of the body is in super great shape.

Back