Everything Matters.

Yep, anyone saying otherwise is uneducated, or is trying to sell monetized clicks/shitty plugins

For sure. But I think great luthiers can't afford to make too many duds. They need to be able to eliminate a problem wood before the construction gets too far.
I think you would be surprised as to what gets out that LOOKS ok.

Nah, nothing matters.
If you want to make music you need an instrument that isn't faulty, holds tune, has action the way you like it, fits you ergonomically, and has everything in tip top shape from technical standpoint, and you'll make music.
Everything else is indulging in idle speech, blowing smoke, beating the dead horse, time wasting and filling salt shakers for guitar "connoisseurs".

(I knew who was quoted the moment I saw mind bogglingly retarded tangential argument about rubber brides and wet wood.)

Nah, nothing matters.
If you want to make music you need an instrument that isn't faulty, holds tune, has action the way you like it, fits you ergonomically, and has everything in tip top shape from technical standpoint, and you'll make music.
Everything else is indulging in idle speech, blowing smoke, beating the dead horse, time wasting and filling salt shakers for guitar "connoisseurs".

(I knew who was quoted the moment I saw mind bogglingly retarded tangential argument about rubber brides and wet wood.)
giphy.gif

You don't need any of that either to make music actually :idk amazing music can be made on absolute shite

You can take the reductionist thing as far as you want, but it doesn't benefit anyone, and it can always go further.

Nah, nothing matters.

Oh no, you can't say Nothing matters and then use the words EVERYTHING in tip top shape. :cop:hmm

You don't need any of that either to make music actually :idk amazing music can be made on absolute shite
100% true, it'll just be easier on a properly working tool (that's what music instruments are).
To go on a retarded tangent myself, you'll drive a nail with a stone and with a hammer, it'll just be easier with a hammer. Nobody will care about the hammer handle wood, including the guy using it, as long as it doesn't break.

100% true, it'll just be easier on a properly working tool (that's what music instruments are).
To go on a retarded tangent myself, you'll drive a nail with a stone and with a hammer, it'll just be easier with a hammer. Nobody will care about the hammer handle wood, including the guy using it, as long as it doesn't break.

Yes and no, material of a hammer can make differences for a number of reasons, but comparing a hammer to a guitar is apples and oranges…

Nobody will care about the hammer handle wood, including the guy using it, as long as it doesn't break.
That's a good point, even though it's out of context. Not all woods are equal. Hickory and Ash make excellent handles because they're hard as shit. Pine would wear out fast and break sooner. Some woods vibrate different in your hands and absorb shock a certain way too.

Anyway, the whole argument of saying "x" doesn't matter is highly philosophical, personal and most importantly totally subjective. The people proclaiming something doesn't matter the loudest are usually trying to sell something (in 2024, usually clicks) or people trying real hard to convince themselves of something :idk

Play what you like, play what you can afford, don't worry about other peoples stuff, and most importantly... play

I have my preferences but I've also played cheap solidbodies made of actual plywood that sounded just fine too

Back