Best 5150 Tones

@MirrorProfiles The first times of grace albums is easily one of my top albums of all time, it beats pretty much all kse albums, and I'm a huge kse fan. I think that album was a mix of 5150 and Adam D's cobra for the overdubs iirc.

Did you listen to serpentine dominion ? Another fantastic kse side project with mostly 5150s.

old In Flames definitely was the first band that got me interested in the 5150. And it seemed like nearly every metal band I listened to and saw as a teenager was using them, especially in the -core genres

For some reason I was never personally able to get on much with the 5150 and 5150 II I had. Always confused me because those amps produced some of the greatest high gain tones of all times. Just not in my hands lol

You are my tone tulpa, think we're often on the same page with tones we like.

I really dig the EVH amps for what they are, they're absolutely modern classics with good reason. But the original just left a mark that none of the others will ever really match, and there's something about it that just has that little extra magic.

Just having a blast on my 5150 - these were the sort of settings I needed to get them sounding similar. Very much "typical" 5150 tones for me. The MV bright cap was quite nice to just add a hint. Dropping the bias is important as is the SIC:

View attachment 17629View attachment 17627
What are your MV bright cap and bias levels? I tried some ballpark settings close to these and it sounded killer \m/

I definitely agree with the people posting things like In Flames, Trivium, and Bullet for my Valentine.

Also the Horizons album from Parkway Drive doesn't miss. Some of the best tones and riffs of that genre period IMO.

TesseracT uses 6505s. Kind of a unique take on the usual 6505 tone.

Still Remains. Fun song to play, and they have that midrange fizzy thing dialed just right.

Last edited:
In Flames - Colony.
5150 + Fredman technique = crushing tone.

edit: I see you've already have In Flames - Clayman, yep.

Couldn't agree more.

In Flames were (and probably still are) what I call my "revelation" band (even though I'm not into anything they put out since Come Clarity onward).

I recall stumbling onto them when I got a bunch of tabs (all sorts from pop to metal) back in fall 2004 when I had just started learning my way around the guitar.

Snuck in there, I came across a tab called "Ordinary Story" by In Flames. The melody and how it sounded was unlike anything I had heard before; went out of my way to listen to the track.

While I wasn't into that type of music yet (Metallica, Linkin Park were probably the heaviest stuff I was into back then), I was blown away by the guitar tone when I did. To this day, I still think the tones on Whoracle, Colony and Clayman are probably my favorite to date (I am probably biased because of the production, vocals and melodies which I liked a lot).

Those Parkway Drive "Horizons" and Trivium "Ascendency" 5150/6505 sounds are peak metal tone for me. Never was better before, never was better since.

Keep those examples coming. (And do some Helix Native Tonematches/presets, fwiw!)

Back