Best 5150 Tones

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
I suspect this thread will be somewhat more narrow genre wise to the Dual Rec, but goddamn this amp records well for the heavies. PEAVEY ERA ONLY. Ideally 5150/6505, 5150II/6505+ is acceptable too. EVH is a separate thread.

How does your 5150 (Block Letter?) compare to the EVHs, Ed? I am assuming you have an
EVH variant of some sort, or have.

How does your 5150 (Block Letter?) compare to the EVHs, Ed? I am assuming you have an
EVH variant of some sort, or have.
different circuit, both cool but the OG Peavey circuit is my favourite. The Stealth 6L6 probably gets closest to the original vibe but with its own thing going on. The OG's are more raw, open, aggressive to me and just have THE sound

Wow. Exactly what I would toss out there. The later EVHs/Fender are just narrower and more compressed
to me.

I had a Block Letter I sold 2018. Dumb! Such a great amp. I'll probably hunt another down before I do the
way of anything EVH! They just sound too gained up and compressed and while some dig that it is not my
bag.

I prefer the 5150 II it to the EVH and the first 5150, at least the Fractal models.
They all can be :chef The IRL II was my least favorite. The EVH are great but a different direction to my ears while still being a comparable replacement. The first time I heard a 5150 through a quad of t-75s at VOLUME was godlike for me. I wish there were more examples of the 6534+ in recorded form. I really liked it for non-satan related music.

Hahahahha Mirror posted all the examples I was going to in the first post. :rofl

That Times Of Grace record is the KsE album I've been waiting for since AOJB.

There's a certain grind I was able to get from my old 5150's that I haven't found in the 5153 yet, the Nazgul pickup definitely got it closer in that direction though. It's almost like adding all the things that you'd think could make an OG 5150 more aggressive were added to the 5153 but had the opposite effect, if that makes any sense.

I've only played mine through the EVH cab so far, too. I need to hear it through a Mesa 4x12 to get a better idea.

Hahahahha Mirror posted all the examples I was going to in the first post. :rofl

There's a certain grind I was able to get from my old 5150's that I haven't found in the 5153 yet, the Nazgul pickup definitely got it closer in that direction though. It's almost like adding all the things that you'd think could make an OG 5150 more aggressive were added to the 5153 but had the opposite effect, if that makes any sense.

I've only played mine through the EVH cab so far, too. I need to hear it through a Mesa 4x12 to get a better idea.
To be clear; I do LOVE the EVH's. But those OGs hold a special place in my heart :satan

I know Peter Dolving was supposedly tough to work with and I do appreciate Marco Aro; but that voice and able to do pretty much anything Dolving vibe was really something else. Albeit in a not noticed by as much of the general metal public as other things sort of way.

To be clear; I do LOVE the EVH's. But those OGs hold a special place in my heart :satan

If I got an OG at this point, it'd only serve as a studio amp. The MIDI switching and better channel separation on the EVH's are too good to pass up as a live amp and it's not like they don't absolutely rip, they just absolutely rip a little differently than the OG.

You are my tone tulpa, think we're often on the same page with tones we like.

I really dig the EVH amps for what they are, they're absolutely modern classics with good reason. But the original just left a mark that none of the others will ever really match, and there's something about it that just has that little extra magic.

Just having a blast on my 5150 - these were the sort of settings I needed to get them sounding similar. Very much "typical" 5150 tones for me. The MV bright cap was quite nice to just add a hint. Dropping the bias is important as is the SIC:

1705864172737.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 19.04.54.png

You are my tone tulpa, think we're often on the same page with tones we like.

I really dig the EVH amps for what they are, they're absolutely modern classics with good reason. But the original just left a mark that none of the others will ever really match, and there's something about it that just has that little extra magic.

Just having a blast on my 5150 - these were the sort of settings I needed to get them sounding similar. Very much "typical" 5150 tones for me. The MV bright cap was quite nice to just add a hint. Dropping the bias is important as is the SIC:

View attachment 17629View attachment 17627

Tulpa? Man, props for the Tibetan Buddhist word of the day usage. :beer

Begs the question, though, who created who?? :idk

Cool little book I read years ago involving embodied thought and a Tulpa. Fun and interesting read
by a well-respected comic book authour. :chef

1705949078858.png

Back