Audio Interfaces

James Freeman

Rock Star
What you got?

I got Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP.
Still rocking this trusty old gem from 2010 with a FireWire PCI Express card in my system.

My AxeFX is my main interface, but I’ve got a Scarlett Solo I set up in Logic as an aggregate device for tracking anything with a mic. It’ll probably be a while before I change anything in that front since I can’t fit anything else in my studio right now and since it’s in an apartment, I can barely even tracks an acoustic or vocals at the appropriate levels.

My AxeFX is my main interface, but I’ve got a Scarlett Solo I set up in Logic as an aggregate device for tracking anything with a mic. It’ll probably be a while before I change anything in that front since I can’t fit anything else in my studio right now and since it’s in an apartment, I can barely even tracks an acoustic or vocals at the appropriate levels.
Been there. Sucks to not be able to make music to your satisfaction. I used to have the neighbors call the doorman who would call and bitch.

Not recording currently, but “soon”. … axefx3 for interface I suppose.

(Still trying to pick a dat player off eBay for a reasonable price. Unbelievable.)

MOTU 828ES. The instructions for using their mix/routing software is hot garbage but once I got it figured out it’s great. I love the fact that when I’m working with my vocalist he can tap into it wirelessly via a web address and adjust all his monitoring levels to his own satisfaction.

Motu M4 and Stomp.

Rarely use them together, but plan to add more cables for the monitors because doing the “aggregate” thing confuses me sometimes with all the channels getting changed back and forth… so I’d rather have cables to the monitors from both stomp and Motu… I think… I don’t know..

UA x8p in the rack with some WARM Audio mic pre amps and a UA x4 on the desktop. I’m not crazy about having to be in a walled garden of sorts with UA stuff but it sure sounds good.

Last edited:
If it was't for my amps and cabs I like to mic once in a while I'd just use the Axe as an interface. I use the Black Lion Evolution.

Helix Floor, Focusrite Solo, and M20d used for drum tracking. The latter works if you factor in 2 seconds of latency - Line 6 missed a trick not giving it a low latency studio mode.

Hasn’t been much money free for the last 5 years what with 2 teenagers spending it all for me.

Expecting a little bit of spare cash so the current plan is an Audient Evo 16, supplemented with the bassists Yamaha Mixer via ADAT to up the channel count for full band tracking.

Back