Are you happy with your tones?

DrewJD82

Staff member
Saw this topic at the other place and thought it’d be a good discussion here.

Are you content with your tone as it is now, or are you still on the search for the perfect tone? There’s a myriad of questions that brings up in my mind; is it just ONE perfect tone, do you know what the tone is, or are you still trying to figure it out?

Personally, I don’t have a singular tone that I’d define as “my tone” and I love nearly all guitar tones. IMO, a perfect guitar tone is one that works perfectly with a song, regardless of the genre or if I even like the song. Overall, I’m quite fond of the Mesa sound and tend to stick in that area with heavy, distorted stuff, but I also love the modded/boosted Marshall sound and of course, 5150’s. That’s part of the reason I can’t stick with one amp for very long and really wanted to go with modeling.

A’m I happy with my tone?
Oh heck no 😔
I’m using a Boss Gt100 and stymied trying to get close to this .
I realize that Michaels technique is a huge factor but still…
I twist and turn settings to no avail 🤷🏻

Had the GT100 for a bit recently after never having that era of Boss stuff outside of their synth stuff. "Feel" was great but tones were verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry dated. Cleans were super inspiring but the dirt side was not up their current snuff.

Yes, very much so. I keep trying other stuff but always return to my main sound/setup:

Mesa Electra Dyne head
Recto 2x12 or Trad 4x12, or Lone Star 2x12
FM9 in 4cm + Keely Fuzz Head

I also enjoy experimenting with Fractal amp models + the above-mentioned cabs, using my Katana 100 head as a power amp. Have been finding great sounds, but still prefer my Electra Dyne overall. I think a better power amp will help the modelling setup, which I want to try next year. Also want to play around with a good stereo powered PA speaker setup.

Yeah I am loving it right now. Fractal Axe FX 3 running the Brit 800 amp model and all the effects I need. Am I still tweaking around the edges? Sure...I may swap out pickups and have been tinkering with a small pedalboard into a combo amp. But for my main sound, really happy right now.

Right now anyway, I'm finding that less is more. The one amp model with gain up or down or a boost pedal in front does most of it. I do need to flip over to something high gain for the more modern tighter rhythm stuff though. But I'm not finding the need to play around with a Fender and a Vox and a bunch of stuff. I've also been on the one IR for everything train for a long time. A good Greenback seems to work for just about anything.

Yeah I am loving it right now. Fractal Axe FX 3 running the Brit 800 amp model and all the effects I need. Am I still tweaking around the edges? Sure...I may swap out pickups and have been tinkering with a small pedalboard into a combo amp. But for my main sound, really happy right now.

Right now anyway, I'm finding that less is more. The one amp model with gain up or down or a boost pedal in front does most of it. I do need to flip over to something high gain for the more modern tighter rhythm stuff though. But I'm not finding the need to play around with a Fender and a Vox and a bunch of stuff. I've also been on the one IR for everything train for a long time. A good Greenback seems to work for just about anything.

Yeah man, finding some IR’s I dig for multiple amps was one of the biggest time savers I did with my III. I just save them in the block library as “Marshall-y”, “Mesa/5150”, “EOB”, etc. I know if I’m using a Friedman amp, the ’Marshall-y’ block will work and the Mesa/5150 IR will work for most scooped metal tones.

Some days, some guitars - a resounding yes. Those other days with those other guitars, or even the same day with other guitars? Heh, not so much.

One thing I'm dealing with is since I paid for Omega Amps DI Kemper profiles I literally forking hate 99% of my other profiles. It's like the reverse of ear fatigue, it's more like they've seasoned my ears with their inherent sizzle and now I want that damn sizzle everywhere and I can't have it.

Some days, some guitars - a resounding yes. Those other days with those other guitars, or even the same day with other guitars? Heh, not so much.

One thing I'm dealing with is since I paid for Omega Amps DI Kemper profiles I literally forking hate 99% of my other profiles. It's like the reverse of ear fatigue, it's more like they've seasoned my ears with their inherent sizzle and now I want that damn sizzle everywhere and I can't have it.

Man, I have days where my ability to hear treble is off. I’ve destroyed a lot of mixes due to this when I haven’t realized it’s off before I sit down in the studio. Some days I hear a ton of it, some days I can’t hear it at all. When I realize it’s off, I won’t touch anything because I’ll end up f*cking up a preset or a mix, I just ignore it….or try to.

On topic; yes. Really with whatever rig at a given time. Badlander, SY guitar tone, Mustang amps (lolsorrynotsorry) and HX all provide good-great sounding tools to get the job done. As itchy said, though; always looking for that 0.001% improvement. I don't really think that exists for me at this point though. I still GAS because who are we kidding but I am satisfied.

I've come full circle in the last few years and realised that all I really care about is a Marshall-style amp (plexi or 2203 / 800 ish) with an overdrive and some reverb / delay.

I used Guitar Rig 5 for years as my only amp when I got into playing properly and my one preset was exactly this.
After going through a bunch of amps IRL I've found a really good Marshall-style amp that works for me along with a couple pedals.

I still look at new amps out of curiosity, but I could probably live with this setup for a good long while and still be satisfied now that I've also found "my" guitar.

edit: of course, I also have an FM9 to play with when I get bored of my usual stuff (or for recording / headphones playing, etc).

:headbang

Last edited:
Never been happier. Of course, been at this too damn long to NOT be happy at this point. If
I had wasted all that experience that probably wouldn't speak well of me. ;)

My mission in life is now to serve others by "Bringing Back The Mids." Which often means
trimming a lot of that fat in the low-end guitar players seem to think they have needed since
the entire realm of metal and rock guitar tones got Hetfielded way back in 1988. :LOL:

I say all of that as someone who loves "heavy" tones, too. That Mesa post gain 5 band EQ
was a tonal gamechanger--for both good and ill.

Last edited:
A’m I happy with my tone?
Oh heck no 😔
I’m using a Boss Gt100 and stymied trying to get close to this .
I realize that Michaels technique is a huge factor but still…
I twist and turn settings to no avail 🤷🏻

Cheech needs a Helix :headbang

Never been happier. Of course, been at this too damn long to NOT be happy at this point. If
I had wasted all that experience that probably wouldn't speak well of me. ;)

My mission in life is now to serve others by "Bringing Back The Mids." Which often means
trimming a lot of that fat in the low-end guitar players seem to think they have needed since
the entire realm of metal and rock guitar tones got Hetfielded way back in 1988. :LOL:

I say all of that as someone who loves "heavy" tones, too. That Mesa post gain 5 band EQ
was a tonal gamechanger--for both good and ill.

I put the 5-band on almost every high gain head in the AxeFX. :rofl I don’t kill the mids entirely, though…well, sometimes I do.

Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I am very happy with the tones i get from my Helix, i plan on getting better at using my Helix as well as improving my playing
Do i have a perfect tone? no because i do covers so i try to mimic the tone of whatever song im learning to sound as close to the album recording as possible.
Hence why i chose the modelling route
but thats me

I am very happy with the tones i get from my Helix, i plan on getting better at using my Helix as well as improving my playing
Do i have a perfect tone? no because i do covers so i try to mimic the tone of whatever song im learning to sound as close to the album recording as possible.
Hence why i chose the modelling route
but thats me

If you’re having fun doing it, it’s the perfect tone!

Back