Anyone else noticing ridiculous used pricing?

This one blew my mind today. I’m always thinking about buying another ET-290N so I see them a lot. Typically they were selling around the $600-700 range. Even just a few months ago

I think this person is dreaming

This! This is exactly what I'm running into. Stuff that was $5-700 recently, now going for well over a grand... people be crazy.

Markets very weird right now. People are still trying to hold onto the covid era sellers market pricing, but that stuff isn't selling. I think there is some obfuscation in the used gear market right now. I've found quite a few killer deals over the last couple years, and when I've listed stuff for sale even at very competitive pricing, its tended to sit and sit for ages (and I'd say denver is a pretty big market for gear. Maybe not LA or nashville, but i think its up there)

As long as people are prepared to wait or even not sell combined with nobody having any spare money prices will stay high. Also there is nothing much for sale.

In the last 24 hours I've come across an Aria Pro bass in a model I was interested in. Last year, same model bass selling for $6-900 (saw 2 or 3 list and sell but I didn't have the spare cash to grab one). One for sale today $1795 (price dropped from $2000...). Then I came across a 7-string model I've seen a few dozen times over the last year or two that I dig selling in the $5-700 range. One for sale today $1150... While neither is a typical ho-hum million-out-there Strat or such, those price increases are nuts.

It's not nuts, stuff gets old and stops being available in decent condition so the pieces that are are fewer than the people interested in them. the key is noticing the trend and buying the things you want when they ARE available because all of a sudden there is no decent examples for sale and the ones that appear are expensive. The Jackson in my avatar is an example. I have been looking for a mid 80s mint USA custom SL1 probably for 20 years that had a Floyd (factory) at the right price. These are just starting to go UP and I recently got this one for more than I wanted to pay but everything good has gone up too making the price relatively good. I haven't seen one this good for years so I bought it.
tempImage3UjKeK.jpg

This! This is exactly what I'm running into. Stuff that was $5-700 recently, now going for well over a grand... people be crazy.
Also with the good stuff way out of most peoples budget it put's the spotlight on stuff like this for people to collect. I used to buy Plexi and 70s Marshalls and Park amp heads in junk shops for under £100 regularly to ship to Japan or the USA ,nobody wanted them.

This here smells eerily similar to the "truth."

I have commented on this in the past. The pandemic artificially bloated
interest in musical instruments. Demand skyrocketed. Manufacturers
got caught short. They increased supply. Now demand has fallen and the
90% of people who didn't stick with playing means a glut of stock in
the used market.

The prices will likely keep coming down for the foreseeable future.

This here smells eerily similar to the "truth."

I have commented on this in the past. The pandemic artificially bloated
interest in musical instruments. Demand skyrocketed. Manufacturers
got caught short. They increased supply. Now demand has fallen and the
90% of people who didn't stick with playing means a glut of stock in
the used market.

The prices will likely keep coming down for the foreseeable future.

Not In my experience. Everything has gone up and it largely staying up. Some items that are not particularly desirable were also dragged up in price but don’t easily sell . Some pieces get reduced to actually sell but the rest just stays at a price that most won’t pay. It is always supply and demand.affected slightly by people’s willingness to reduce prices to achieve a sale. At the moment nobody is really willing to lower prices by much and the means nothing is for sale further pushing prices up.

Also the price it was new is totally irrelevant. How much was a 59 Les Paul? $249 and nobody wanted them.

I think the point is there is a glut of guitars now (more supply) and less demand.
That will tend to drive prices downward. :idk

I think the point is there is a glut of guitars now (more supply) and less demand.
That will tend to drive prices downward. :idk
I think you are correct here although it may take some time to spread to all markets.

I just experienced this last week. I needed a backup LP for the band I have been playing with for alt tunings and higher gain stuff. I saw an ad on FB Marketplace for a 2 year old Epi LP with 2 practice amps, cords, strap, case, etc., the whole "New Guitarists Starter Package". I told him about 3 weeks ago I would give him about half of what he was asking, but I only wanted the guitar. He declined my offer and last week I told him I would take the guitar and case and added $100 to my offer. He agreed and when I went and picked it up, he had everything offered in the ad. He told me that I was the only one that contacted him about the FB ad and since he did not hear from anyone else, he decided to just give everything to me for the guitar and case only offer. Now I have a Blackstar battery powered couch amp, a Fender Vibro Champ XD that needs cleaning up and new power cord socket. Probably going to sell that Fender amp when I get it fixed, but it looks like supply/demand thing is going on but it usually takes a while for sellers to realize it aint a sellers market any more.

Wow! You're not wrong. I just went to adverts.ie to see if there were any nice 7 strings and saw an Ibanez fghyfytgty7ugdsxf5gbz"/&:tg for €999 and when I checked the new price on Thomann it was €1,033!

They need to knock off a bit more than 34 quid. :cautious:

There has always been stupid listings. Prices in general are higher and S/H for the most part is just a reflection of that. But the interesting part is anything collectable or rare is either not available at all of not selling. The price is very high. The high end vintage market is basically saying; this stuff is getting much harder to find so this is the price and if you don’t want to pay that I will just keep it.
There may be a crash but the good stuff will not come down.

Shipping and platform fees (Reverb, ebay, local consignment, etc.) eat up a chunk of potential savings.

Not just USA same here UK.

Yup you keep seeing "I just want what it owes me" in ads over here like people are entitled to their cash back on used gear. A lot of people who overpayed in the pandemic will either need to suck it up and take a hit or just hold onto some of the stuff they've bought.

Yup you keep seeing "I just want what it owes me" in ads over here like people are entitled to their cash back on used gear. A lot of people who overpayed in the pandemic will either need to suck it up and take a hit or just hold onto some of the stuff they've bought.
There has been a significant increase in the price of many things and it is not going back.

Back