Any love for the G12H-30?

The new 2x12 EVH Stealth dynacab in the beta FW for the Fractal Axe Fx III has been a bit of a pleasant surprise for me. It’s probably the first dynacab — or equivalent skeuomorphic(?) cab/IR — where I’ve struggled to get it to sound bad or unusable. The thing sounds AMAZING anywhere I chuck the mic. This got me wondering whether I’m the only one who likes this cab and/or the G12H-30 as much as I do.

I’d love to hear folks’ thoughts if you’ve had any IRL experience with the G12H-30. Is it really that good? Or is the dynacab some sort of voodoo magic? Or is it the EVH cab that makes it sound so good? It seems like one of those speakers that kind of flies under the radar a bit and gets overshadowed by the Greenback and V30. Or maybe I’ve been an ignorant fool all these years…

I had a 1979 1960A with G12H30 blackbacks. I can see why they’re popular - kind of scooped and smiley facey without getting too fizzy.

What’s weird with them is if you pummel them with volume (a la 70’s marshall), they end up sounding like m25’s. Haven’t tried reissues but knowing Celestion they’ll sound quite different.

I had a 1979 1960A with G12H30 blackbacks. I can see why they’re popular - kind of scooped and smiley facey without getting too fizzy.

What’s weird with them is if you pummel them with volume (a la 70’s marshall), they end up sounding like m25’s. Haven’t tried reissues but knowing Celestion they’ll sound quite different.
I have a Blackback cab pack (from ML Sound Labs) and it sounds a lot like Greenbacks. But the newer G12H-30 speakers in teh EVH cabs sound more like a V30 and a Greemback had a baby. The newer one ahs the mids of the V30 but also seem sto have the Greenback sizzle and thump. Pretty great sound, IMO.

P.S> - not to overshadow the Blackbacks, btw. They sound magnificent with Plexis.

Too bright for me IRL. I put creamback 65’s in my EVH 2x12’s and 1x12’s. I prefer them over the G12H 30’s.

I have a Blackback cab pack (from ML Sound Labs) and it sounds a lot like Greenbacks. But the newer G12H-30 speakers in teh EVH cabs sound more like a V30 and a Greemback had a baby. The newer one ahs the mids of the V30 but also seem sto have the Greenback sizzle and thump. Pretty great sound, IMO.

P.S> - not to overshadow the Blackbacks, btw. They sound magnificent with Plexis.
There’s different types of Blackback, could be that the ML ones are M25’s?

With celestion there is

8 Ω
16 Ω
55hz
75hz

as well as all the m25/H30 variations. Even beyond that there’s different model numbers (beginning with T). That T number is really the most useful way of distinguishing speakers

For some CCV action.
-Hell yeah man,
4X12 w/ (2) H-30’s (Annie’s) X (2) old school CL80’s
pounds skull💪
Also, H-30’s kill with TopHat & Divided by 13,
Dr.Z’s
The G12H-30 (75hz) is REALLY smokin’ with the old school Carr Mercury💯
I also loved them with my Friedman Butterslax 412 X15’s ,
(2)H-30 Annie’s X (2) Celestion Fullback 15’s.
Butter’s for miles with a Mesa Lonestar Classic.
The speaker of Jimmy Page.
By nature..I never have any of H-30’s
in my cabinets, btw.

They're a bit strident on their own, at least the ones I have (1971 pulsonics). I like the G12M-20 or 25 better, or a mix of the M and H.

The OG H30s are a classic, right there with the M25s. No surprise the reissues have some merit. One of my fave Celestions. They mix well w/ others.

Haven't had much luck with Anniv. or 55Hz Heritage, but I dig most of the other variants. And although they overpower M's a bit, I still dig a blend in a 4x12 (typically M's up top).

There’s different types of Blackback, could be that the ML ones are M25’s?

With celestion there is

8 Ω
16 Ω
55hz
75hz

as well as all the m25/H30 variations. Even beyond that there’s different model numbers (beginning with T). That T number is really the most useful way of distinguishing speakers
Wow I didn’t realise that they had do many versions! Gotta give each one a shot some time then!

Back