The boom in modded Rectos

Precisely! It's like people butchering their iconic Fenders and Marshalls to "improve" them
throughout the 1970s and 80s. I thought we left that nonsense behind. :hmm

:LOL:

If an arguably Great Amp doesn't give you want you want, then there's dozens
out there that will. Go buy one of those and leave these poor amps alone. :ROFLMAO:
I said this about modding JCM 800’s.
Leave the damn workhorses alone!!
Nah, mod’em to snot if heart yearns for it.

So what does tung sol in v1 actually do? So I know what to expect and can decide if it gives me something I'm missing
For me, the tube is quiet, tightens & brightens the amp in a better ways.
Really effective in Recto’s.
It’s also great for sparkly cleans.
Once you install one, you never go back, it’s the “v1” tube you can count on.

My amp tech was just pushing me to put a tung-sol in V1 of my SuperDrive 18 and Dual Rec. I ended up tracking down a lightly used old US one.

Do you primarily use the new ones? I’ve been curious about them.

+1 for the TungSol in v1.

Tung Sol in V1 is a definite a brightener of a tube amp. Especially if you
are coming from using one of them murky ass JJs.

:sofa

The only downside I have encountered with Tung Sols is an occasional 12AX7
that wants to be a bit microphonic. :idk

Tung Sol in V1 is a definite a brightener of a tube amp. Especially if you
are coming from using one of them murky ass JJs.

:sofa

The only downside I have encountered with Tung Sols is an occasional 12AX7
that wants to be a bit microphonic.
Understood.
Some of these modded Recto’s do sound visciously cool.

I'll stick my head inside the combo later and check it doesn't already have a tungsol in v1. If it doesn't I will get one ordered.

is there Any particular sub-type of tungsol 12ax7 to look out for?

Honestly, I think modding any recto is just pointless. In fact, modding most amps is pointless. There are so many out there, just go and buy an amp you like the sound of.

And if you can't do that, stick a pedal in front of your amp, or in the effects loop, to get it to where you want it to be.

In fact, modding most amps is pointless. There are so many out there, just go and buy an amp you like the sound of.
Some amps are just good platforms for modding. That's why so many amps are derived from JCM800's or Plexi's or old Fender circuits.

They'll have a good platform of suitable transformers, voltages, a big chassis with enough space to work in, as well as a solid starting point for gain stages/tone stacks/phase inverter/power amp arrangements. Most amps are pretty similar to each other, little tweaks here and there can make them sound pretty different.

The problem is, Rectifiers are NOT a good platform - complicated PCB, loads of switching, weird design choices. Modding makes sense on something simple and straightforward (like a single channel caveman amp), because you have pretty much a blank slate with a few starting blocks in place. Even most small tweaks on Recto's seem to upset the balance elsewhere - probably why each early revision has its own pro's and con's and why later versions don't quite sound the same as early ones.

As well as most Rectifier mods sounding considerably worse than stock, I haven't heard a single 5150 that sounded better than a stock cold biased 5150. As soon as someone says they've added a bias pot, choke, and Mercury transformers, I know that amp will sound like ass.

Some amps are just good platforms for modding. That's why so many amps are derived from JCM800's or Plexi's or old Fender circuits.

They'll have a good platform of suitable transformers, voltages, a big chassis with enough space to work in, as well as a solid starting point for gain stages/tone stacks/phase inverter/power amp arrangements. Most amps are pretty similar to each other, little tweaks here and there can make them sound pretty different.

The problem is, Rectifiers are NOT a good platform - complicated PCB, loads of switching, weird design choices. Modding makes sense on something simple and straightforward (like a single channel caveman amp), because you have pretty much a blank slate with a few starting blocks in place. Even most small tweaks on Recto's seem to upset the balance elsewhere - probably why each early revision has its own pro's and con's and why later versions don't quite sound the same as early ones.

As well as most Rectifier mods sounding considerably worse than stock, I haven't heard a single 5150 that sounded better than a stock cold biased 5150. As soon as someone says they've added a bias pot, choke, and Mercury transformers, I know that amp will sound like ass.
It’s like dressing up fast food..
No- give me the Royal’ with cheese.
The troublemaker in the norm= METAL

It depends on what you’re doin’ with it.
Some dudes need the super heavy high gain amps to get ruthless.
Crazy shit.
So I do get modding them.
It’s like going out on the town with Satan
& getting him a haircut to your liking!
Holy LOL!!!🤘🏻🤣🤘🏻

Back