Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

How hard would it be to retrofit a heel mount truss-rod adjustment wheel to a neck that didn't have it before? Like this one:

The guitar neck :
IMG_2310.jpeg
IMG_2309.jpeg

How hard would it be to retrofit a heel mount truss-rod adjustment wheel to a neck that didn't have it before? Like this one:

The guitar neck :View attachment 19935View attachment 19934
The 24th fret is in the way., it would also depend on the truss rod installed. Sometimes it is possible to fit just a spoke wheel nut and rout the access . BUT often a new roof will be needed and that is fingerboard off . Expensive. I would say it’s not worth the money most of the time and on your guitar it doesn’t look practice even then.

The 24th fret is in the way., it would also depend on the truss rod installed. Sometimes it is possible to fit just a spoke wheel nut and rout the access . BUT often a new roof will be needed and that is fingerboard off . Expensive. I would say it’s not worth the money most of the time and on your guitar it doesn’t look practice even then.
Dealing with the 24th fret obstruction can be tricky, especially considering the truss rod setup. In many cases, the effort and cost may not justify the modification, especially if it doesn't seem practical for your guitar.

I would be doing the work myself - so you don't think I could route a little roof on the fingerboard almost to the fret? and route the pocket to hold the thumbwheel ?

I was actually thinking an adaptor like this:

1710358897429.jpeg

Or this :

1710359374102.jpeg

I have to take the neck off and measure.

It's so annoying to take the neck off that I basically don't play that guitar in the winter because the relief goes out of whack.

They are a possibility but I can’t imagine they would not cause issues with vibration due to not being properly attached.

The ones I have used are replacing the old nut entirely but they only work on old school vintage single rods.

I would be doing the work myself - so you don't think I could route a little roof on the fingerboard almost to the fret? and route the pocket to hold the thumbwheel ?

I was actually thinking an adaptor like this:

View attachment 19967

Or this :

View attachment 19968
I have to take the neck off and measure.

It's so annoying to take the neck off that I basically don't play that guitar in the winter because the relief goes out of whack.
Good luck on that project. It wouldn't be very easy but I think it is doable. I was thinking you could actually setup a controlled humidity room to do that project with a good quality humidifier but I realized that would be quite a challenge to do in a home workshop which I think you need to take the neck of your guitar.

On balance I think due to the position of the last fret in relation to the end of the neck (maple part) it's a non starter for that adapter. They will cause problems of their own too. In practice you would need to fit something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/39462926...PtBvphlhK81P6CphI0f2Z4a_MQtiQ-lhoCXeMQAvD_BwE)
but that is a rebuild of the neck and you would still have issues with the placement of the pin wheel and the clearance it needs. Buy a Charvel DK 24.

Hi Andy. I would like to replace the height adjustment screws in my Callahan bent steel strat saddles with shorter screws. What screw size and source do you recommend?

Hi Andy. I would like to replace the height adjustment screws in my Callahan bent steel strat saddles with shorter screws. What screw size and source do you recommend?

No need to bother Andy! Bug Google instead. :giggle:

Amazon has what you need.
1710773733091.png

1710773780863.png

Last edited:
Back to the previously discussed project, and overall hijack of Eagle's thread :facepalm

Waited a week for new pu's to arrive, but magically, I had no problem getting the pair physically in place. Whoduhthunkit?? :unsure: After the fiasco with the used ones from last weekend, it was rather nice!

Here's the before with cream rings and PRS pu's:
CU24 Pre-Pandemoniums.jpg

And the after shot with DiMarzio Pandemoniums and my spray painted pu rings:
CU24 Pandemoniums.jpg

CU24 Pandemoniums Closer.jpg

Hey Zeus Fuckerin' Kristine, these pu's fucking rawk! And this is without a D string cause someone :idk forgot they had to cannibalize the last pack of strings, but left the full pack in the "string change and misc guitar stuff" box, so it looked intact. Hard to remember everything lmao.

But omg, the difference is night and day - heaven and hell, you get the picture. My CU24 has been resurrected!!

Thanks, @Eagle for your wiring assistance, worked 1st time, all positions are correct! :chef

@Eagle Question...I recently scored a very nice AZ2204N Prestige. It's currently stock and I was curious about your take on the

Gotoh Bridge - T1702B. Is this as good as it gets or is there a direct replacement (upgrade) for it ? I'm not having any issues with

the bridge but I was just wondering. (( maybe leave well enough alone ?)) Thanks for your time....

Back