Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

Semi- to not-at-all retired. :bonk

I have another 5 to 10 years to log before I can Sunbathe in the nude out back. :LOL:
OH damn, I must've misunderstood from something you said at one point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now you have no fookin' excuse, get to soldering son! :clint And what are you putting in the Mccarty? Assuming it's the original doublecut with "Mccarty" pu's? Heard a lot of good about them, but no 1st hand experience.

Oh, just cause I'm semi-bored at work today and I wanted a pretty picture to go by when I do the pu swap, I made a 100% custom drawing!

It can't compare with some of the shit y'all produce, especially @Stone Excel sheets, but it's good enough. :grin

Intentionally didn't color the old PRS wires and the Dimarzio white wires are shown gray.
CU24 Stock and Dimarzio Wiring.png

Yay me. Person I bought the pickups from had 3 different size screws out of the 4 total height adjustment ones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Only 1 of the 4 would probably be workable for me, with this guitar pu's sit pretty close to the rings.

Fun part is the screws he used were wayyyy bigger than what I've ever seen used on a pickup. Went to Home Depot and their #4-38 were the closest, would screw in the base plates but wouldn't hold under string pressure. He must've had issues getting height right and used whatever he had laying around the house, basically reamed the baseplate holes out. OMG. That's what I get for buying used pickups amirite?

Yay me. Person I bought the pickups from had 3 different size screws out of the 4 total height adjustment ones. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Only 1 of the 4 would probably be workable for me, with this guitar pu's sit pretty close to the rings.

Fun part is the screws he used were wayyyy bigger than what I've ever seen used on a pickup. Went to Home Depot and their #4-38 were the closest, would screw in the base plates but wouldn't hold under string pressure. He must've had issues getting height right and used whatever he had laying around the house, basically reamed the baseplate holes out. OMG. That's what I get for buying used pickups amirite?
With a tap and die set you can make a new screw thread.

That sucks! Hard! You can't have larger screws, because that fucks up the aesthetic with
larfger screwheads. :facepalm

I have had that happen in the used pickup hunt before. I also bought one (unknowingly)
with a nut soldered onto the bottom of the lug. :idk

The issue with that is you need enough clearance in the routing of the guitar body to
make that extra depth work. Could be an option for you.

That sucks! Hard! You can't have larger screws, because that fucks up the aesthetic with
larfger screwheads. :facepalm

I have had that happen in the used pickup hunt before. I also bought one (unknowingly)
with a nut soldered onto the bottom of the lug. :idk

The issue with that is you need enough clearance in the routing of the guitar body to
make that extra depth work. Could be an option for you.

Pandemonium ensued! How ironic. :LOL:
I'm punting. I am so not one to give up easily. But I surrender.

I got forked, hard, not even waited until I was fully bent over. Yeah, that bad.

Holes were really reamed. I spent a couple hours cutting pieces of metal off a those plates you nail onto a stud over plumbing. Crazy clued and clamped after wire brushing everything clean. Then did the best I could to also solder the pieces on. Ground them down to look pretty.

Then once I started drilling new holes one of the pieces popped off and my patience is over, lol. Didn't get mad at least, nothing to be mad about when you get screwed over, it's yer own fault. :clint

IF there wasn't damning evidence of the covers being removed and excessive heat damage from them trying to get the covers resoldered. On the neck pu they totally failed and I had to resolder it. Too much chance of 'em not working once I do finally get that last tab to withstand a drill. Just not worth it lmao. Last thing I want is all this trouble and - no sound, or worse? Is there worse then replacement pu's with no sound? :unsure:

'Nother fail of this project is the black PRS USA rings I ordered don't have recessed holes for the adjuster screws, only the corner ring screws. WTF Paul? I spent $20 for these black plastic rings? While I wait for NEW pu's to arrive I may just spray paint the old cream rings.

I am guessing the Gear Gods are sparing you from realizing you wouldn't have liked those PU's
anyways, Dave. :idk

That blows, though. You get so excited and then end up being challenged by an unexpected
stream of shit because the seller was not up front and honest. :brick

I'd be pissed. Because that asshat cost you time and $$ and effort you didn't need to waste, and
can't get back. :horse

Want me to bust some kneecaps for ya????

comedy central GIF by Workaholics

:rof

I am guessing the Gear Gods are sparing you from realizing you wouldn't have liked those PU's
anyways, Dave. :idk

That blows, though. You get so excited and then end up being challenged by an unexpected
stream of shit because the seller was not up front and honest. :brick

I'd be pissed. Because that asshat cost you time and $$ and effort you didn't need to waste, and
can't get back. :horse

Want me to bust some kneecaps for ya????

comedy central GIF by Workaholics

:rof
If you don't mind going to Uhhl Ayyy? As in Cali? :facepalm Yes, please, kill them, that's all you have to do.

Sorry, man. :hugitout
Thank you, it's fine, at our age ain't no point getting mad.

Now, do I order new Pandemonium's or something similar? Have we been here before? :unsure: Eagle's going to get mad hijacking his thread.

had 3 different size screws out of the 4 total height adjustment ones.
I guess I'm just weird this way...

I keep an assortment of any kind of screw I may need, right in my driver case, in a zip-lock baggie. Any time I have an extra screw(s) left over from whatever I'm doing, I'll just add them to the ones in the bag.

Reason, is many times at work I'm doing something that requires just a couple screws, and many types will work, but I don't want to go hunting for them, so I usually have something that will do the job, right in that plastic baggie.

But what I won't do, is use screws with different heads, if there's a good chance someone else will likely be the one who ends up removing it later one, as in something temporary.

Cuz I can't stand removing 3 screws of one type, then having to dig out a different tip to remove the last one!

I guess it's not only in construction, in which people never think about the person who comes behind them. :hmm

I am guessing if they guy had been up front about reaming out the pickup lug @Warmart
would have passed on the seemingly "great deal." :idk

I assume you are sending them back??

I vote to send them back. He wasn't honest about the issue. Reverb will work with ya.

The truth is the truth!

I guess I'm just weird this way...

I keep an assortment of any kind of screw I may need, right in my driver case, in a zip-lock baggie. Any time I have an extra screw(s) left over from whatever I'm doing, I'll just add them to the ones in the bag.

Reason, is many times at work I'm doing something that requires just a couple screws, and many types will work, but I don't want to go hunting for them, so I usually have something that will do the job, right in that plastic baggie.

But what I won't do, is use screws with different heads, if there's a good chance someone else will likely be the one who ends up removing it later one, as in something temporary.

Cuz I can't stand removing 3 screws of one type, then having to dig out a different tip to remove the last one!

I guess it's not only in construction, in which people never think about the person who comes behind them. :hmm
You aren't weird, you just live by the "do it right" motto.

Oh, that's right. Forgot about that. Maybe you can see the project through some day.
If I'd had nuts that fit ANY of the normal height adjuster screws laying around, it would've surely been much easier. But I didn't, and the 2 hardware stores I went to didn't, either. Probably order some and maybe I can get em working in something else, just for funsies.

Hello everyone.
A few words of introduction;
I have been a repair tech full time for 30 years and on the side of a proper job before that. I also work with collectors, insurance and auction houses authenticating vintage and ex rock star gear.
Basically if you have an issue I have more than likely seen it before.
I firmly advocate that there is objectively good and bad in both music (not for this column) and musical instruments and it is far from just opinion. I base what I write on my experience and empirical data if available and have no affiliation with any companies as this would compromise my ability to say what I find and this is why people come to me in the first instance. I also call myself a repair tech not a luthier because I deal mostly with a diagnostic approach to solving peoples problems and not scratch building .

So as the title says;

Ask me anything!
What's your experience with KnE bodies and necks for a parts-caster build ?

:unsure:

Back