Got me a boss Gigcaster cheap…check if you want home/travel solution

AFKAEjay

Roadie
I have been on the fence of getting me an additional small modeling unit I can throw in a gigbag for when I do “sit ins”…and for duo gigs I do once in a while.
I have a Boss GT core on my board…that fits the bill perfectly, but buying a 2nd one feels it reveals my laziness to get it off my board too much..and..a lot of cash for what I use it for.
All other options always missed something…where the poly octaver is the hardest bit.(exclusive to boss) I was close to getting a GT 001…but no AIRD modeling…bit dated unit. I was close to pairing a Hotone mini (seems very nice) with an actual polyoctaver pedal I have laying around.

then…for some reason my eye fell on a black Friday sale…(in the Netherlands)

gigcaster 5 for 235,- from 599,-…took 15 min to decide between that and the 8 version.
These have the latest AIRD & efx from the gt1000 on board…as far as I can tell most, maybe all of it + its a mixer, audio interface with 2 headphone outs, vocal processor..and super small, usb powered.

If you’re looking for home/travel modeling solution..worth checking if they are dumping them in your country also. (Seems to me prices like these only occur when a product isnt successful)

Reactions: JT
At that price; this actually really cool.

I have been on the fence of getting me an additional small modeling unit I can throw in a gigbag for when I do “sit ins”…and for duo gigs I do once in a while.
I have a Boss GT core on my board…that fits the bill perfectly, but buying a 2nd one feels it reveals my laziness to get it off my board too much..and..a lot of cash for what I use it for.
All other options always missed something…where the poly octaver is the hardest bit.(exclusive to boss) I was close to getting a GT 001…but no AIRD modeling…bit dated unit. I was close to pairing a Hotone mini (seems very nice) with an actual polyoctaver pedal I have laying around.

then…for some reason my eye fell on a black Friday sale…(in the Netherlands)

gigcaster 5 for 235,- from 599,-…took 15 min to decide between that and the 8 version.
These have the latest AIRD & efx from the gt1000 on board…as far as I can tell most, maybe all of it + its a mixer, audio interface with 2 headphone outs, vocal processor..and super small, usb powered.

If you’re looking for home/travel modeling solution..worth checking if they are dumping them in your country also. (Seems to me prices like these only occur when a product isnt successful)
How can you control it? Can you use a midi controller or are you bonded to Boss foot controllers?

I was tempted by the price but I also feared it's writing on the wall for the product line, that it wasn't successful.

It seemed like a decent idea, but maybe not finding who it's for.

How can you control it? Can you use a midi controller or are you bonded to Boss foot controllers?
Control options are limited. AFAIK…there’s the foot switch input, which takes 2 switches…or an expression pedal..or the boss controller. It’s not designed for full control.
Im looking at it as Boss efx/modeling for a bargain for situations where you don’t need switching by todays standards.
My aimed usecases…I have time to hit the touchscreen even ;)

In a perfect world it would have taken midi in, would have had aux outputs, an efx loop…but that’s the 600,- GT core…and that doesn’t do the mixing/vocal/interface stuff.

I was tempted by the price but I also feared it's writing on the wall for the product line, that it wasn't successful.

It seemed like a decent idea, but maybe not finding who it's for.
I don’t mind if it gets discontinue…Boss doesn’t update significantly anyway…and it will be a good/small efx unit 10 years from now as it is.

In my mind they overshooted the market with the 32bit + flagship efx…thats for audio/guitar geeks….podcasters is a different breed..for which the 250,- behringer flow will do perfectly fine ;)

But..maybe this crazy discount is meant to get some traction in the market....I mean…I’m posting about it. It’s a nice product….maybe a sale like this is the push it needs…and it will stay in their catalog

Had an hour with it on the couch with a pair of headphones…love it!

Sound dialed in in minutes, my phone paired in seconds to play along with some stuff.

I for see this thing becoming my most used piece of kit.

Study on the couch, jazz gigs, acoustic preamp, duo gigs with a singer where it also be foh mixer, rehearsals…all from this small unit in my gigbag ;)

It’s not perfect..limited switching options, fixed efx chain, limited IO….but great sound/efx quality..and a Match for a lot of simple usecases.

This product should be more popular amongst home players for sure…

Back