A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

Could really do with some IK mouthpieces around here to straighten this out. It really isn't acceptable.
7uu39y.jpg

To his credit, he actually is a very good guitar player and does have a lot of knowledge with the stuff he uses.

But dude is the epitome of someone who pretends to be unbothered by others’ words, only to write an entire dissertation and oral doctoral defense about how much he was unbothered.

The contrast of his neutral camera persona combined with how much things clearly get under his skin makes me suspect he might have a basement full of people who criticized him and are now the fine folks chained to the wall of the wine cellar.

To his credit, he actually is a very good guitar player and does have a lot of knowledge with the stuff he uses.

But dude is the epitome of someone who pretends to be unbothered by others’ words, only to write an entire dissertation and oral doctoral defense about how much he was unbothered.

The contrast of his neutral camera persona combined with how much things clearly get under his skin makes me suspect he might have a basement full of people who criticized him and are now the fine folks chained to the wall of the wine cellar.
absolutely a solid player, and lots of good knowledge and information.

but when he's challenged on some information either being bad, or just plain wrong he REALLY isn't prepared to accept that he might have made a mistake. Not disimilar to a certain company who don't like dealing with measurable scientific facts being presented to them.

just recently he was bigging up the new ToneX update being a big deal, and when his subscribers disagreed and felt like he misjudged their enthusiasm, he basically told them that they are wrong. That sort of situation has happened so many times.

I think a lot of youtube personalities aren't really interested in having any kind of meaningful discussion, which is fine, if a bit disingenuous. Its a job, they are busy. Video topics might be presented as a discussion or inviting comment but its only really to boost youtube metrics. I think some youtube guys can be dismissive or uninterested, but this gentleman gets downright confrontational and butthurt when his mistakes are pointed out to him in a indisputable manner.

just a bad mix of youtube being a bad platform for actual interaction and engagement, and certain personalities being a bad fit for handling social interactions with a range of different people.

Last edited:
@IK Multimedia - Total Studio 4 Max. What is not included?

Hm, ok. If this was coming from a decent company, it'd be an incredible steal. And it still is, even if it's coming from IKMM. Sure, there's some stuff in it you possibly don't want to deal with (like Sampletank and Syntronic, even if there's some nice sounds), but ToneX, Amplitube, Modo Bass, Modo Drums, the Hammond (which is excellent) and their mixing plugins are easily worth the price of admission already.
Regarding VFM, this is easily the best package around atm.

Yeah I saw that, but it doesn't tell you what is not included - for instance, the new Pianoverse plugins.

Well, it's not *that* hard to find out. And they're also not saying you get everything IKMM has on offer. So I think it's at least ok how they're doing it.

Yeah I saw that, but it doesn't tell you what is not included - for instance, the new Pianoverse plugins.
I don't expect them to list everything that's not included. They have a list of included items so I don't really have a problem with it... other than calling it MAX or saying that YOU SAVE $13,802.00 by spending $270, but whatever, marketing.

But looking at it again, it includes Amplitube 5 Max ($300, on sale for $100) and Tonex Max ($300, on sale for $100) + 168 other products for $270? Seems like a great deal but at the same time it sorta cheapens their products, no? Their real worth is like... $270/170=$1.6?

Last edited:
Seems like a great deal but at the same time it cheapens their products...? If I bought those two guitar products then saw this studio deal, I'd feel a bit foolish like I'd been had...?

Well, IK is performing these stunts all the time. Their group buys are even more ridiculous as registering products that you might've gotten as a free addon (or through any other "get it for free while it's hot" sales action) would qualify you to chose from more products - or so. The procedures are incredibly unfathomable (is that the word?), even for people with plenty of IK business experience. They just constantly change something here and something else there.
It's really strange, given common business sense, they should've been bankrupt a long time ago already, either because they pissed off their users or because of all those "ok, we're giving this away for close to nothing" sales.
But for whatever reasons, they're still alive - likely because they still manage to come up with some killer products every now and then.

I don't expect them to list everything that's not included. They have a list of included items so I don't really have a problem with it... other than calling it MAX or saying that YOU SAVE $13,802.00 by spending $270, but whatever, marketing.

But looking at it again, it includes Amplitube 5 Max ($300, on sale for $100) and Tonex Max ($300, on sale for $100) + 168 other products for $270? Seems like a great deal but at the same time it sorta cheapens their products, no? Their real worth is like... $270/170=$1.6?
Its the current plugin-world dilemma (not for all; but for many): "huh, we...kind of have a plug-in for everything. we have optimized/improved as much as we can. the faithful have already bought all of our stuff. How do we keep revenue coming in? Maybe drop prices to reach the Timbuk3s of the world?"

Waves is the OG of "everythings on sale all the time but in convoluted ways!!" Universal Audio plugins are deeply discounted a loooooot more regularly now than they used to.

And then Neural DSP is just all about "hey, we might already have a plug-in for everything...but Crest Toothpaste didn't become the brand they are by only offering everything to their customers! We still haven't combined pro-health, with pro-active, with tartar control, without sensitive, with baking soda, in gel format, mint flavor AND A SCREW ON CAP yet!!!!!"

Crest Toothpaste didn't become the brand they are by only offering everything to their customers! We still haven't combined pro-health, with pro-active, with tartar control, without sensitive, with baking soda, in gel format, mint flavor AND A SCREW ON CAP yet!!!!!"
WHY DON’T THEY SELL CREST MAX, WHO WOULDN'T WANT ALL THE HEALTH, ACTIVE, TATAR CONTROL, ETC., THAT’S WHAT I WANNA KNOW

oh that's your point

Back