A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

InMusic has successfully butchered plenty of companies.
I mean.... no. Not really. You can quibble all you want, but as someone on the inside, things look very different from my perspective. People still have jobs and careers thanks to inMusic, and that pretty much flies in the face of any claims about butchering companies.

Some of them aren't delivering (yet) what potential customers want. Some customers are just noisy people who spend more time on forums than they do making music (present company excluded!) and just want to whinge about every little thing.

Most people are just getting on with it, and across the board this company has more talent and love for the industry in a single metaphorical pinky, than the entirety of companies like ROLI.

I mean.... no. Not really. You can quibble all you want, but as someone on the inside, things look very different from my perspective. People still have jobs and careers thanks to inMusic, and that pretty much flies in the face of any claims about butchering companies.

Perhaps - from a company perspective. From a user POV, they're shite. Look at AKAI, Alesis, M-Audio and what not. Cheapest quality with no ambitions. And all of them have been doing quite some decent stuff before InMusic aquired them.

Some customers are just noisy people who spend more time on forums than they do making music (present company excluded!)
IMG_1124.gif

@IK Multimedia I also fell for the same promo a few months ago just to find out I didn't get the MESA 2 and others that at that time was NOT clearly stated they where not included, even when in the past MAX meant everything.

Today I find out you guys now have Amplitube MAX V2, that included all those things but at an upgrade upcharge of $149.99....

I don't feel like giving my money to you guys right now for that, we previos "v1" max owners should have a better upgrade deal.

So is this how manufactures respond to criticism these days?

Absolutely. Between @Orvillain's shitty recent experience as a long standing customer, the confusing website and the software issues I encountered when trialling Tonex means I wouldn't buy from them either.

Snarky responses from a company are totally fine when they're warranted but in this case it's just going to alienate other potential customers with zero gains for anyone.

Snarky responses from a company are totally fine when they're warranted but in this case it's just going to alienate other potential customers with zero gains for anyone.
Another example why I will no longer be giving this company my money. It’s hard to believe that a company such as IK Multimedia would encourage their social media guy to act so snarky and sarcastic. Very unprofessional IMO.

Another example why I will no longer be giving this company my money. It’s hard to believe that a company such as IK Multimedia would encourage their social media guy to act so snarky and sarcastic. Very unprofessional IMO.
:popcorn

I’m just going to shout this out into the vastness of the internet. Pretty sure no one asked and no one cares.

IK makes some pretty good products. Total studio Max is an incredible value.

Marketing and support as well as their installer and whole vibe of the ecosystem could use much improvement.

IK will forever get the kudos of telling the "forum experts" to go suck on an egg with their idiotic claims and finally had the balls to put out the harmonizer plug that all the others were scared to. Shaking like little weenies, so "well informed" by all the forum "experts" how eventide had some sort of patent on the thousands of year old practice of adding notes to notes.

I tend to cut them a LOT of slack as it really opened the floodgates to start getting some basic DSP into the plugin world, but yeah, they do some crazy item mall microtransaction crappioca

The snark I can handle. But this...

Sorry, that isn't snark. That is being a twunt, and SPECTACULARLY missing the entire point.

RE Amplitube: If I upgrade to Max v2, I would have given you $340 in the space of 4 months, where other AT4 owners would've only given you half that.

No grace period on my Max v1 purchase, which was a little less than a month before v2 was announced. Shitty business practices, shitty politics.

So no... it's not about the singular instance of a $49.99 price. It's about the entire messaging. I don't give a single solitary flying fvck about the money. I'm about to go and give £140 to a company who don't treat their customers like hanging sacks of idiot meat.

Last edited:
The snark I can handle. But this...

Sorry, that isn't snark. That is being a twunt, and SPECTACULARLY missing the entire point.

RE Amplitube: If I upgrade to Max v2, I would have given you $340 in the space of 4 months, where other AT4 owners would've only given you half that.

No grace period on my Max v1 purchase, which was a little less than a month before v2 was announced. sh*tty business practices, sh*tty politics.

So no... it's about the singular instance of a $49.99 price. It's about the entire messaging. I don't give a single solitary flying fvck about the money. I'm about to go and give £140 to a company who don't treat their customers like hanging sacks of idiot meat.
I just dont understand the pricing in the plugin world and it’s not just IK by a longshot.

I bought total studio 3.5 for I think 299 bucks. Upgraded to V4 to get the drums and basses mostly. With that I got the Amplitube super duper everything bla bla bla. What portion of that was my 299 dollars? 20 bucks? Could have been zero dollars, I don’t use it so to me it doesnt matter. I do see a lot of value in the “all in” bundles from IK, NI, UAD etc because it gets tools I’ll probably end up exploring at some point down to their lowest price point. I found my invoice in an email the other day for Guitar Rig 2. I think it dated back to 2006.

299 dollars. And that is in 2006 dollars. I just paid 299 for a zillion times the value here, and come to think of it what I paid for NI’s Komplete was also incredible in comparison.

I just wish upgrade paths, deals, sales, marketing and definitely support were a little better with IK. Things aren’t abundantly clear and you need to go digging for answers.

odd way to encourage people to spend money, but that’s just how Peter rolls.

It’s an excellent deal if you like stuff that still doesn’t report delay compensation correctly across all sample rates and DAW’s. Amplitube is buggy as shit too atm. I like IK’s products a lot but as with anything that appears too good to be true, there’s always a catch.

Back