5153 white vs gold vs black

Keep reading about people doing immediate tube swaps to tame the excessive gain. Think maybe the amp's not for me.
Ever since getting the LP clone I'm backing off gain with everything.
I did put a 5751 in V1. Reduces the gain just a bit which I found desirable. 🤷🏾‍♂️

5153 is the ultimate high gain gigging amp imo. I have the plain Jane 6L6 version and I love it

F97661C2-59ED-4044-B639-485864F2F99F.jpeg

I've already forgotten if it was the subway blues or subway rocket, belonged to the band we were playing with but it sounded absolutely fantastic. Dude was making it sing

You can tell by the knobs it's the Blues. Cranked with humbuckers those things were early Santana all the way. Super creamy goodness.

Your not helping the wait to get the models in my FM9
I have a feeling blue and red might become staples
Just out of curiosity does the Stealth have some Bogner tone in there albeit tighter ?

I would say not at all. It is a different sounding amp than the Bogner stuff.

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t be looking for any Bogner territory in an EVH. Bogner departs from the Marshall territory with the lack of immediacy in the notes, hard to explain with words, but my Shiva isn’t nearly as “WHAM RIGHT IN YOUR FACE” as any Marshall I’ve ever played, there’s a sag to it. The EVH is closer to Marshall in that regard, but still something very different.

One other thing to consider with the EVH's: they're built like tanks and will take a beating.

One other thing to consider with the EVH's: they're built like tanks and will take a beating.
Inhave to add some caution here. Had to have my tube socket reflowed with leaded solder as they failed. The was while sitting in storage. Climate controlled. This was the 50 watt El.

hmm, not sure I'd go that far. They use some pretty cheap ass capacitors and components, which do the job but I wouldn't say are good quality or long lasting and WILL need replacement sooner than good ones would. They are also a bit of a pain to service because removing and lifting the huge boards involves taking off all the pots. Tech's will probably change a higher rate just because removing the board is agg.

They're not badly built, but they're definitely made to a cost (wise move because they are basically like a "standard" now for a lot of bands).

Back