5153 white vs gold vs black

Re: C137 mod.

I've read about this across a number of boards. Hasn't the brand caught wind of the mod as something they should do stock???

Just seems weird to buy such an iconic amp from an iconic brand and out of the box a channel 'sounds like mush' unless you attack
it with wire cutters.

Are there people out there that LOVE the EL34 version stock?!?!?!?
For Down tunes haha

Are there people out there that LOVE the EL34 version stock?!?!?!?
The rare comments on ye olde YouTube who say they prefer the blue channel pre snip say it captures EVH brown tone and early tone.

I think they have a point but I bought the 5153 for metalcore 😂

I'd be looking at Marshall, splawn, ceriatone, etc if I wanted something along those lines. But that's just me

To summarize. If you want to sound like early EVH, do not buy his signature amp from his signature company.

(y)

o_O
I'd argue it still doesn't sound like early VH. It's very mushy and no definition.

It doesn't sound like a Plexi at all (which is what I think of for early vh)

To summarize. If you want to sound like early EVH, do not buy his signature amp from his signature company.

(y)

o_O

I think the funniest thing about the whole EVH tone chasing thing is that Ed didn’t even want to sound like his early sound and spent his entire career moving further away from it. At best he stripped back the wet effects towards the end, but he was far more gained up than he ever got close to in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

The 5150 sounds nothing like early Ed, either. It was never his intent to build an amp that did that.

I think the funniest thing about the whole EVH tone chasing thing is that Ed didn’t even want to sound like his early sound and spent his entire career moving further away from it. At best he stripped back the wet effects towards the end, but he was far more gained up than he ever got close to in the late 70’s/early 80’s.

The 5150 sounds nothing like early Ed, either. It was never his intent to build an amp that did that.

Exhibit A that proves once and for all that even legends can be wrong. :LOL:

It was his Michael Jordan is going to play Baseball moment. :bonk :unsure: :rofl

just did this today with my EL34 50w. i did do the c137 mod, its one track blue gain maxed and a red with the gain about 930. guitar is my godin redline with a 81 and my 1960a cab. not sure i really love this thing yet but it does record pretty easy.

Last edited:
Back