5153 white vs gold vs black

Achilles

Rock Star
I've read all the specs and know the differences in tubes but what's really the lowdown between these?

1704595883761.png
1704595905546.png
1704595937767.png

Is it mostly cosmetics and very subtle tone differences or is there more to it than that?
Stealth gets the most raves but I guess I'm not sure why.

There are a few different models
The original 5153 50 watt although it had resonance controls was not a stealth

The 50 watt Blacked out / gold are both stealth. Preamps with one being EL34 loaded and one 6l6
The differences between the
Gold (el34) and all black (6l6)
Is the gold green is cleaner
The gold blue is lower gain and slightly different voice
The gold red is very good and pretty much the same as the 6l6

IMO if you are just looking at 50 watters the Blacked out 6l6 has the best blue/ red channels

If you're talking the 50 waters, the EL34 green channel seemed a TEENY bit more pristine and sparkly than the 6L6. But they were basically identical.

Red channels are also basically identical. The blue channels bass response is totally different. Like many have said, EL34 is looser. Not always a bad thing. I did prefer 6L6 blue channel, but once you put a boost in front of both, I preferred the EL34.

not just different valves, different circuit changes too. 50W 6L6 is different to the 100W 6L6 (for instance).

The circuit constantly evolved so each time a new model came out it might have some small tweaks. Usually they’re small but for instance the Stealth changed some aspects of the circuit quite a bit (extra gain, changing the voicing a bit).

I didn't like the EL34S 100-watter that I had. Far too aggressive sounding, and the cleans were a bit poo.

I really liked the 50-watt original that I used to own, apart from the volume jump issue between channel 1 and 2; because they're the same channel under the hood. But they added the concentric pots later on, which I imagine solve that issue.

Never played a 6L6 Stealth.

not just different valves, different circuit changes too. 50W 6L6 is different to the 100W 6L6 (for instance).

The circuit constantly evolved so each time a new model came out it might have some small tweaks. Usually they’re small but for instance the Stealth changed some aspects of the circuit quite a bit (extra gain, changing the voicing a bit).
Yeah I have both the 50 and 100w 6L6. The blue channel is really not too gainy at all on the 100. Very classic rock, won't go too far beyond that tho. The 50w blue gets pretty saturated, and will do the 80s metal thing all day.

Red channel on the 50 becomes absurdly compressed and saturated at like 10:00 o clock on the gain knob. The red channel on the 100 I found to have far more usability and versatility in it's range.

All three 50s are great and I had them all at the same time and compared them.

The 6L6 and Stealth are similar though the 6L6 blue has a slightly different voice. It's my favorite single channel in the 50w line.

The EL34 blue is significantly different. The C137 mod apparently makes it more in line with the other amps; I never did this mod myself.

All three have awesome red channels IMO.

The Stealth has more clarity than the 6L6...I can't remember the clarity on the EL34 as I kept kinda getting stuck on the blue channel being so different.

All of them have more gain than I needed or wanted so I like to put a 5771 preamp tube in V1.

All green channels are good with the EL34 having the cleanest and the Stealth having the most gain (though it's close--closer than the 100w versions I think).

You spelled Badlander wrong :hmm:ROFLMAO:
Badlander got hype at announcement then some pushback a bit after release and now I'm hearing a lot of praise. Interesting. I wanted one originally and even had one on preorder but canceled that and never revisited it.

White or Black?????
To be clear, there is an "Ivory" and a "black" version of the 6L6. They are both the exact same amps, it's just different color options.

The designation i think you're looking for is the "stealth", which is the amp that is also black but has some slight changes to the circuit.

EDIT: Just realized you were probably referring to the faceplate color.

Back