2024 - What’s your interface thread

Still rocking the Apollos but don’t buy them. They’re old news already. Better 2024 choices.

Been using Apollos for a decade.
Started with an Apollo 16,
These days laptop has a twin, iMac has a twin x extended with adat for 10 channels simultaneously. and iPad has a volt

Black Lion Audio Revolution 2x2. Well buildt, sounds good. Plus for pot for direct input/DAW monitoring, hate it when you have to use mixer software to control that. Very good headphone amp

1706504155407.png

Same Scarlett 18i20 I've had for the last 7 years. Holds connection to the control software by an ass hair and looses it whenever it knows my HX Stomp is in the room. Other than software connection issues it's been rock solid and useful.

I've got the Presonus Quantum, with an Antelope Audio Discrete 8 connected to it using ADAT and BNC work-clock. It is pretty great tbh. But I am curious about getting an RME UFXII this year, so I can build a portable rig with latency-free monitoring.

The Quantum is very good. But not being able to monitor the inputs without using the DAW, is just a bit wank. I am pretty alright with running a separate mixing amp to get DAW-less monitoring, and then just treating the DAW like a tape machine.

RME Fireface UCX. FACT INCOMING: it's the best in its class!

I’m having some unacceptable issues with my PreSonus 1810c right now and am looking to replace it soon. Inputs 1 and 2 have developed pretty bad distortion clipping even when the input gain is below -15dB, and input 3 has flat-out died. This unit is only 2 years old and I’m going to RMA it, but I’m considering moving onto something else.

I’m personally looking for something similar, 4-6 inputs, line out, MIDI out. Right now my first option I’m considering is the Audient Evo 16, but it’s too bad it doesn’t have MIDI out, as I usually use Reaper MIDI send to change channels on my amp as I play.

I’d also consider the SSL12, and it probably sounds the best in the under $1000 price range, but I’d rather have one I can throw in a rack rather than one that sits on the desk.

The Motu Ultralite is a possibility too as I am familiar with the brand from years ago when I had one of the FireWire interfaces.

So what would you suggest? What are you using now?
I wouldn't worry too much about the audio interface having MIDI unless your computer is really short on USB ports. Cheap and good MIDI interfaces can be found for $20 that are barely bigger than the cables themselves.

Using (and loving) this, but the channel count is primarily for analog summing:
1706632388963.png

Their support was dogshit in my experience as well.
I’m not getting terribly far with PreSonus right now about my hosed 1810c, but we’ll see. I did get the new MOTU board in and so far I’m very pleased with it. The bundled software is somewhat weak though and more aligned to pop music with the loops and everything, but I didn’t really need any new software.

UA Apollo 6x

The good news with UA and their plugin "eco-system" (which many have complained about) is they have been making Native versions of their plugins.

There's a bunch out that have been "Native-ized", with more to come I'm sure.

For example (from my own stash):

1176 Rev A, AE, LN
API 2500
API Vision Channel Strip
Brigade Chorus
Century Tube Channel Strip
dbx 160
Empirical Labs Distressor
Galaxy Tape Echo
LA-2, 2A Gray, 2A Silver
Lexicon 224
Manley Massive Passive