2024 - What’s your interface thread

Desertdweller

Roadie
I’m having some unacceptable issues with my PreSonus 1810c right now and am looking to replace it soon. Inputs 1 and 2 have developed pretty bad distortion clipping even when the input gain is below -15dB, and input 3 has flat-out died. This unit is only 2 years old and I’m going to RMA it, but I’m considering moving onto something else.

I’m personally looking for something similar, 4-6 inputs, line out, MIDI out. Right now my first option I’m considering is the Audient Evo 16, but it’s too bad it doesn’t have MIDI out, as I usually use Reaper MIDI send to change channels on my amp as I play.

I’d also consider the SSL12, and it probably sounds the best in the under $1000 price range, but I’d rather have one I can throw in a rack rather than one that sits on the desk.

The Motu Ultralite is a possibility too as I am familiar with the brand from years ago when I had one of the FireWire interfaces.

So what would you suggest? What are you using now?

I bought this one below about two years ago. I had to replace a bunch of my recording stuff at that time. I decided to spend the money and get something that would last me for a good while. RME is great about putting out drivers for their older gear. The price on this has gone up about $200 since I bought mine. This thing is a beast and does way more than I need but I really like it.

Last edited:
Focusrite scarlet 18i8 second gen. It's not been the most stable unit with windows, but it's been decent with Mac.

It only has 4 mic inputs, but I don't own a single mic anyway, plus it has midi and spdif which was perfect for me when using my kemper or old axe FX std which only had midi for their editor. It's probably overkill for my needs nowadays, but they don't make many smaller units with spdif.

RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE
UAD Apollo

I also have a Volt 1 for something portable/ipad compatible/fun. RME is well worth it. Honestly stuff like Lynx and Prism are worth it if you want to go all out but RME is comparable at a lower price.

On the lower end of the spectrum, I wouldn’t put much emphasis on the difference between units and I’d focus more on what other freebies are thrown in. I basically bought the Volt because they had a promo running that included some plugins I wanted, and it was cheaper to get them with the volt. All much of a muchness between them, focusrite, audient etc to me.

Based on your needs, I think the Motu Ultralite mentioned would be a solid unit.
It's got the midi, optical and spdif. Price is good too.

edit: and it has built-in dsp for using CueMix software.

PreSonus Studio1824C

presonus-studio_1824c.png

Last edited:
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.

I honestly would like something better. At least one more mic preamp, or alternatively a separate hi-Z input so I can run two mics at the same time.

But finding something that has everything is surprisingly difficult:
  • 2-4 mic pres
  • At least 2 line inputs
  • 4 line outputs
  • Two headphone amps
  • Hi-Z input
  • MIDI I/O
  • SPDIF I/O
  • Solid drivers for Mac and Win
  • Compact
Even if I compromise on say having MIDI I/O, the next thing that is not guaranteed is SPDIF.

Either Tascam US2x2 or my Maschine Mk3 depending on what I'm doing

Also had an Audient iD14 but I gave it to a buddy who was wanting to get in to recording

I think I’m going to snag the MOTU M6. It seems to check all the boxes for me. Low latency, 4 quality mic preamps, Line I/O for outboard effects and re-amping, MIDI I/O, graphical front meters, USB C, and 2 headphone jacks.

1706291550872.png

And a big knob. I like big knobs.

I feel like this fits my needs better than the Ultralite MK5. I used to have a FireWire MK3 and thought it was great, so I definitely have no concerns about MOTU quality going into this. I could be talked out of it though if there’s a better option out there. I saw there were some conces with the M2 and M4 when they came out about some crashes/locks, but it appears they all received firmware updates in September that seems to have rectified any of these issues with this line, but we’ll see.

It turns out that 2024 is close enough to 2204 that every time I see this thread title in the corner of my eye I wonder why you specifically only want to hear about interfaces from users of classic Marshall amps :facepalm

Now a useful answer; I don't think I'd buy another Audient interface, they tend to break after a few years, based on my own experience and what I've seen on forums and Facebook groups. Sure, they're not expensive but it's still annoying when they don't last.

I pulled the trigger and replaced my Motu M4 with RME Fireface UCX2. Motu was fine but RME is far superior to my ears with more to offer.

RME Advantages:
  1. Sound quality & latency (I use its monitoring and latency seems to be very very low, SPDIF to FM3 is excellent)
  2. Plenty of inputs/outputs
  3. Long support & Drivers stability
  4. Total Mix (was a bit hard to be used to it when I started, but now I really enjoy it a lot) + it has EQ + Compressor if needed
  5. Compact form factor
Cons:
  1. another power brick to power the unit
  2. It is really pricey (So I used my Sweetwater card with low monthly payments)
I also considered Motu Ultralight MK5, but decided to go with something superior. Also one of my consideration was latency. Motu M series is very fast, however Ultralight is not on par with it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 08.15.52.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 08.15.52.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
I think I’m going to snag the MOTU M6. It seems to check all the boxes for me. Low latency, 4 quality mic preamps, Line I/O for outboard effects and re-amping, MIDI I/O, graphical front meters, USB C, and 2 headphone jacks.

View attachment 17895

And a big knob. I like big knobs.

I feel like this fits my needs better than the Ultralite MK5. I used to have a FireWire MK3 and thought it was great, so I definitely have no concerns about MOTU quality going into this. I could be talked out of it though if there’s a better option out there. I saw there were some conces with the M2 and M4 when they came out about some crashes/locks, but it appears they all received firmware updates in September that seems to have rectified any of these issues with this line, but we’ll see.
Good choice. I have an M4 and it's been rock solid. Very fast and high quality A/D conversion. Price is really good on this M line.

Back