2024 Do Something Challenge - Season One - Week Four

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
QkC7ZHC.jpeg

Welcome to 2024 Do Something Challenge - Season One - Week FOUR!
Before we get started, I want to take a minute and be real here: It's hard to keep one-upping the humor factor in this challenge and quite frankly, I have an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one. To make matters worse, Sundays are always a little sad, because the day before is a sadder day. In order to overcome this, I've been thinking about taking up meditation - figure it's better than sitting around doing nothing. This week, I was going to tell a time-traveling joke, but you guys didn’t like it. So, I thought about sharing a construction joke, but I’m still working on it. You might also find this surprising, but I have to confess, I have a Police record. Synchronicity II is my favorite track.

Anyway...

Here's the tally so far:

@PLX - 9
@Iron1 - 5
@LiveeviL2000 - 4
@Whizzinby - 4
@DrewJD82 - 3
@FuzzyAce - 5
@Alex Kenivel - 2
@Sleezy E - I
@T Gobbs - 15!!!
@Moondog Wily - 3
@TJontheRoad - 3
@aldunk - 5
@megametal7 - I
@JiveTurkey - 2
@mbenigni - 2
@joezlo - 1
@SKU - 1

**BANDMATE CHALLENGE ENTRY
@Iron1 - 2
@LiveeviL2000 - I
@FuzzyAce - I
@PLX - 2
@aldunk - 1
@megametal7 - 1

That's 71 pieces of music that didn't exist prior to this challenge! WAY TO GO!!!

When I was young I wanted to play the guitar really badly, now that I'm old I can play - really, really badly.
If you haven't figured it out by now, this week's "theme" is Dad Jokes. Find a way to put a dad joke in your track, the more cleverly groan-inspiring the better. Speaking of, did you hear about the broken guitar for sale? It comes with no strings attached. I met a hot chick at a concert last night and asked her to call me when she made it home. She must be homeless...

Congrats to all who have participated already!
For all the rules, reasons why a bad sausage is the wurst, why you should tune all the strings on your 7 to C so you can play pirate music, why "RMA" are the worst letters in the alphabet, just what happened to our new DJ Boomhauer and more, please refer to the Week One thread.

Last edited:
Bought myself a back-up bass a few months ago that I love, but it has a preamp issue that causes the sound to cut out randomly. Will work fine for weeks, then suddenly it won't. In my hunt for a donor bass to steal a preamp from, I got a smoking deal on an Ibanez SR300 yesterday that's just about mint. So, not sure if I'm gonna use it for parts for the other one or keep as is...

But, figured I'd put it through its paces this morning before heading to band practice this afternoon.

Meanwhile:

What's the difference between a bass player and a large pizza?​

A pizza can feed a family of four.

Last edited:
Bought myself a back-up bass a few months ago that I love, but it has a preamp issue that causes the sound to cut out randomly. Will work fine for weeks, then suddenly it won't. In my hunt for a donor bass to steal a preamp from, I got a smoking deal on an Ibanez SR300 yesterday that's just about mint. So, not sure if I'm gonna use it for parts for the other one or keep as is...

But, figured I'd put it through its paces this morning before heading to band practice this afternoon.

Meanwhile:

What's the difference between a bass player and a large pizza?​

A pizza can feed a family of four.

Awesome Iron!
I've always loved your dirty, nasty bass sound.
Ice T No GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Here's a new studio track called, "Drawn To Lengths". Sort of ambient rock or something like that :)

Gear used in production;
Schecter Guitars C-1, Fender MLB Strat, Fractal Audio FM9, ExpressiveE Osmose, Arturia MatrixBrute, Arturia PolyBrute, Arturia Pigments, Arturia Arp 2600 V, Arturia Efx Motions, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Roland Fantom EX, Majella Audio Implexus, Eowave Quadratic Storm, Soma Lyra-8, Eventide H90, Hologram Electronics Microcosm, Moog Subharmonicon, Studio Electronics SE-3X, 4ms Ensemble Oscillator, Neuzeit Instruments Quasar.

Work in progress: Steve Morse Band - Ghostwind.

Dad joke? How about the oldest in the world:

"Pull my finger"

I used this for the clean rhythms and solos:

View attachment 18251

Nice tones.(y) Love the Sustainor module. An old friend had one in his studio.
Hit me up if you ever wanna unload it. :grin

Here's a new studio track called, "Drawn To Lengths". Sort of ambient rock or something like that :)

Gear used in production;
Schecter Guitars C-1, Fender MLB Strat, Fractal Audio FM9, ExpressiveE Osmose, Arturia MatrixBrute, Arturia PolyBrute, Arturia Pigments, Arturia Arp 2600 V, Arturia Efx Motions, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Roland Fantom EX, Majella Audio Implexus, Eowave Quadratic Storm, Soma Lyra-8, Eventide H90, Hologram Electronics Microcosm, Moog Subharmonicon, Studio Electronics SE-3X, 4ms Ensemble Oscillator, Neuzeit Instruments Quasar.

Very nice TJ, enjoyed that.

Stayed up late to put down an idea. I used some snippets from The War of the Worlds broadcast from 1938, Orson Welles.
I could see spending more time on it, but gonna be out of town some this week. Used Helix Native for the guitars. Bass and synths were played on a midi keyboard using Studio One instruments. SD3 drums.

Work in progress: Steve Morse Band - Ghostwind.

Dad joke? How about the oldest in the world:

"Pull my finger"

I used this for the clean rhythms and solos:

View attachment 18251

And this for the short doubled lead lines:

View attachment 18252

Might be the best clean tone I've ever heard from anything with "Rockman" on it. But, my brain still defaults to the little Walkman-esque handheld modeler of the 90s. Great playing, keep 'em coming!

Gear used in production;

Dig it. The guitar adds a lot of texture and contrast to the synth work.
Stayed up late to put down an idea. I used some snippets from The War of the Worlds broadcast from 1938, Orson Welles.
I could see spending more time on it, but gonna be out of town some this week. Used Helix Native for the guitars. Bass and synths were played on a midi keyboard using Studio One instruments. SD3 drums.

Saw that title and thought we were gonna get SouthOfFuzzy/FuzzAwaits/FuzzingTheChapel era thrash metal. Guess you're not quite ready to show the fine folks of TGF that side of your past just yet... well, while we all sit in the antechamber of Fuzzdome, this entry makes a great opening act.

Gear used in production;

Now on this one, the spiral stutter movement and it's shifting I thought went really well with this material! I did feel like I was being subjected to a mind control experiment!! Are you a secret agent with the MK Ultra program? Good stuff, thanks for sharing!!

Some post-punk/80s alternative-ish guitar noodling with a hastily cobbled together backing track and some low-effort synthesizer thrown in.

MIM Mustang with a Duncan '59, HX Stomp, EZ Drummer 3, EZ Bass, Arturia Prophet 5-V.

Sounds cool, and catchy. Welcome to TGF!

Some post-punk/80s alternative-ish guitar noodling with a hastily cobbled together backing track and some low-effort synthesizer thrown in.

MIM Mustang with a Duncan '59, HX Stomp, EZ Drummer 3, EZ Bass, Arturia Prophet 5-V.

I dig it. Reminds me of Flock of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song.

Here's the vid with a killer Jennifer Connelly:

Bandmate Challenge Entry (Myself & PLX):

I Am Mephistopheles (Now With 66.6% More Evil)

Inspiration: Every corny "evil" thing that's ever been recorded, satanic panic in the 80's, chugs, old SNL, Jon Lovitz, the chipmunks, Insidious movie soundtrack, "Black Sabbath" and German expressionist and minimalist styles.

Credits:

Mephistopheles' Evil Guitar Solo: PLX

Evil Rhythm Guitars, Evil Drums, Evil Bass, Evil Sound FX, Evil Mixing: Me

Mephistopheles' Evil Voices: Mephistopheles (and his Evil Toadies)

Evil Pinchie Squealies: Little Demons

Evil Dive Bombs: Little Demons

Evil Pick Scrapes: Little Demons

Last edited:
Bandmate Challenge Entry (Myself & PLX):

I Am Mephistopheles (Now With 66.6% More Evil)

Inspiration: Every corny "evil" thing that's ever been recorded, satanic panic in the 80's, chugs, old SNL, Jon Lovitz, the chipmunks, Insidious movie soundtrack, "Black Sabbath" and German expressionist and minimalist styles.

Credits:

Mephistopheles' Evil Guitar Solo: PLX

Evil Rhythm Guitars, Evil Drums, Evil Bass, Evil Sound FX, Evil Mixing: Me

Mephistopheles' Evil Voices: Mephistopheles (and his Evil Toadies)

Evil Pinchie Squealies: Little Demons

Evil Dive Bombs: Little Demons

Evil Pick Scrapes: Little Demons

giphy.gif

Back