2024 Do Something Challenge- Season One- Week Three

Friday night I couldn't handle hearing that song from last week one more time, that's the song I learned about demo-itis on originally. I was anxious to start something from scratch, I figure that's the best way to see how well my ears have adjusted to the speakers. But I really wanted to start from scratch, like no presets for any drums or mixing stuff. So I grabbed a chorus idea from the ideas folder and wrote a song around it Fri/Sat and have been fucking with it since.

I set up the Logic session with all the raw drums routed to their own tracks and did up the EQ/compression/reverb in Logic, just using the SSLChannel/CLA/DBX compressors, no presets within the plug-ins, I wanted to treat it as close as I could to being in a studio with a console and a few pieces of outboard gear. This isn't so much an exercise in "Can I make this sound good, but can I make this sound how I want it to sound?"
Same thing with the master bus, just EQ, compression and a limiter without using any presets. Eventually I want to own the hardware versions of this stuff.

There's a lot of scratch guitars on this, I've slowly been tweaking the tones and re-recording parts ot the song to see how the changes I'm making turn out while keeping a 'control' in place.

Question for you all; where does this land on your muffled/bright scale? Not just the guitars, but the mix overall.

I don't want to say which way I'm leaning on it, but I will not find any answers offensive. :ROFLMAO:

That's all the Orville, probably 90% of it is the Jose 6CA7 I made in the AxefX, with a Friedman BE in a few spots.

I like it a lot! Really dig that solo about 2/3rds in!! As for muffled/bright scale, I think it is good there but I could use a little more kick drum, but that could just be my headphones and preferences that is making me feel that way. Good job, clean and tight!!

OK, thanks. I found that distracting because the song was flowing so smooth. But that is just me, I get it and you go with it!! I love how reversing the black/white makes every video look scary ;~))

It's like driving at night in city traffic, but there's woods instead ;)

Quite the diversity of material for Week three (just listened to them)! I dig it!! Thanks for all the contributions, when I get released from my cage in hell, I will post something ;~)) Rock on!

There used to be a killer Looper guy around here about 10-12 years ago, not sure what happened to him, but he was so far down the Looper rabbit hole it was mind-blowing.
Andre LaFosse, maybe? At TOP?

Back