Y'seen the Pedaltrain XD-24??

Ohhh sorry dude, I totally missed this the first time around.

If you take out amp channel changes, these are the various combinations I use:
View attachment 18846

Thanks for following up, I was still curious. I misunderstood on the delay stuff. I thought because you didn’t care for the helix delays you weren’t using them. You’re actually using them quite a lot along with your outboard delays.

I bet there’s some interesting sounds in there. You’re making me think I need to get back into deep diving delays. I’ve gotten into a bit of a rut with the bread and butter sounds that I use most of the time (2 different serial delay patterns that cover 90% of my needs). I like those sounds, but I need some special stuff for cool parts to make things more engaging. I’m getting a little bored lately.

D

I thought because you didn’t care for the helix delays you weren’t using them. You’re actually using them quite a lot along with your outboard delays.
Yeah I'm actually chiefly using wah, delay, and reverb, for the vast majority of my tones. With the occasional "special effect" throw in.

Sorry, couldn't resist:

“Reverend @Orvillain & The Inspirational Interfaces Choir”

IMG_3028.jpeg

The sheer size of that!
(I know, that's what sh...) 😁

Put two of them next to each other (populated, of course) and you're almost Omar Rodriguez-Lopez level crazy.

It aint that big actually. I think it is only 3 inches deeper than the Novo24. But it means I can have 3 rows effectively, the G3 at the front and then... well.. you've seen the layout.

Everything clocks off the Micro Clock, including the DD-8. The G3 brings things in and out of the loops, switches the midi capable pedals, and also changes the amp channels using the remote output jacks.

The only whack thing right now is, I can't make the Meris MercuryX ignore midi-clock, which defines the predelay time. So I need to unplug it from the midi chain until they fix that. Boooooo.

The only whack thing right now is, I can't make the Meris MercuryX ignore midi-clock, which defines the predelay time. So I need to unplug it from the midi chain until they fix that. Boooooo.
Not trying to troll, just curious:

Is the workflow with the Meris pedals really more conducive to “dialing up an inspiring sound in a jam”? The videos make it look..a lot like the same trade offs as all-in-one units. I.e., not the quickest tool in the shed, but possibly the deepest.

Not trying to troll, just curious:

Is the workflow with the Meris pedals really more conducive to “dialing up an inspiring sound in a jam”? The videos make it look..a lot like the same trade offs as all-in-one units. I.e., not the quickest tool in the shed, but possibly the deepest.
Don't worry man, I know you're not trolling.

So yeah... TLDR version - once you spend some time with them, they become very easy to use, and depending on how your brain compartmentalises things (or not) I personally feel that I can dig into one of them for a few minutes, get a cool sound, save it as a preset, and then not really have to touch it again.

For a bit more detail... well.... it might looking daunting, but put it into text mode and focus on a few things:

1. You can always press the PRESET/PAGES knob, to switch between "editing" and "top view", which is where your knobs represent what they say under them. This makes it very fast to switch between editing something deeper, and a top level mix control... which is quite often the thing you need to adjust when tweaking deeper things like compressors and preamps and gain-stage stuff like that.

2. You can scroll through the deep editing pages, paying closing attention to the centre display where it shows you what you're editing. This means skipping sections of the signal chain/editing parameters is really easy, and fast. This has become second nature to me now, and if I want to get from the "top view" to the "modifiers" section, I can do it very very quickly.

3. With your modifiers the "max value" at 100% is always linked to the value of the parameters that you've set. So programming in an expression pedal to go between two values is really really simple, and often enough you only ever need to tweak the minimum value in the modifier.

4. For your typical usage, you can ignore a good chunk of the deeper pages. You can ignore all of the modifier pages, which means as soon as you hit one, just scroll in the other direction. You can ignore a lot of the effect sections as well, depending on what you're after. That means if you're looking to dial in an extremely tasty ambient reverb, or even a typical bit of Hall or Plate... you only need to use 1-3 pages tops. So the editing experience in the vast majority of cases isn't any more complex than say a Source Audio Nemesis or Ventris only using the front panel controls.

Genuinely... these pedals really are not instant gratification. BUT... once you get your head around them and turn that stupid bubbles mode off... they become really intuitive. And honestly, I'd say otherwise - just like I have with other bits of kit I have. This isn't really honeymoon gushing, I genuinely think these pedals are amazing.

The GigRig G3 is more tricky to use.

I don't discount the possibility of using my Axe FX III for effects only live. I've got it setup to do it. I also don't discount the possibility of throwing these Meris pedals into the loops on Helix Floor, and using that. Part of the reason I got the XD24 too.

But right now..... this setup is feeling extremely fun and reasonably instant gratification.

Back