Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Soldano SLO

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
i still dont know what the definitive SLO album is :idk its the most overrated amp ever

Not to mention it wasn't really around in the prime of the 80s. First prominent users and
recorded tones are EVH on F.U.C.K in 1991 and George Lynch on the 1st Lynch Mob album
in 1990.

Not sure the extent to which Lukather would have used on one sessions in the late 80s. :idk

Rectifier didn't come out until 1992, so not sure how authentically 80's that could get.

Of course, we have time machine pedals now so it doesn't much matter, does it?

JCM800 boosted with a SD-1 for classic 80’s. Swap the SD-1 with a Plumes adds some nice low end and more modern highs.
Add a sprinkle of plate or delay to put some finish on it.

The Studio Classic with a Studio 1X12 loaded with a 65 watt Creamback is my homage to the 80’s Marshall Stack and looks so cute on display. Always gets comments.

i still dont know what the definitive SLO album is :idk its the most overrated amp ever
Poll didn’t ask what amp was used on the most albums in the 80s it asked for ‘your weapon of choice‘ for those tones. The SLO slays for that stuff. It was built in response to people wanting those tones and pulls them with absolute ease.

A lot people assume the 800 was the big thing (note all the folks here answering 800) during the 80s but al lot of the icons were rocking boosted/modded/dimed Plexis. None of my heroes were 800 guys.

My other ‘weapon’ of choice would probably be the MP1. Which again was late to the party but crushed those sounds because it was designed to, just like the SLO.

Last edited:
1669482322514.jpeg

What rig did Duffy use for this album? One article states “Well, we already know that Billy loved his Marshalls, and this just screams a Marshall that is clipping beautifully. Pushed hard by a Les Paul and not a trace of effects, so no tubescreamer’s or anything else (although I think that solo tone has something happening).” Later he moved to Friedman BE100s I think.

Anyway - Les Paul into a Marshall is glorious IMO. Pushed with a Tube Screamer or something as needed. :chef

Les Paul into a Marshall is glorious
Def cant go wrong, Iconic Combo :chef
If i recall correctly though Billy used a Gretsch White Falcon guitar a lot

Def cant go wrong, Iconic Combo :chef
If i recall correctly though Billy used a Gretsch White Falcon guitar a lot

True - I think he did. But a couple articles I’ve read mentioned he used an LP occasionally as well.

Back