Why Do I Feel Like Yes Is The.....

Inspired by this very thread, today I've listened to The Yes Album (1971) among those I already own and gave a try to Big Generator (1987) among those I don't.

Big Generator confirmed me that I don't enjoy 80's Yes (and beyond)

Relayer will be my record of choice for tonight's trip to band practice.

Inspired by this very thread, today I've listened to The Yes Album (1971) among those I already own and gave a try to Big Generator (1987) among those I don't.

I wouldn't completely shitcan post-90125 Yes, but the following albums are wildly inconsistent for sure.

"Union" was one of many record company/management dropped balls in the history of the band. The tour was cool, though.

"Talk" is arguably the best Rabin Yes album (although some of the lyrics...eeeesh)

The original "Keys To Ascension" I & II albums ("classic" Yes lineup more or less) were fantastic if a bit disjointed (and apparently, somewhat overdubbed in the live recordings). The big mistake was not releasing them as separate studio and live albums (which they kinda corrected years after the fact).

"Open Your Eyes" had two good songs to kick off the album - and the rest was horseshit. Allegedly was cobbled together from the remains of a Squire solo project.

"The Ladder" was really good - I don't think there's a bad track on it - but then Igor Khoroshev had to go and fuck it all up on the subsequent tour.

"Magnification"? Ehhh, kinda boring, with replacing upfront keyboards with orchestration...meh.

Once they forced Jon Anderson out, that was it for me...although I did give "Fly From Here" an honest, albeit short-lived chance. After cleaning up the vomit, that was all I could stand, and I could just happily go back and play the good stuff when the mood strikes.

What was the Yes tour where they handed out headphones to the audience to listen through? I had a friend go who explained it to me and it sounded weird but I am betting it would have been actually a cool experience.

What was the Yes tour where they handed out headphones to the audience to listen through? I had a friend go who explained it to me and it sounded weird but I am betting it would have been actually a cool experience.

I believe that was the “Talk” tour - apparently it was supposed to be the soundboard mix or something like that (your post actually jogged my memory). I didn’t see that tour, though.

I should do this, too. I only know the radio hits, which I always liked (including the 80s stuff). Have not heard an entire album.

While I'm not a huge prog rock guy, I do love Rush, and I know Yes were a big influence.

Thanks for the idea!

I heard "All Good People" on a drive home last week and was like Holy Shit! Why have
I slept on Yes for so long?? Not sure if I was ready to hear that song with new ears or
what was going on. Just slapped me upside the head super hard, and made me think
I wasn't giving them their fair due.

The members that were in that band at one time or another is monumental. They are
like the Prog version of Deep Purple. :LOL:

Here's what I wanna see, er, hear...

Remember when 5.1 came out? You had 1 sub, and didn't really matter where you put it, and stereo tweeters. Well, quad.

So I'm at a Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning show, and FW's live sound was awful. Very unintelligible, with DT/QR not a lot better. And at that show I wished we could have like, a whole shitload of tweeters dropped from the ceiling, all over the entire pavilion, like, in a grid pattern, with subs like every so often, under the floor. They'd need baffles I suppose, but something better than all the live sound up front.

That was 2006, and sure, it's gotten better at certain shows, and Pink Floyd was the best, with their quad PA speakers on the sides and in the rear.

Just some method to get the early sounds to your ears, so all the reflections wouldn't even be loud enough for you to hear, basically.

I listened to the The Yes Album today, too. :beer

I heard "All Good People" on a drive home last week and was like Holy Shit! Why have
I slept on Yes for so long?? Not sure if I was ready to hear that song with new ears or
what was going on. Just slapped me upside the head super hard, and made me think
I wasn't giving them their fair due.

The members that were in that band at one time or another is monumental. They are
like the Prog version of Deep Purple. :LOL:
You need stone with his spreadsheets to keep all the members straight!

Remember when 5.1 came out? You had 1 sub, and didn't really matter where you put it, and stereo tweeters. Well, quad.

So I'm at a Dream Theater/Queensryche/Fates Warning show, and FW's live sound was awful. Very unintelligible, with DT/QR not a lot better. And at that show I wished we could have like, a whole shitload of tweeters dropped from the ceiling, all over the entire pavilion, like, in a grid pattern, with subs like every so often, under the floor. They'd need baffles I suppose, but something better than all the live sound up front.

That was 2006, and sure, it's gotten better at certain shows, and Pink Floyd was the best, with their quad PA speakers on the sides and in the rear.

Just some method to get the early sounds to your ears, so all the reflections wouldn't even be loud enough for you to hear, basically.

We played a Club that kind of did that. It was massive old Logging Lodge converted to an Hotel and Bar.
It was long and kind of narrow. Hard to throw sound the length of the room. So they put Mains halfway
and then all the way at the other end of the Lodge. You'd plug into a snake on the front of the stage
and then you had great sound no matter where people sat.

Sadly, it burnt down a few years ago and they rebuilt it about 1/3rd the size. It was an historic landmark. :(

1707189114659.jpeg

you had great sound no matter where people sat.
The absolute worst is in those old theaters, with those decorative, embossed, metal squares about 16", all across the ceiling. Horrible reflections.

Fortunately there's not many of them with ceilings still like that, with most having been renovated. But I saw another DT show at a theater in DC with that ceiling material, and unless you were right up front, you needed earplugs just to filter out all the crap. (I remember putting my fingers in my ears, and couldn't believe how much clearer it was.)

Man; this is a great lineup. Even with my historical anti-LaBrie slant.

Probably one of the best examples of wishing I could pick the album/lineup that each of these bands would use for the show in question. I think Awaken the Guardian-era with John Arch (because Ray Adler is as exciting as watching paint dry:wat), Rage for Order era QR :love with DT right when they did Images and Words because LaBrie was at the top of his game probably and they would only be able to do that album and pull from When Dream and Day Unite
:rollsafe

I really wish I could remember what Yes album that was.

I used to be so inspired and envious of my friend Kevin McCreery and his band. They
killed it all the time. So good. They'd always do songs that no one else would think to
attempt.:chef

He's passed on now. Died way too young. Was glad to be his friend and once-upon-a-time
roommate. :beer

Back