What's Worse Than...?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Running through that challenging solo, feeling like you're playing it really well, then running that final ascending riff, only to miss the last note?

1711333323640.jpeg

Consistency is always a problem for me.
On a good day everything works and it almost feels like I am listening to someone else BUT regardless of how much I practice there are still days when I can’t play a fucking E chord. Improvisation is always going to be this way I suppose but I wish I could raise my low bar higher.

Running through that challenging solo, feeling like you're playing it really well, then running that final ascending riff, only to miss the last note?

View attachment 20688

It can be worse. Record it, listen back, and notice how much you suck on tempo, on keeping these bendings and vibrato on perfect pitch, or on muting the unwanted strings. Record it 100 times, and notice that none of the takes is 100% professional.
Truman Show Love GIF by Laff

I was a happy f**'ng rock star during my young years gigging, but seniority has given me better ears and judgement. Now I'm never satisfied with my playing. Ignorance, shamelessness, braveness and recklessness was bliss.😄
Point Guitar GIF by Xbox

Last edited:
It can be worse. Record it, listen back, and notice how much you suck on tempo, on keeping these bendings and vibrato on perfect pitch, or on muting the unwanted strings. Record it 100 times, and notice that none of the takes is 100% professional.

I was a happy f**'ng rock star during my young years gigging, but seniority has given me better ears and judgement. Now I'm never satisfied with my playing. Ignorance, shamelessness, braveness and recklessness was bliss.😄
Point Guitar GIF by Xbox
I'm sure! That's one reason why I work so much with a metronome, and also why I don't want to record myself.
Not just yet anyway...

Point Guitar GIF by Xbox

I’ll never forget the first time I had them cut me a live board recording from a gig and I listened to it in the car on the way home.

get ready boss GIF by Bounce

The biggest improvements in my playing always came in periods where I was heavily listening to live recordings and noting all the things I needed to do better. That goes for my tone too, I notice a lot of things in playback that aren’t apparent to me while I’m playing. Once I notice them in playback it’s also easier to spot them and correct them in the future live.

Then, there are days where I know I sucked and I choose to avoid any recording playback because I just don’t want to hear it I already know it was bad lol.

D

Back