Does your tempo suck? (Metronome Boot Camp)

Does your beat suck?

• Total voters
This post is inspired by @TSJMajesty What's Worse Than...? thread

Being conscious of how much my timing sucks after nearly 40 years playing guitar, I have decided to enroll the free METRONOME BOOT CAMP

Lesson 0 has useful tips, Lesson 1 is about using the metronome, and Lesson 2 "Bury the click" is a test that I have still not been able to pass clean.

- Set the metronome to 70 bpm
- Cancel the accentuated beat (all 4 beats equal)
- Mute the strings and strum them. how loud is it?
- Set the metronome volume slightly quieter than that
- Strum your muted strings in time with the metronome
- When you’re right on top of the beat, the beat will disappear under your muted strum (you’ll be burying the click)
👉 If you hear the metronome beat, you're playing out of tempo 😛
- Try to do that 5 minutes without mistakes (not hearing the click)
maracas GIF
beat meth GIF

BTW, what is your favorite metronome? Mine is Keuwlsoft Metronome for Android
Keuwlsoft has some interesting apps.
View attachment 20716
I just downloaded gap click earlier this week and am excited to work some with it: https://www.gapclick.app/

I would MUUUUUUUUCH rather watch the latter band than the former.
Yeah, that's why I try what I wrote...
Also, I'm talking fractions -- nothing that many non-musicians would notice.

You got me thinking when I experience it the most, and I'd say it's with a metronome, when I may not hear enough supporting sounds... I would then probably either rush, or be late trying to play a part well enough (is my theory). It does pick up to some degree if I record more, but I haven't been for a while... It for sure has many aspects, also perfectionism. At the same time I love amateurism too. It's hard to figure myself out... :p

This post is inspired by @TSJMajesty What's Worse Than...? thread

Being conscious of how much my timing sucks after nearly 40 years playing guitar, I have decided to enroll the free METRONOME BOOT CAMP

Lesson 0 has useful tips, Lesson 1 is about using the metronome, and Lesson 2 "Bury the click" is a test that I have still not been able to pass clean.

- Set the metronome to 70 bpm
- Cancel the accentuated beat (all 4 beats equal)
- Mute the strings and strum them. how loud is it? [snip]

That's "making me hate my life in three easy steps".
I drove myself into the ground with this kinda stuff repeatedly.
That sucked and got me nowhere.

In the past few years I have been treating the metronome as the world's worst drummer. And made it my responsibility to make the metronome sound good with what I play.
That can actually be fun and I believe that this is a much more important skill to hone than strum exactly 70bpm on muted strings for five minutes
straight.

The OP's drill is an intriguing concept. Man, I had so many of those kinda drill ideas over the years. "Just do X for hours, then..." . Most of those drills suck and ground down my motivation with repetitive tedium.
I need to play, make music and need some freedom and wiggle room to feel excited to come back to my guitar. Centering my practice around this has been helpful.

Just my 2 cents.

Most of those drills suck
I forgot what Metheny recommends, but maybe it was the Beato interview where he said most players can't even play (slowish) quarter notes.

I do remember that's a thing my jazz friend started practising 40 years ago, and most of these guys do seem to get good time. If not, they are humiliated the first chance the drummer gets. That was always so fun to watch when drummers try that on purpose :grin

most players can't even play (slowish) quarter notes.

And it's getting worse the slower it gets. Another amazing challenge. Just keep slowing the metronome down and don't play more subdivisions to "compensate". Also no "air strokes". Just hit the quarters at 30BPM, use alternate picking. If possible, record yourself and look how your picking does against the grid...

I forgot what Metheny recommends, but maybe it was the Beato interview where he said most players can't even play (slowish) quarter notes.

I do remember that's a thing my jazz friend started practising 40 years ago, and most of these guys do seem to get good time. If not, they are humiliated the first chance the drummer gets. That was always so fun to watch when drummers try that on purpose :grin
That's right.
So let me rephrase my statement:
Try this drill to take stock, and be sure to work on your time in a way that's musical and motivating?
It is important to set up practice for a positive feedback loop. Doing stuff that improves your skills but makes you want to come back for more.

My tempo was good at some point i could do gallops for days, then i stopped practicing and only played on gigs and I would struggle.

Jon Schaffer form Iced Earth he can do tight gallops for days, I saw him using bear spray… I think thats his secret for them tight gallops….

i need to spray bear maze on my hand to see if it has same effect on me. :rofl

Back