Does your tempo suck? (Metronome Boot Camp)

Does your beat suck?

• Total voters

Piing

Roadie
This post is inspired by @TSJMajesty What's Worse Than...? thread

Being conscious of how much my timing sucks after nearly 40 years playing guitar, I have decided to enroll the free METRONOME BOOT CAMP

Lesson 0 has useful tips, Lesson 1 is about using the metronome, and Lesson 2 "Bury the click" is a test that I have still not been able to pass clean.

- Set the metronome to 70 bpm
- Cancel the accentuated beat (all 4 beats equal)
- Mute the strings and strum them. how loud is it?
- Set the metronome volume slightly quieter than that
- Strum your muted strings in time with the metronome
- When you’re right on top of the beat, the beat will disappear under your muted strum (you’ll be burying the click)
👉 If you hear the metronome beat, you're playing out of tempo 😛
- Try to do that 5 minutes without mistakes (not hearing the click)
maracas GIF
beat meth GIF

BTW, what is your favorite metronome? Mine is Keuwlsoft Metronome for Android
Keuwlsoft has some interesting apps.
1711444396382.png

Last edited:
This post is inspired by @TSJMajesty What's Worse Than...? thread

Being conscious of how much my timing sucks after nearly 40 years playing guitar, I have decided to enroll the free METRONOME BOOT CAMP

Lesson 0 has useful tips, Lesson 1 is about using the metronome, and Lesson 2 "Bury the click" is a test that I have still not been able to pass clean.

- Set the metronome to 70 bpm
- Cancel the accentuated beat (all 4 beats equal)
- Mute the strings and strum them. how loud is it?
- Set the metronome volume slightly quieter than that
- Strum your muted strings in time with the metronome
- When you’re right on top of the beat, the beat will disappear under your muted strum (you’ll be burying the click)
👉 If you hear the metronome beat, you're playing out of tempo 😛
- Try to do that 5 minutes without mistakes (not hearing the click)
maracas GIF
beat meth GIF

BTW, what is your favorite metronome? Mine is Keuwlsoft Metronome for Android
Keuwlsoft has some interesting apps.
View attachment 20716
I hardly ever use a standard click or metronome nowadays. I prefer a drum beat or sometimes a shaker loop. Same concept obviously.

The real deal is playing behind the beat!!! Or in other words being able to modulate your inner rhythm as an effect.
Playing ahead of the beat can make it sound like it has urgency, anxious. Playing behind the beat makes you sound cool, like Slash!

Not sure if the Fender Tune app is still free, but that is a very helpful mobile app. It’s got a lot of different types of drum patterns in many styles, as well as a regular metronome.

Timing has never come naturally for me. Recording has helped. It helps to see how much I am off when I know that I am off time. I prefer to load up a drum VSTi with an 8th note groove to tighten up. I do practice with quarter notes at slow tempos, although not as much as I should.

What has helped most in the past few years is learning drumming. Coordinating four limbs so that simultaneous hits aren’t flamming has tightened up my timing. Playing an egg shaker against a click is also something that helped me focus on mechanics against a click.

There are lots of exercises with a metronome that can help you improve your time. Check out this Victor Wooten video.

Last edited:
I still have and use my painfully loud Seiko quartz metronome. My timing's still not great even though I've spent thousands of hours with that fucker blasting my ears. Can't imagine how awful I'd be without it, though :rofl

You can also just google metronome on your phone and you'll get google's simple metronome in your browser.

I have tried a few metronomes on Android and they were not great at keeping time, unfortunately.

DAWs are way better for metronome practising, so unless I'm on the road, I never use a plain metronome.

Here's one thing I still like to do:
- Play a repeating pattern (whatever you wish) along with a metronome or groove. Have that beat running for 3 bars and make bar 4 a break (for a start, have your metronome/groove play beat 1). When you loop back to bar 1, try to hit beat 1 as good as possible.
- Do the same with 1 bar groove, 1 bar break.
- Add any accent in the break bar and try to hit it.
- Do the same with 1 bar groove and 2 bars of a break.
- Do everything again and slow things down. Like really slow.
- Do everything again, this time your metronome/groove willl only consist of a backbeat on 2 and 4.
- Do everything again, this time your playing will be improvised.

This kinda method of leaving out many things and moving accents around can be crazily expanded. You could come up with a pattern with the only clicks/hits being, say, beat 2 in bar 1, beat 1+ in bar 2, beat 3 in bar 3 and beat 2+ in bar 4. Whatever floats your boat. Very obviously it's a good idea to take some time for each tempo.

A theory that I've not tested with a recording yet is that I tend to go off tempo because I subconsciously give preference to play the part well rather than stay with the tempo... So I sometimes try to listen to the part in my head and follow that instead, whatever note I may fail. Again, I've not recorded that yet... What do you think of the theory/solution?

On one hand it doesn't seem to make sense, as I thought people more tend to rush a part? (and I certainly have that sensation too)
-

Another thing I seem to have is that when the drummer counts off, I still want to go to my preferred tempo asap :grin

A theory that I've not tested with a recording yet is that I tend to go off tempo because I subconsciously give preference to play the part well rather than stay with the tempo...
You gotta do both - stay with the tempo and play the part well - if you want a keeper track or a passable live performance. If the part you're playing is beyond your present ability to execute cleanly, you'll need to do one of two things: 1) shed the part until you can nail it consistently, or 2) simplify the part to something you can execute cleanly now. Completing 1) might take a minute, so do 2) if you're in a hurry.
So I sometimes try to listen to the part in my head and follow that instead, whatever note I may fail.
Flow is much more important than any individual note. When you're playing ensemble, you've got to listen to and play in time with what what the other players are doing.
Again, I've not recorded that yet... What do you think of the theory/solution?
See above.
Another thing I seem to have is that when the drummer counts off, I still want to go to my preferred tempo asap :grin
Seriously, don't do that. If the leader (drummer or whoever else might be counting) counts the wrong tempo, stop him and work out the difference.

I've been driven bananas by players who insisted on imposing their idea of the "correct" tempo on everyone else, regardless of the tempo that was originally counted. It makes for an incoherent performance by the group. It's almost as infuriating when a leader cavalierly counts off a song without taking a second to hear it clearly in their head and get the tempo right. Both counting correctly and playing the counted tempo are extremely important.

Last edited:
Seriously, don't do that.
Some of us don't do it on purpose. It's just an extra subconscious factor when you're not experienced or have not been disciplined enough, is my theory... It's not like I want to argue about the tempo after count-off.

Anyway, I love it when it's just me that is the problem... I used to be in a band where the drummer was too, so was always wondering which one of us was off this time.. :grin Still good enough for non-musicians to enjoy though. Even an American musician came to compliment us at a festival in Holland once, which I entirely couldn't grasp. He must have been enjoying the European beers...

OTOH, we did have a great steel guitar player who made up for everything.

Some of us don't do it on purpose. It's just an extra subconscious factor when you're not experienced or have not been disciplined enough, is my theory... It's not like I want to argue about the tempo after count-off.

Anyway, I love it when it's just me that is the problem... I used to be in a band where the drummer was too, so was always wondering which one of us was off this time.. :grin Still good enough for non-musicians to enjoy though. Even an American musician came to compliment us at a festival in Holland once, which I entirely couldn't grasp. He must have been enjoying the European beers...

OTOH, we did have a great steel guitar player who made up for everything.

I have a habit of rushing things when I record, especially if I haven’t played the part a million times before, so I’ll tap my foot to the tempo and the physical sensation keeps me in check. If I’m ultra-focused on what I’m playing I run the risk of drums or a metronome becoming background noise.

And in live situations, it’s always going to be easier for everyone in the band to catch up with the drummer instead of the other way around. They usually can’t hear shit behind the drums and won’t know who to sync up with, but everyone can just follow him and avoid train wrecks. If they’re really losing the tempo, casually making eye contact and nodding at your picking hand will almost always get them to acknowledge there’s something wrong with the tempo and to listen/sync up with you.

Just don’t do a mid-air 180 and start staring them down like they kicked your dog, because the whole audience is going to see “Oh, someone messed up!”, if you do it casually they’ll just think you’re rockin’ out with your drummer.

I’ll tap my foot to the tempo and the physical sensation keeps me in check.
Indeed, and these are basics I may sometimes forget. Not sure; it's been too long...
A similar recommendation I used to see a friend do is to kind of walk in place, moving shoulders back and forth, but I didn't want to look like Steve Vai :p

I'm the type that is never in the right zone probably, either thinking too little or too much. I could never really be the sole guitar player in a small band, making errors every few bars... :grin I mostly do have confidence to back up a band with acoustic strumming, which I love. I did often dread if I had to fingerpick an important part (alone). Before a live on radio thing I once did with a band, having me open it alone, I've never been more anxious. Thankfully I calmed down and made only one error.

And in live situations, it’s always going to be easier for everyone in the band to catch up with the drummer instead of the other way around.
That's probably what I did.
There just was a feeling of "I could be better in the pocket." I had heard from others that the drummer was not rock solid, so therefore I was always wondering who was most to blame.
I did play with a great drummer too, and it's fun to see that usually I can, and when I'm off, to be sure it must be me...
-
For a long time my dream was to accompany a girl singer (duo), and I just don't feel good enough for that on a (semi) pro level -- unless it's just strumming. It's been fun to do it on amateur level though, and to notice how some have the talent to not mind my "drifting" and can musically adapt. For me, it hurts I cannot be their ROCK :grin

IMO, your whole being also factors in and may be the biggest part of the problem -- it's not just all about practicing the right stuff, I tend to think. You need good confidence as a person, or at least for the more difficult bits.

Indeed, and these are basics I may sometimes forget. Not sure; it's been too long...
A similar recommendation I used to see a friend do is to kind of walk in place, moving shoulders back and forth, but I didn't want to look like Steve Vai :p

I'm the type that is never in the right zone probably, either thinking too little or too much. I could never really be the sole guitar player in a small band, making errors every few bars... :grin I mostly do have confidence to back up a band with acoustic strumming, which I love. I did often dread if I had to fingerpick an important part (alone). Before a live on radio thing I once did with a band, having me open it alone, I've never been more anxious. Thankfully I calmed down and made only one error.

That's probably what I did.
There just was a feeling of "I could be better in the pocket." I had heard from others that the drummer was not rock solid, so therefore I was always wondering who was most to blame.
I did play with a great drummer too, and it's fun to see that usually I can, and when I'm off, to be sure it must be me...
-
For a long time my dream was to accompany a girl singer (duo), and I just don't feel good enough for that on a (semi) pro level -- unless it's just strumming. It's been fun to do it on amateur level though, and to notice how some have the talent to not mind my "drifting" and can musically adapt. For me, it hurts I cannot be their ROCK :grin

IMO, your whole being also factors in and may be the biggest part of the problem -- it's not just all about practicing the right stuff, I tend to think. You need good confidence as a person, or at least for the more difficult bits.

Absolutely. You can use one to fuel the other, though. You use your small wins to build confidence until you’re taking bigger swings and going for more, using that confidence to build off of.

While I got over stage fright a long time ago, there’s always going to be a show or group of people I play in front of that brings the nerves back. I try to find 2-5 minutes before I play and just think about the reasons I bother with any of it and ultimately it’s just to have fun, to enjoy making music with people I like being around, if I just stay focused on that then I can reset my head enough to not allow it to run wild.

And hey man, if walking in place and moving your shoulders is going to keep you in time, it’s also going to keep you moving onstage and the audience always prefers to see that over a dude just staring at the neck of their guitar. Hahahah I saw a video of me in high school and I was like a deer in headlights onstage, what movement I did have was so awkward I realized the more I was thinking “If I move or get into it I’ll look dumb”, the more I was looking dumb by being stuck in my head!

While I got over stage fright a long time ago, there’s always going to be a show or group of people I play in front of that brings the nerves back
Agreed. I'm probably very sensitive to bad vibes in the room, part of which are projection. Both my dad and early-years best friend were very critical people and I kinda got rolled into that before I knew what was happening, making me suspect most others are the same. This could then make that I have to be the guy staring at his neck... :grin I'm mostly ok on the easy stuff though -- whatever.

OTOH, there are people that can give you a huge lift, and one can be enough. I have (had) such friend who is always impressed and will always love me for the good notes. So fun. Must be great to play before a crowd of mostly actual fans...

Hahahah I saw a video of me in high school and I was like a deer in headlights onstage
Don't remind me of my first duo guitar school gig ;)
Well, it went ok but the funny thing was that there were two bar stools ready for us. We start and my better playing friend suddenly chooses to sit down on a regular chair, leaving me high up as if I was the main man... :facepalm :bonk Big applause, probably out of laughter :grin

Agreed. I'm probably very sensitive to bad vibes in the room, part of which are projection. Both my dad and early-years best friend were very critical people and I kinda got rolled into that before I knew what was happening, making me suspect most others are the same. This could then make that I have to be the guy staring at his neck... :grin I'm mostly ok on the easy stuff though -- whatever.

OTOH, there are people that can give you a huge lift, and one can be enough. I have (had) such friend who is always impressed and will always love me for the good notes. So fun. Must be great to play before a crowd of mostly actual fans...

Don't remind me of my first duo guitar school gig ;)
Well, it went ok but the funny thing was that there were two bar stools ready for us. We start and my better playing friend suddenly chooses to sit down on a regular chair, leaving me high up as if I was the main man... :facepalm :bonk Big applause, probably out of laughter :grin

Hahahah I get it with the dad thing. It was always surprising to me that my friend’s parents didn’t all communicate via screaming when I went to their houses and that’s pretty much how I thought people HAD to talk to me for a while. :rofl

Once you get a couple good shows under your feet you’ll start dropping the nerves. Then once you have a night where you KNOW you’re playing like shit and nothing is working right, but the audience has a great time and it comes off as a great show, you really drop the nerves because the things you were focused on aren’t the things the audience is, they’re just focused on the good time!!

Hahahah I get it with the dad thing. It was always surprising to me that my friend’s parents didn’t all communicate via screaming when I went to their houses and that’s pretty much how I thought people HAD to talk to me for a while. :rofl
Aww, sorry... With me, it's that I became the same, I mean -- very eager to criticize anything (although we also feared when dad raised his voice). We didn't know the word "hater" yet back then ;) More balanced now and merely a "selective hater" at times :giggle:

Once you get a couple good shows under your feet you’ll start dropping the nerves.
I only got a good dozen or so gigs in, but I did experience that after the first gig or two.
I had always been so fearful of it, but it went so well that it was all I wanted to do for the rest of my life!
Then, of course, most bands didn't happen and others had not many gigs... I escaped several where I really didn't qualify, but a friend always talked me into it and recommended me :facepalm

I guess the same might happen on a duo gig thing, but it's another level and "starting over." And if it does go bad, it may cause deep trauma LOL Luckily, nearing 60, my future gigs might be in elderly homes where people don't mind or hear anything anyway... :sleep: :grin
-
Anyway, I greatly enjoyed the band threads by you and la szum -- that stuff is so recognizable. Glues me to the page, imagining all the settings like in a good book :oops:

A theory that I've not tested with a recording yet is that I tend to go off tempo because I subconsciously give preference to play the part well rather than stay with the tempo... So I sometimes try to listen to the part in my head and follow that instead, whatever note I may fail. Again, I've not recorded that yet... What do you think of the theory/solution?

On one hand it doesn't seem to make sense, as I thought people more tend to rush a part? (and I certainly have that sensation too)
-

Regarding paragraph 1, to me the first priority to playing any part well is timing. Reading down to paragraph 3 it sounds like a bigger issue is that you may not be listening to the rest of the band with enough care. If I had to choose between hearing someone hit the right note out of the pocket of the rest of the band or someone hitting some wrong notes but being tight in the pocket -- I would MUUUUUUUUCH rather watch the latter band than the former.

Back