Looking Closely At How John Petrucci Crafts A Shred Run

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
Taken from Invisible Monster solo, at first glance it may seem just like a flurry of notes. And at 2nd, and 3rd glances, but moving on...

JP likes to use repetition that doesn't necessarily "lay onto" the rhythm, but if you repeat a pattern enough times, eventually it'll circle back around to "1", or another downbeat. Here's the run:

1695167416066.png

1695167450862.png

If you break it down into groups of 4 or 8, so you can keep to a beat, it may not make any sense. But I've studied enough of his licks to know there's usually a pattern. And here it is:

It's a series of 7 notes, 3 ascending, 2 descending, & 2 ascending again. Move up, repeat, for a total of 8x's. 7 notes, 8x's = 56 notes, which as they are 32nd notes, or 8 notes/beat, that's 7 beats. Finish beat 8 with 2 groups of a 4-note lick, and end on a bend, and you've got a pretty cool, albeit nearly impossible-to-play-up-to-speed (106 bpm!! :rawk:rawk:facepalm), ascending riff.

It's an awesome method of working your way from one place to another!

Now what I don't know, is how/why he chose each of the 8 starting notes. But knowing that JP likes to purposely link his note choices to the underlying chords, would probably be a clue.

Taken from Invisible Monster solo, at first glance it may seem just like a flurry of notes. And at 2nd, and 3rd glances, but moving on...

JP likes to use repetition that doesn't necessarily "lay onto" the rhythm, but if you repeat a pattern enough times, eventually it'll circle back around to "1", or another downbeat. Here's the run:

View attachment 11050
View attachment 11051

If you break it down into groups of 4 or 8, so you can keep to a beat, it may not make any sense. But I've studied enough of his licks to know there's usually a pattern. And here it is:

It's a series of 7 notes, 3 ascending, 2 descending, & 2 ascending again. Move up, repeat, for a total of 8x's. 7 notes, 8x's = 56 notes, which as they are 32nd notes, or 8 notes/beat, that's 7 beats. Finish beat 8 with 2 groups of a 4-note lick, and end on a bend, and you've got a pretty cool, albeit nearly impossible-to-play-up-to-speed (106 bpm!! :rawk:rawk:facepalm), ascending riff.

It's an awesome method of working your way from one place to another!

Now what I don't know, is how/why he chose each of the 8 starting notes. But knowing that JP likes to purposely link his note choices to the underlying chords, would probably be a clue.
You know it literally is playing 3s in 2s, or more specially 9 (3x3) as 8

Back