What Guitar Are You Playing At This Very Moment...

Back to the old objectively flawed LP tonight. I love this thing so much

254717B6-3AC4-4223-9D48-43B14EC49DD4.jpeg

Picked up this used Player Plus about a month ago and have been playing it. I love the neck on it with rolled edges, but I'm not really loving the noiseless pickups. I'll probably be changing them eventually.

Attachments

• PXL_20230309_001221053.jpg
    PXL_20230309_001221053.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
Currently back to spending lots of time with my May 1980 Vantage VLP-540.

Doesn't look all too special, but the pair of MMK45 humbuckers really scream. There's a certain unique punch/heft to its sound.

MIJ (Matsumoku), 100% stock hardware, C Standard tuning with 12/54's. I love this thing!

VLP540.jpg

Currently back to spending lots of time with my May 1980 Vantage VLP-540.

Doesn't look all too special, but the pair of MMK45 humbuckers really scream. There's a certain unique punch/heft to its sound.

MIJ (Matsumoku), 100% stock hardware, C Standard tuning with 12/54's. I love this thing!

View attachment 6061

Man you have a nice set there, I like all 3!!

LP Epi or LP Copy is on my watchlist. I wish I could find a reasonable MIJ copy. I had a black Epiphone LP that I put PRS pickups and new electronics with push/pull pots to split the humbuckers that I sold around 2009-2010. I think it was around a 96 or 98 and it was sweet!! I wish I had never sold it, but times were tough back then.
I bet this one in C std and heavy strings sounds great on QOTSA stuff, one of my favorite bands

Man you have a nice set there, I like all 3!!

LP Epi or LP Copy is on my watchlist. I wish I could find a reasonable MIJ copy. I had a black Epiphone LP that I put PRS pickups and new electronics with push/pull pots to split the humbuckers that I sold around 2009-2010. I think it was around a 96 or 98 and it was sweet!! I wish I had never sold it, but times were tough back then.
I bet this one in C std and heavy strings sounds great on QOTSA stuff, one of my favorite bands

Hmmm, depending on where you live, but except for particularly-branded older MIJ LP's by Ibanez/Greco/Tokai (these can be expensive), vintage Japanese guitars usually come cheap enough, probably at some point between 300 and 500€.

Hmmm, depending on where you live, but except for particularly-branded older MIJ LP's by Ibanez/Greco/Tokai (these can be expensive), vintage Japanese guitars usually come cheap enough, probably at some point between 300 and 500€.

I live in Florida, most of the ones that make it over here they are usually in great shape and expensive or beat to hell and a little less expensive. I'm taking my time, it look like the used market is getting better. I may even get a 24 fret PRS SE put in better PU's maybe the Navarro Sig model and call it a day. Really the only thing I did not like about my Epi LP was that it was heavy and sometimes uncomfortable while sitting.

I live in Florida, most of the ones that make it over here they are usually in great shape and expensive or beat to hell and a little less expensive. I'm taking my time, it look like the used market is getting better. I may even get a 24 fret PRS SE put in better PU's maybe the Navarro Sig model and call it a day. Really the only thing I did not like about my Epi LP was that it was heavy and sometimes uncomfortable while sitting.

There’s a guy down here in Ft. Lauderdale who has a few MIJ LP’s for sale regularly, he’s The Guitar Dude on Reverb. Hahahah guy is literally within walking distance from my apartment and I never even bothered to hit him up to try any of his MIJ’s before buying mine.

There’s several of us here who are big fans of Edwards LP’s because they’re fanfuckingtastic and can be bought for $1000-$1300 brand new off Reverb, shipped over from Japan. There are a lot of guitars/brands I wouldn’t even consider buying without playing first, but I’ll never have a problem ordering an Edwards sight unseen. Orville’s (formerly managed by Gibson) are outstanding, Burny’s, Greco’s, Navigator, Tokai, all make KILLER LP’s in Japan and can be found for really reasonable pricing on Reverb.

Back