What Guitar Are You Playing At This Very Moment...

20210817_214133.jpg

The setup on this is slightly different (better?) than on my Enchanted Forest, and I'm noticing it's making playing certain things easier. Like full-step bends at the end of a fast triplet run.

But either way, man I love how easy they are to play!

White Ibanez Jem Jr. Not a perfect guitar, but about as close as $375 will get you. :guiness

Have you tried oiling the fingerboard on it? I’d be more than happy to buy one of the black ones, but that jatoba makes me hesitate as every one I’ve played felt like dry, composite rosewood and I’ve heard people say it doesn’t take oils well.

Have you tried oiling the fingerboard on it? I’d be more than happy to buy one of the black ones, but that jatoba makes me hesitate as every one I’ve played felt like dry, composite rosewood and I’ve heard people say it doesn’t take oils well.
I haven't. I got lucky and found a used one with a reasonably dark, dense board. Looks like rosewood and feels like ebony - almost like it was sealed with something at the factory. (Or maybe the previous owner worked some magic?) The new ones hanging next to it were only a few bucks more (and GC wouldn't budge on price on any of them) but their boards were all obnoxiously light-reddish. And this one just felt and sounded a bit better. (Possibly used price placebo LOL.)

I haven't. I got lucky and found a used one with a reasonably dark, dense board. Looks like rosewood and feels like ebony - almost like it was sealed with something at the factory. (Or maybe the previous owner worked some magic?) The new ones hanging next to it were only a few bucks more (and GC wouldn't budge on price on any of them) but their boards were all obnoxiously light-reddish. And this one just felt and sounded a bit better. (Possibly used price placebo LOL.)

I’ll keep my eyes peeled, GC down here usually has 2-3 at any given point. The necks on those are the closest to 90’s JEMs I’ve come across yet and I don’t mind dropping a few hundred on new hardware/guts; white pearloid guard, chrome hardware, chrome dome knobs….just gotta find one of the non-reddish necks!!!

Getting my #1 ready for tonight. 2005 PRS CE-24 with 57/08’s:

View attachment 5034

Ugliest top ever on a PRS, but fits my hands perfectly.

Nah that isn't ugly at all! IMO I would swap the pickup rings with the newer bone white ones though, that would clash less with the black and nickel/chrome. I'd also put some of the newer knobs on it as well. It would look super clean.

Finally feeling well enough to get back into playing after having surgery two weeks ago. I've had this prs for 23 years now and I still love playing it.

View attachment 6395

That's really cool, it's like a proto-DGT!

That's getting harder and harder to do with rosewood boards in general now. I've seen some really Ginger looking rosewood boards on Fender custom shops recently.

I’m talkin’ about jatoba…..for the most part, I won’t buy a new guitar with a rosewood board just because of my ebony preference. The JEMs we’re talking about are super cheap and great for modding up, but the jatoba fingerboards have me a bit cautious.

That's getting harder and harder to do with rosewood boards in general now. I've seen some really Ginger looking rosewood boards on Fender custom shops recently.

Yup. Kind of makes me wonder about those cheap 2010s and earlier guitars that came with legit Rosewood boards. :idk

I’m talkin’ about jatoba…..for the most part, I won’t buy a new guitar with a rosewood board just because of my ebony preference. The JEMs we’re talking about are super cheap and great for modding up, but the jatoba fingerboards have me a bit cautious.

Well that'll teach me to read properly. I'm the same way with Indian Laurel used on a lot of budget guitars now. I've yet to see one up close that I like the look or feel of.

So what is it about those Suhrs (I've never played one) vs. an HSH Strat, or another similar guitar?
The build quality, this particular neck profile with stainless steel frets, and the pickups and how he wires them to get as much variety with parallel routing etc. Yes there are guitars I'm sure can compete but these are worth every penny IMHO. You or anyone else could play them and think no big deal but to me they are some of the best guitars I've ever owned.

Back