What Do You Do For A Living?

customer-3.jpg

Telecommunications, everything from police, sheriff and fire radios, dispatch consoles and internet, etc. Been with the same company for 33 years. When I started we actually had some vacuum tube radios/repeaters/translators in service, those were fun, when they failed there was usually a lot of smoke involved, haha. I used to do a lot of component level repairs, but these days it's send it to the manufacturer for repair, everything is digital and requires proprietary test equipment and software.

I could’ve used you as an SME on a project in NYC looking at radio communications building to building… This all unfolded after 9/11. (Trying to remediate poor radio comms performance during and after the attacks.)

Last edited:

I had a buddy who was going to do the hot dog cart thing, he had all the pricing listed out and they can actually make bank if they get steady sales. Unfortunately, that dude was in his 40’s and had a bit of an issue of liking cocaine and booze a bit more than most folks and his hot dog cart money went up his nose…..and probably mine, too, but I’m not the one who wanted to start a hot dog cart business. :rofl

Cool! And a Dolphins fan in Quebec?? Are you the only one?? :idk
haha no im not really a hot dog vendor, be kind of hard to sell hotdogs in the freezing cold we get here :LOL:
I'm Mechanical Adjudicator Team Leader

I'm what is called a "senior level full-stack developer consultant." I write software using various web technologies, whether it's user interfaces, services, internal tools, cloud stuff etc. Clients range from startups to multinationals.

I work for an employer with a partially commission based model. While this means less money for me from my billable hours, it also means I don't have to hunt down my own clients/projects, don't have to deal with the stuff needed for running your own company etc. It's a good tradeoff and pays well (at least on Finland's level which is far off from what I would earn in say California).

I work mostly from home nowadays, depends on the client. I try to work regular ~40h weeks and if I work more, well it's just more money.

Here’s a fun one I did this week-

I may have mentioned this issue in this thread previously, but we have one tenant where someone forgot to write in the lease “You’re responsible for your own IT room and the associated equipment”, leaving us on the hook to handle the AC that cools the IT rack that runs their entire business. You’d think a company pulling in millions would be inclined to do what they can to preserve the IT equipment….but nope, these guys will let that room heat up to 85 degrees before calling us and then flip out that the heat is damaging their equipment when they could have told us at 75 degrees. Anywho…

We had a 35-week lead time on a replacement C-RAC (computer room AC….they’re f*cking expensive) so all we could do was put a spot cooler in there and vent it out the door since it’s an exposed ceiling and there’s no tiles to vent the hot air into. Of course, their insurance company has a clause stating their IT room must be locked at all times or they risk losing their insurance. It was fine for the last 5 months being open, but they decided to take issue with it last week.

I had about 5 inches I could shove a 14” flex duct through. I told my AC guy to handle it and he quit in about 4 minutes and said it’s impossible. The desire to not be called into work after hours took over and I got it done-

View attachment 3843

IT room is on the left behind glass walls, the open tile on the right is where the duct is venting out to.

Inside the IT room-
View attachment 3844

And I had this much space to fit that flex duct through, right below the 90 degree conduits and above the duct work above the foam covered lines. I just bent the sh*t out of the wire frame in the flex duct and forced it like a gentlemen through the gap.
View attachment 3846

All while balancing on the top rung of an 8’ ladder, holding onto conduits for dear life praying they don’t just rip out of the walls and I go crashing to my death or paralysis.

We closed our building during Christmas to replace the two big Chilled Water Headers and rearrange the pipes distribution. A major work with a short deadline.

1674403108338.png

I went on Christmas eve to commission the Bypass Valve located between the supply and return headers (we use 2-way valves and there is no VSD on the pumps, so that valve releases the pressure when the 2-way valves of the AHUs are closing)

This is the bypass valve. With a differential pressure sensor, a positioner (with 15 wires), and two solenoid valves. Everything is wired to the Building Automation System:
1674403824396.png

The contractor wired everything wrong. They did not label the cables before dismounting it, and they used different colors to extend the wires, so I spent a long time reverse-engineering to rewire everything by myself

Once everything was connected, I could not have a good reading from the Dwyer differential pressure sensor. It has a display to configure parameters, so I thought that it was unconfigured, and I spent until late evening learning how to configure it...

No success. I had to return on Christmas day, just to find out that they mounted the valve with the IN/OUT reversed, even though the label is in 4 languages. That is why the diff Pressure sensor was not reading :rofl
1674403591267.png

I had to wait another day until they reveersed the valve. Luckily, it was finished on time to reopen the building.

Last edited:
i don't remember if i ever posted on this thread but i am a current gourmet burger truck owner. we are the top burger truck in los angeles, per yelp. before that, i was a bond trader on wall street for 17 years.

Back