What do you consider home/bedroom volumes?

120 dB is loud af …

Surprise Seinfeld GIF

I sit about 6-8 feet in front of my cab, off to the side of it. My phone shows 80-85 dB when laid on couch beside me. I'd describe it as "loud home theatre" volume, but it varies because I use my guitar's volume knob a lot. I'm rarely going full-out for any long period of time.

As for "bedroom volume," I associate the term more with "quiet TV level." Like, someone in the next room would barely hear it.

105 dB is bedroom levels?? :wat Someone's moving the goalposts here.

football touchdown GIF by The Undefeated

:LOL:

No goalpost moving here...
More like no concept of reality :LOL:

Seriously though, I know that isn't what most people would consider bedroom levels. Just didn't know if most considered bedroom volume mouse fart, loud TV, or somewhere in between.
I can play a good bit louder than TV volumes without pissing off the wife or neighbors so I do. I'm also conscience of hearing loss so I'm mindful to stay within the acceptable duration limits so I don't damage my hearing any more than it already is.

You man “mouse fart volumes”
“flea pea volumes”..

The taproot of your question lies on the speaker.

Add the room, the way you play, how you bias and how well you keep up with the bias in your amplifiers, even certain pre-amp tubes/power tubes in certain circuits can push it,
Most notable:
your mood & tolerance for radical acceptance of what you are actually trying to accomplish..
At some speaker frequency..the sound must
stab out & travel through our aged ears and hit the audible target of the tone..no stab out..no glory.

PS-yeah..the “stab out” component was for
The Gear Forum Peanut Gallery💥

I had a faithful mouse fart volume
speaker shootout recently.
There’s a specific area with speakers such as
v-30’s & Creamback 75/65’s that won’t stab out until that volume wakes up the cat😻
Now ya’ stuck in a sticky pickle bro’,
”you can’t play pool with a rope”💯

Redbacks won by a good notch due to this area of
satisfaction.
It reminds me of surfing.
You have to get out there, paddle strong,
duck dive’s etc to get to the sets that break
at the curls..(watch out for the jetties & jellyfish👀)
V-30’s,H30’s, Blues , Golds EV’s, Governor, Veteran 30,

(EXCEPT the H30 that one no one likes, the Heritage G12C-H30 75hz-that one is actually very good),

-Or you hire a jet ski operator
guy to tow you out to the sets that
are scha’weeeeet=Redbacks, Greenback 20watters,old school CL80’s, Heritage 30’s 75’s

With most amplifiers with today’s master volumes
& implementations,
-Dude, it’s no longer about the master volumes
unless the master stinks, but nearly every amplifier with a master volume in todays climate is ar’right’.

I really dig what you do with your mind & hands dude.
Your ambition to design, build & create things’
-is authentically inspiring.
Cheers for YEARS my man🤘🏻
200.gif

105 is loud; not bedroom imo 😂

I’ve heard a lot of gunshots (a few hundred thousand) in my life as well, so I’m not sure where all the damage comes from but I’m pretty sure it’s drummers and big fucking amplifiers.

At home I try to keep things around 100 or lower. Doesn’t always happen. 😝
All I read is how expensive ammo has gotten.

I live in a ranch style home with my wife, my music room shares a wall with the living room, so I am usually playing guitar while she is watching TV. I got myself a permanent db meter for my music room like the boys at That Pedal Show, and have been acutely aware of volume ever since I started measuring. "Silent" sits around 45db, which sorta blew my mind. I figured silent = 0 db, but when you consider the freeways nearby, planes, refrigerators, etc - its all getting picked up even when your brain has autocancelled all that light ambient shit.

My smaller tube amps start cooking around 70-80db, and at that level I can get pleasing tones for practice. When I'm playing guitar and she's watching TV, I try to keep it at 85 db or less, otherwise she'll come and shut my door, which sucks during summertime cause it gets hot in there. When I'm home by myself, I'll play in the 95-100 db range - that's pretty close to stage volume for me, and my amps and pedals respond the way they would when playing live. I can't really do 105 db or louder in that room without ear plugs, and if I need to wear plugs, its defeating the purpose, imho.

Last week was jamming with some dudes here in Denver - two 100W full stacks, drums, and an ampeg with a fridge. Ear plugs were a necessity.
6YIMhY1l.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll let you know on a new level of quiet.
No careless in the whisper here.
Tomorrow I finish final loading up on a cross country move….
The place I’m posting up at has clean power🙏.
Where I’ve been been it’s RFI’s of galactic proportions.. wire spliced here, there, over there,
-intermittent is the new norm.
So, I haven’t bothered with clip’zz..hold on ..I’m comin’.,

Where I’ll be will be the ULTIMATE mouse fart volume test(s).
I’ve never had to worry about tube amp volumes before, actually my whole jammin’ life.
Dudes..this is huge..the test of all tests..
Anyways..I got my work cut out for me,
I’ll be driving a 16ft box truck while
pulling my fat whip behind for 1300 tall miles.
I’m goin’ where the women are hot rods &
the good times are ‘a plenty fellas🙌
I imagine I’ll be ‘ear to ear’ in beaver by Saturday evening…. livin’ high & wide….SALUTE💯

Since I'm going a bit deaf I have to monitor mine otherwise I get the inevitable knock at the door. 50-60 works at night and then 60-70 during the day. These are wife and neighbors home volumes. This runs on 5V so it stays on most of the day.

Had to load up Jimi with the Jimi for some
of that Spanish Castle Magic….
I can’t wait until I arrive at my destination
and open this back up and give it a go..
Onto the next one dude’s..

The best packing & moving music is SEGER…btw..

Goin’ mobile..cuz I’m an air conditioning gypsy

Attachments

• 3A6A89DF-FD5E-4F60-B9F8-1BB2FA48D7FC.jpeg
    3A6A89DF-FD5E-4F60-B9F8-1BB2FA48D7FC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 884D9792-B5A8-45B7-80B2-706AF4173993.jpeg
    884D9792-B5A8-45B7-80B2-706AF4173993.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back