What Are You Working On Right Now?

Learning how to read music for the 100th time. Getting back into Jazz and tab just doesn't do it. I do great at songs I've been listening to for years, but with Jazz standards I've never heard of just seems easier to play (for me) reading the notes - as long as it's in the key of C (so far!)

Trying my hand at jazz soloing. No hard bop or anything...yet. Starting out on simpler standards from the Real Book. The first two I'm doing is Footprints and Fly Me To The Moon. A little bit of chromaticism, but not too wild.

Trying my hand at jazz soloing. No hard bop or anything...yet. Starting out on simpler standards from the Real Book. The first two I'm doing is Footprints and Fly Me To The Moon. A little bit of chromaticism, but not too wild.

This and all of his stuff is excellent.

Maybe so, but the negative title starting with the word "stop" and the big red X has me on alert. I'm always wary of that type of a sales pitch.

Maybe I'll watch the vid when I have time. Right now I better put my time in with the Real Book to keep up with the old school jazzers that are 10-20 years older than me and who's opinions I revere. We use use charts from the Real Book and similar charts when we play. Right now I got no spare time in my practice and rehearsal routine to add additional material.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but the negative title starting with the word "stop" turns me off. I'm always wary of that typed of pitch. Maybe I'll check it out when I have time.
Great channel, he’s just saying learn the form .

Yes of course once you know AABA, ABAC Rhythm changes and other commom forms in standards, it's easier. Once you know the common forms, your II V Is, altered chords etc. it's a matter of memorizing the changes. The real book is just a chart, you've got to apply musicianship and knowledge of harmony to it. I got a degree in music so it makes it easier to apply what I learned to charts. NowI gotta go so I don't have time for a long discussion on this. I gotta finish practicing so the old guys don't eat me alive tomorrow when we rehearse :LOL:.

Yes of course once you know AABA, ABAC Rhythm changes and other commom forms in standards, it's easier. Once you know the common forms, your II V Is, altered chords etc. it's a matter of memorizing the changes. The real book is just a chart, you've got to apply musicianship and knowledge of harmony to it. I got a degree in music so it makes it easier to apply what I learned to charts. NowI gotta go so I don't have time for a long discussion on this. I gotta finish practicing so the old guys don't eat me alive tomorrow when we rehearse :LOL:.
Have a look at his stuff it is universally excellent..

Sad Basset Hound GIF by Martina Scott

I don't know why, but every time I use a sweet Piano sample I am immediately
transported into sad sack Crooner land. :idk

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

I am currently working through the TrueFire jazz guitar learning path as I've always wanted to learn and improve jazz guitar. I started it a couple years ago then forgot about it, and picked it back up a couple weeks ago.

Right now I'm speeding through the "late beginner to intermediate" videos as they are pretty easy, but I have picked up a couple things. I'm not great with chords (or theory), so learning the real names and alternate shapes of "jazzy chords" that I've been playing for decades is nice.

I mean actually learn the songs 🤣
The number of times I seen brass sections using sheet music for soul bands is hilarious.
I think next door’s cat probably knows the parts.
It just occurred to me that the title of the thread is "What Are You Working On Right Now". My post about currently using the Real Book was not an invitation for comments about other methods that don't involve using the Real Book. Nor to give an opportunity to open a debate on another topic about using charts vs not using charts or reading music vs playing by ear. That subject has been debated on these forums before and is a separate topic. For those who want to debate this, a new post can be started on those topics. I'd like to redirect this post back to "What Are You Working On Right Now".

Last edited:
My post about currently using the Real Book was not an invitation for comments about other methods that don't involve using the Real Book. Nor to give an opportunity to open a debate on another topic about using charts vs not using charts or reading music vs playing by ear.
This is a public internet forum and people are going to comment as they feel in a thread this long, not as you dictate unless you own the place.

OK, you are working on the Real Book. I am not and don't care about the Real Book whatsoever.

Back