What Are You Working On Right Now?

After pinching my fret-hand pinky today :facepalm, I'm working on that irritating overlapping 'noise' I still haven't quite conquered, when changing strings.

I've gotten pretty good at raising my finger just enough to mute out the string, such as when going from a note on the B, to a higher note on the e. If you lift the lower finger completely off the string, with high gain, it will sound just enough to blend in with the next note, and cause this nasty-sounding dissonance, if even just briefly. And I hate it! I'm trying to get my string changes just as clean as if I played the next note on the same string.

Going the other direction is easy, because you've got the lower note fretted with a finger that 'drapes' over the higher string.

But I've now discovered another issue- When doing a change like I first described, if the note I'm releasing is say, on the 12th fret, even if I lift my finger only enough to still keep it on the string and mute it, if I'm fretting that note right up against the 12th fret, even as I lift/mute that string, I'll still get the harmonic! It's only a teeny bit, but again, with high gain, that's all it takes to make a riff sound bad.

So now, since I'm anal about trying to play as clean as I can, I'm now focusing on making sure I'm fretting those notes back away from the fret as much as I can, to keep my finger off the harmonic.

These are the details that make me really admire the guys who can play super-fast licks with not only precision, but also clean as a baby's ass. Because with high gain, I'm pretty damn sure they had to zero in on these same details.

And with so many riffs in Em, you're going to run into this harmonic issue at some point, if you play solos in this style.

After pinching my fret-hand pinky today :facepalm, I'm working on that irritating overlapping 'noise' I still haven't quite conquered, when changing strings.

I've gotten pretty good at raising my finger just enough to mute out the string, such as when going from a note on the B, to a higher note on the e. If you lift the lower finger completely off the string, with high gain, it will sound just enough to blend in with the next note, and cause this nasty-sounding dissonance, if even just briefly. And I hate it! I'm trying to get my string changes just as clean as if I played the next note on the same string.

Going the other direction is easy, because you've got the lower note fretted with a finger that 'drapes' over the higher string.

But I've now discovered another issue- When doing a change like I first described, if the note I'm releasing is say, on the 12th fret, even if I lift my finger only enough to still keep it on the string and mute it, if I'm fretting that note right up against the 12th fret, even as I lift/mute that string, I'll still get the harmonic! It's only a teeny bit, but again, with high gain, that's all it takes to make a riff sound bad.

So now, since I'm anal about trying to play as clean as I can, I'm now focusing on making sure I'm fretting those notes back away from the fret as much as I can, to keep my finger off the harmonic.

These are the details that make me really admire the guys who can play super-fast licks with not only precision, but also clean as a baby's ass. Because with high gain, I'm pretty damn sure they had to zero in on these same details.

And with so many riffs in Em, you're going to run into this harmonic issue at some point, if you play solos in this style.
unwanted string noise is something that I really struggle with 😔

Turn down the gain.
giphy.gif

Back