What Are You Working On Right Now?

I'd really like to see that lick being performed properly and as cleanly as Andy Wood does it. Ed's version isn't too shabby, but the pre-bent C# is quite noticeably sharp (almost trending towards D), exactly the same issue I keep running into when doing it on the B and G strings - and also sometimes when trying on the E and B strings, using the same finger (ringfinger), but I'm getting pretty mixed results out of that version anyway, B string slipping away, E string slipping away, one of them dying away, both of them ringing at the same time, etc.
All that very likely has a lot to do with me not being used to this lick, but I'd still like to see a clean version of the actual working thing.
The E and B string way is easier. Andy could have done it that way (doesn't really matter if it sounds good though). That would be more inline with Nugent's way on Strangle Hold (as an example), in one spot.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see that lick being performed properly and as cleanly as Andy Wood does it. Ed's version isn't too shabby, but the pre-bent C# is quite noticeably sharp (almost trending towards D), exactly the same issue I keep running into when doing it on the B and G strings - and also sometimes when trying on the E and B strings, using the same finger (ringfinger), but I'm getting pretty mixed results out of that version anyway, B string slipping away, E string slipping away, one of them dying away, both of them ringing at the same time, etc.
All that very likely has a lot to do with me not being used to this lick, but I'd still like to see a clean version of the actual working thing.
Very good point.
First time I ever played that lick btw.

I do, at least ocassionally. But this one is really tough for me. Maybe just because I'm not used to it.
I've been doing it a while, although I try not to incorporate it into my stuff. Like I said earlier, I prefer to do variations on the theme. It's definitely an early Hendrix thing even though he didn't do it religiously. Gibbons used it too.

Ok, I found a spot where I did use a "variation". :facepalm:roflBut it's with an octave effect! #winning

Fast forward if you want to hear starting at 2:15.
Btw, I wanted the track to sound like something smelly and burning. Hope I succeeded. :ROFLMAO:

Btw, you misquoted me -- that should be from Ed.
No idea how that happened. Sometimes cookies hang onto posts that I don’t end up making and then have to be delete when I do make a post. Sometimes I even erase a post, but it re-appears when I revisit a thread. I must have left some stray “code.”

Ok, I found a spot where I did use a "variation". :facepalm:roflBut it's with an octave effect! #winning

Fast forward if you want to hear starting at 2:15.
Btw, I wanted the track to sound like something smelly and burning. Hope I succeeded. :ROFLMAO:

Great stuff there! Great playing too!

No idea how that happened. Sometimes cookies hang onto posts that I don’t end up making and then have to be delete when I do make a post. Sometimes I even erase a post, but it re-appears when I revisit a thread. I must have left some stray “code.”
Glaad Media Awards Gay GIF by Glaad

:grin

:beer

I’ll try to find a clip of him playing it. But it’s all over his new album. Some tracks are even easier to hear it than the example I posted.

Man I am so stoked with my progress lately. I haven't made any leaps lately, but what I have done is clean up some stuff that, at certain faster tempos I've been playing a little sloppy.

I've bee zeroing in on that problem tempo around 100-120 bpm, 16th notes, and forcing myself to not play any faster than I can do so comfortably, even if it means just picking 1 single note, until I get the pick going back and forth in perfect time. Then adding in the notes, and going a little faster, bit by bit.

I've run through some riffs up at around 150 that are really starting to come together, and man does that put a smile on my face!!

I just played the ending run-up part in the BATM solo at 115, and that flurry of notes at the end sounds SO COOL! But that damn thing is STILL like, 20 bpm faster! (I may never get that one.)

One thing that I added to my practice riffs that I can tell has really helped, is playing what Petrucci called 'Scale Fragments' in his instruction book/video. They can be boring, so I'll move the downbeat to each note, string together longer fragments that force a shift up, then back down, and play them with a triplet feel as well as a 16th note feel, always to a metronome.

Back