What’s your biggest weakness?

And everyone's age comments really makes me wish I would've found time to learn much earlier in life. @Stone and I at least FINALLY did buckle down, but it sure would've been much much easier if I had the dexterity and range of motion I used to. Hell, even using a friggorin' screwdriver has become challenging, falling out of my hands, not sticking in the wall well when I throw it, etc. :rofl

And everyone's age comments really makes me wish I would've found time to learn much earlier in life. @Stone and I at least FINALLY did buckle down, but it sure would've been much much easier if I had the dexterity and range of motion I used to. Hell, even using a friggorin' screwdriver has become challenging, falling out of my hands, not sticking in the wall well when I throw it, etc. :rofl
ahh man this is so true ... many regrets, but at least were finally doing it and more importantly we are enjoying the journey
:headbang

IMG_0996.jpeg

you’re doing it all wrong
This is the way 😂

Playing a minor bar chord and getting the g string to sound. I also have a tendency to use too much vibrato on single notes.
With my fat tradie (blue collar) fingers, I've taken to throwing out the middle octave note, as it leaves more physical clearance between the 5th tone and the minor/major 3rd on the G. There's already the root and fifth below strongly defining the chord in the bass. Leaves the pinky free also to fret a 7th tone (or an add 6th a fret back) on the B string as well (where reckon it sounds better).

Same technique translates to the A position chords too. The 6th/7th can be added on the high E with the pinky.

Just one thing to try anyway.

I have many weaknesses but I think my biggest one is patience. That ties in with my ADHD. What I mean is I only have interest in playing cover songs with other people. Original music? Yeah sometimes I write/create but I have like literally 300 hours of unfinished material. If a cover song takes me more than say 30 minutes to nail down the bare bones of it, I get pissed off and I have to put that one away for a day or two.

Consistency, ffs. Running into it (or the lack thereof) all the time and it's driving me mad.
Just now: Started to record something yesterday evening (bit of guitar noodling for an online cooperation), went more or less fine but I thought I should do the final recordings today as I felt exhausted and what not. But today, even after an hour of warmup (*way* longer than what I usually go for), I'm not even near the results of yesterday. And it's also not as if what I was planning to play would be specifically technically challenging or anything. Everything just seems to be wrong, timing, tone, articulation - *blargh*!
The only way of adressing this would possibly be to always leave a lot of headroom, but then, as said, the very thing I'm on right now isn't even requiring much technical skills, I'd usually play something meaningful without any warmup and such.
Sucks.

My biggest problem is thinking like a mix engineer when I'm practicing. I listen to myself, and I'm constantly questioning my tone. Would it be right in this context or that context? It's so counterproductive. So I have to fight the urge to mess with my tone rather than just to play.

Last edited:
Back